You wouldn't believe this!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by furtom, May 2, 2013.

1. furtom

furtom Senior Member

I've always loved Les Pauls, but being interested in jazz, I couldn't ever quite pull the trigger. Just a bit too bright.

But I'm a Gibson man, through and through, and it bugged me that I never could find a LP that suited me.

Well, last night, I just took a walk into GC, though I hate to admit it, and I tried a half dozen. Epis, Standards etc.

I was on my way out when I picked up an Epiphone Special with P-90s. Just on a lark and for fun. Yes. I said Epi Special.

I was literally stunned. I loved the guitar's feel, I loved it's sound. I just couldn't believe it was a $125 guitar. Yeah, that's right. I went in there thinking $2k, maybe, and I walked out with a guitar, gig bag, and strings for well under $200.

Spent a good part of the day today setting it up. I happened to have a wrap around bridge with adjusters, so that went on. Of course, that meant a lot of tweaking afterward. Actually, it was a PITA.

After a full day with it, I still don't have buyers remorse, except I wish it didn't say Epiphone Special on the headstock. Other then that, I can't believe how well it plays and sounds.

I really think the maple tops add a brightness to the sound that the specials, juniors, etc., don't have. Turned out to be just the thing.

Yeah, it would be improved with new pots and a cap (one vol, one tone), but it's nothing to lose sleep over (especially at that price).

I've seen horror stories on the Net about this guitar, but I'm not seeing the problems others are having. Thing stays perfectly well in tune. I'd have thought the nut would have to go, but it seems to be doing a fine job.

The satin dark cherry, or whatever they call it, looks pretty good, too. Maybe I just got really lucky.

Who'd a thought?

I'm already thinking and scheming on getting a Gibson special with P-90s...

1 person likes this.
  2. TheZeppelinKid1991

TheZeppelinKid1991 Senior Member

WELCOME:thumb: pics please:photos::rock:

3. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Welcome to MLP!:wave:

Btw, funnily enough, the LP was originally intended to be a "jazz guitar".:thumb:

4. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Gee, I didn't think anyone would be interested in pics of that. OK. I'll get it going in a bit. Thanks. :)

I've been lurking for a long time around here. This is a really great place...

1 person likes this.
  5. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Don't I know it! I love the LP. Believe me, I know there is a better one out there, perfect for what I want to do with it. Until I find it, I'll just keep looking. I've found that looking at LPs can become a full-time occupation.

2 people like this.
  6. TheZeppelinKid1991

i love guitars no matter the cost:D

1 person likes this.
  7. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

If you like that, just wait until you play a Gibson CS Special.

1 person likes this.
  8. Geardog

Geardog Senior Member

It is the Tone, not the price. Welcome.

1 person likes this.
  9. furtom

furtom Senior Member

OOOHHH. I didn't know about these! Wow. The pulse quickens...

For a guitar like that, I could even grow to love TV yellow...

10. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. furtom

furtom Senior Member

OK. Photos coming up!

I can't set this guitar up right. Some buzzing that won't go away with reasonable, or even less than reasonable action. I made two changes, so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

I put 11s on it, that can surely be the reason; but I also changed the tailpiece to a wraparound adjustable. It did not buzz with the original strings and tailpiece.

BTW, I noticed the bridge posts are not completely flush with the top. Is this acceptable or is it an issue? It was worse right after I put the bridge on. I loosened the strings and banged the posts back in. That almost took care of it, but they are still slightly pulling up. I'm not sure what the "spec" is for that, but it certainly doesn't look like it should do that. I did not change the posts when I changed the tail.

I'm attaching photos. It actually looks worse in the photo than in real life. Must be the flash.

(Please don't mind the bed.)

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. TheZeppelinKid1991

nice:thumb:. how low is your action? have you adjusted the truss rod? also the bridge posts popping out might be a problem.:hmm:

13. furtom

furtom Senior Member

The action is right now on the high side to minimize the buzz. It seems to buzz more below the 5th fret, though the b string buzzes slightly up the neck, too.

Yes, I did adjust the truss rod. I've been fooling with it. Nothing seems to really stop the buzzing. Right now the neck is very straight. I tried adding a bit of relief, but that didn't change anything so I put it back to straight. Maybe it needs a bit more.

I imagine changing to 11s uncovered fret messiness that didn't show up with 10s (or whatever was on there). I dont' think it's anything major.I'm pretty sure a good tech could set it up in an hour.

The leaning posts, however, bother me. I'm sure I didn't do it. :fingersx: All I did was swap the tailpiece. However, maybe it was loose when I did that and I didn't notice. As I said, I improved it by banging the posts down, but it's not perfect.

1 person likes this.
  14. furtom

furtom Senior Member

So, now I have to decide if I want to sink any money into this cheapo. If I need a pro setup, I might as well put in cap and pots and maybe a nut. Once I get started, I'm gonna want pickups next...

15. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

HNGD! :thumb:

16. TheZeppelinKid1991

it may be a cheapo but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed to play beautifully.:thumb:

17. furtom

furtom Senior Member

Yes, you are right. But on the other hand, I find my self thinking. $250 parts, $150 installation and setup... (I'm just guessing here.) I might as well return it and get a Gibson. The Gibby versions of this guitar are not that much money, esp. used.

1 person likes this.
  18. furtom

furtom Senior Member

I'm keeping it. I put some more relief back in the neck and the situation improved. Strange, I thought I did that yesterday, but today it worked. Dunno. :confused:

So, I decided to do this right. I put in an order at Stewmac:

• 1 TUSQ Nuts - For Epiphone, slotted
    • 1 Pigtail Aluminum Wraparound Bridge - Chrome
    • 1 TonePros Locking Studs - Nickel, Metric thread M8 x 1.25; set of 2
    • 2 Golden Age P-90 Pickups - Parsons Street P-90

I resisted the temptation to change the switch and the tuners. They seem to be working. Sure, Gotoh would be great, but you gotta draw the line somewhere!

Can I join your club now? :)

19. adamsvok

adamsvok Senior Member

Very well then... We shall let you in our secret club... :) WELCOME!

20. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

:wave: and welcome to the MLPF!