Your "Custom Shop" Fenders

Discussion in 'Fender' started by leftyguitarman, Jun 7, 2009.

1. leftyguitarman

leftyguitarman Senior Member

How many of you guys, like myself, love to customize Fenders? I know I sure as hell do. Post some of your custom Fenders here!

[​IMG]

Starting with the white one. The white one was originally black and had the neck that the black one has now. I bought it at a pawn shop for $150 with a hard case. It originally had a diamond plate chrome pickguard, push pull pots and a SD Hot Rails in the neck and bridge and a SD 59 JB (I think) in the mid position. I sold all the pickups and put a black pickguard on it with GFS Pro Tube pickups. Wasn't content with those after several months. I moved to Arizona and needed a project to keep me occupied so I sanded it down, painted it white, and made it what it is now. I sold the neck that was on it, bought a right handed neck with rosewood, a Warmoth pickguard, an Alnico III pickup for the bridge and an Alnico V for the neck. Wired it like a Telecaster. It's got amazing tone and great playability. And a hell of a story.

The second guitar, the black one, was my first Strat. An '07 MIM Strat. I swapped necks on the guitars originally. The black one has Texas Specials in it, wired like an Eric Johnson Strat so the tone pot controls the bridge pickup. Sperzel Locking tuners and a Tele tip for the switch. Both are killer guitars, even though they're all MIM parts (except the pickups and electronics). They both have Sprague Orange Drop caps. The black Strat has vintage cloth covered wiring. Anyways, just thought I'd share my custom Fenders. I'm interested to see what you guys have. :D

2. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

2006 MIM I picked up for $200 loaded with Texas Specials. Tossed on some Fender locking tuners, matching knobs & tip and later a graphite nut (not pictured).

[​IMG]

2006 MIM 60th Anniversary model with Sheptones, 300K CTS pots - second tone pot's a spring loaded push-push for S1 switching - and Fender locking tuners. Graphite saddles, a pearloid guard, black knobs & switch tip, and eventually I put a graphite nut on this one, too.

[​IMG]

3. Paragon

Paragon Senior Member

[​IMG]

Strat partscaster.. Black body, a rosewood neck and tort pickguard on it. I installed a vintage style steel block tremolo with stamped saddles. 5-springs on it. Recently changed all the electronics to CTS pots and a TBX tone pot for the bridge/neck. Original Fender Lace Sensors in it now :thumb:
    Only thing left to do is to make a bone nut and get some better tuners.. and some fine tuning of the action. The short saddle height set screws for the low E are not long enough when the trem is blocked.

4. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Here's my MIM Nashville Tele. I changed the neck to a Warmoth w/Kingwood fretboard, stainless steel frets, compound radius and a boatneck carve on the back, Wilkinson compensated saddle and a perloid pickguard.
    [​IMG]

5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Heres my squire vibes, stock pups ( great sounding, no need for a change, A3's on the 50's, A5's on the 60's), new guards and wiring, awesome guitars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

This one started out well. Fan Frets, good electronics, good woods.

Unfortunately, had a close encounter of the strange kind one evening and after they stuck the alien anal probe in the output jack, this was the result. Works great, plays great, easy to tune and intonate.

[​IMG]

7. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

8. Jayce62

Jayce62 Senior Member

I think this counts. I didn't do the customization (or ask for it for that matter) but it happened.

[​IMG]

Used to be white pickguard, white knobs, white switch tip, white pickup covers.
    Is now, Chrome pickguard, black knobs, black switch tip, black pickup covers, and whammy bar snapped off in bridge (I did that one :) )

9. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Forgot my tele....:slap:

Here she was stock......

[​IMG]

as she is now

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

I like the tint on the neck of your 60's CVS, Iceman - any plans to apply that to the 50's?

11. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

The 60's comes that way from the factory and so does the other 50's except the LPB for some reason

see here:
    [​IMG]

12. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

here's my "Custom Shop Fender"

[​IMG]

13. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

Ah, I'd assumed it was a DIY tint job like on his Tele. Dig the Monterey Pop Strat :thumb:

14. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I wish I could tint the 50's strat like my tele, alas the tele neck has a satin finish, easy to tint imediately, and yellows quickly naturally, the 50's vibe is poly coated, its gonna stay pale period unless extreme action is taken, dunno why they dont tint the necks on the LPB model, they do on every other vibe, from tele to to the olympic white that was introcuced the same time as the LPB.....The 60's is dark like that out of the box, like all vibes except the LPB, the contrast does look kinda weird with the highly tinted necks on the LPB, a little darker would be nice though, the half way point would be dead on I think, at least its not as stark white as my tele was stock.....

15. Guido

Guido The Gweeeed V.I.P. Member

I want that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

2005 Nashville Deluxe pulled off the stock pick guard w/ the middle strat pup w/ GFS mini & custom pick guard.
    [​IMG]

17. alexx1263

alexx1263 Senior Member

parts caster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. MaidenStrat02

MaidenStrat02 Senior Member

Here are my two Hot Rodders. Hope you like!:D
    First up is my tribute to Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. The neck is a 2008 Highway 1 with Jumbo Frets. I installed a Tusq nut, vintage type string tree, the Onyx Forge neck bolt system, and Kluson Deluxe Double Row tuners. The body is a 2006 Highway 1. The only original parts are as follows: tremelo springs, claw, tremelo base plate and saddles, and the input jack cup. All the trem screws, block and trem arm are from Callaham. All pots are CTS from RS, Jenson PIO caps, a CRL 3 way blade switch and Switchcraft output jack. The pickups are a DiMarzio Super Distortion F spaced in the bridge, a DiMarzio Area 58 in the middle and a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary P.A.F. in the neck which are all creme. I used vintage style cloth wire to hook everything up. I half made the pickguard myself. It's a single ply stained white 8 hole that I cut out the pickup positions. On Daves original strat you can see that the neck and bridge pickups are closer to the Neck and Bridge respectivly. I tried to duplicate that as close as possible. The extras I threw on are the trademark 1\8" thick chrome pickup surrounds,creme knobs with gold lettering (not black as on some others), black switch knob, brass trem tip knob, and a set of Dunlop Strap Locks to keep it off the floor. The neck has started to tint some since I took this picture so it's not so harsh looking now. Somewhere down the line I'll probably put the original neck from a Dave Tribute model on it once they are available through Stratosphere on Ebay.
    [​IMG]

My 2nd customized Strat is a little more simple. It has a 2006 Highway 1 60th Anniversary neck with the same Onyx Forge mounting system. I installed Fender 70's style tuners, a vintage string tree, and the Earvana nut. The body is a 2007 Mexican Strat. The tremelo is flat to the body and I put in the block that originally came in the Highway 1 above. The screws are also all from Callaham. The bridge saddles are the new kind from Graphtech. They are chrome plated stainless steel with the graphite inserts in the string ramp. All electronics are the same as above. The Pickups are all DiMarzios; Super Distortion 3 in the bridge and Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in the mid and neck. I'm most likely to replace the bridge pup with a regular Super distortion. As you can see, black hardware on the body and Dunlop Strap locks here too.
    [​IMG]
    My SG is customized too but that's another story.

19. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

20. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

I shouldnt have looked at this thread. Stupid GAS, I want a Tele:laugh2: