You wouldn't believe this!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by furtom, May 2, 2013.

1. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Thank you all for the welcomes!

The guitar has been set up. I replaced the noisy pots, cap and pickups for good measure. I got the Stew Mac Golden Age P-90s. I'm no expert on P-90s, but the guitar is sounding and playing much better than it has any right to be doing.

The only negative it that Pigtail bridge. It's got a funny break angle. The the angle of the strings after it comes out of the wrap is much shallower than the angle of the saddles. There is a lot of space where it should be flush, I think.

It seems to be a poor design, unless I'm missing something. A few strings buzz a bit. Not exactly sure what to do about it. I'm taking it to my tech on Monday, but he already looked at it and didn't sound hopeful.

The odd thing is, this has nothing to do with the guitar. And that was a pricey bit of upgrade there. I'm not happy about it...

2. Chascat

Chascat Premium Member

The bridge posts popped out when I was changing the strings on my Epi LP Std.I rolled a piece of thin card (off the cover of a magazine - that sort of thickness) and lined the post holes with it -then hammered (gently!) the posts back in. Sorted -now they're completely solid and steady.

3. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Yup. I did something like that, too. The problem with the bridge isn't connected with the post issue. That was solved.

4. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

:hmm:

:thumb: Welcome to this blessed place, mate!

1 person likes this.
  6. catmandu

catmandu Senior Member

Howdy!

1 person likes this.
  7. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Just a friendly update on this guitar. The long and short of it: This guitar now plays and sounds better than it has any right to be doing.

New pots and caps have done their job. Guitar is clean and buzz free. It was a little noisy to start with.

The leaning post problem has been fixed. The Pigtail bridge was quite a disappointment. The tolerances weren't good enough and the saddles buzzed. I was going to return it, but my tech, Evan Gluck, who is a fabulous guy in NY, solved it with a kind of putty.

It's odd as Pigtail has gotten good reviews, but this one was a bit of a problem. I hope and believe it's just a one-off, but I'd shy away from their products in the future, probably.

You know, I think the stock pickups were cleaner than the replacements. When I was getting the parts, I got the pickups on a whim. I probably didn't really need them, strictly speaking.

Anyway, the StewMac ones sound pretty good, too. More authentic for sure. I'm sure 99 percent of players would consider them an improvement, but I have weird tastes... :) But this is not any kind of complaint. They are very good pickups and a great value, too. I'm keeping them IN. :D I wouldn't hesitate to try their humbuckers either after this experience.

The funny thing about this guitar, and the reason I bought it, I love the neck. Weird, but true. I guess I like cheap chunky. :)

8. Groove Toad

Groove Toad Banned

Welcome to the festivities :cheers:

1 person likes this.