you tube collaborations/split screen

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by guitar_randy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

On you tube there are people who get together with other you tubers and do collaborations where one guy plays bass,another guy drums ,another guy guitar,another singing,etc to basically make up a band and make songs by somehow split screening the different people playing and somehow they are on the split screen playing the same song with the timing synced and all.
    How is this done? Is special gear needed to do this or is it basic and I just need to learn how?
    I also see some you tube vids of like one guy with a split screen of just himself playing the different instruments and having it time synced together to play a song.
    I'd very much like to know how to do this but don't know how or whatr I would all need to do it.
    Is this very easy to do or pretty complex and what is needed to do it?

2. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

There are two components to this outcome.

Recording and assembling the audio collaboration part(s) (1) and then recording and assembling the video parts (2).

Yes, you need video editing software that is capable of this function. And then you need all the participants to make a video of themselves playing exactly what they recorded for their part(s).

Then you assemble it in the video editing software and make sure all the different videos are in sync with the audio collaboration track. The audio tracks are usually produced in Reaper or Pro Tools or several of the other DAW's. (Digital Audio Workstation software)

The audio tracks are usually produced in Reaper or Pro Tools or several of the other DAW's. (Digital Audio Workstation software) You'll need to make a few hardware and software investments for this.

The best value Video Editing Software for PC, IMO, is Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 Ultra and it's usually $79.99 at Newegg. (see below)

However, sign up for Newegg's email specials and I see it for $39.99 or $49.99 quite often. Make sure your PC is powerful with a 64 bit OS and lots of Ram and it will work nicely. All decent Video Editing Software packages are computer resources hogs. And so are the DAW choices. So this applies unilaterally.

If you can afford Sony Vegas Pro, even better.

I have two collaborations on YT done like this. Working on a third for too long now.

I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing your first.

3. 6stringmofo

6stringmofo Senior Member

4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

These aren't your average results......

Some of my favorites that have done this (watch in HD or highest resolution for best audio):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwC0NkecVzI"]Chiara Canzian e Giulio Carmassi - Lover, you should have come over - cover - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy9dt0PRIIk"]Wilco - On and On and On - entirely re-recorded from scratch. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhbzi3O8zh0"]Virtual Zeppelin-Ten Years Gone - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  5. guitar_randy

6. guitar_randy

Sounds like what I wanted to know.
    Thanks.
    It also is obvious to me neither of my 2 computers would handle the task. I really am interested in it though and looks like it would be fun and useful.

1 person likes this.
  7. zendriveseven

zendriveseven Senior Member

Here's one I did a while ago with some guys over at Vanderbilly. It's a lot of fun collaborating with other guys and putting the pieces together. We even got a nod on the Skynyrd facebook and twiiter page. I'm on the right side with the Leas Paul and Green Strat:

Sweet Home Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT7EVJqOPBc

BOC - Don't Fear the Reaper (my guitar tracks where sync'd a little too early) White Tele and Les Paul

The "organ" sound at :40 is my Les Paul volume swells using some delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYK8abA8tQ4

1 person likes this.
  8. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

That zendriveseven guy has been showing off for years. (above)

Try Reaper for recording covers (Audio). It is the most forgiving on PC's that aren't hopped up!

Video? That might be a project to assign another member of the collaboration to do. LOL

Look into finding a way! Lotsa fun!

1 person likes this.
  9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

You mean like this? :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQavee0RA8I]Blues Jam - YouTube[/ame]

That was an old video I made just as a proof of concept for myself. I was just using GarageBand and iMovie at the time, though I think I had to work with some Windows software for the split screen effect. Audio recorded straight into my computer, and video recorded with my camera. Then, I just imported the video into the video editor, pulled off the audio from the camera, and added the audio recorded by the computer. You just need to do something like those movie clipboards to help sync up the audio and video.

Now, I use Reaper as a DAW, and I think that it has built in video editing capabilities, but I've never tried.

1 person likes this.
  10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Hey Randy,

Or anybody else that is interested in producing videos.

In my email this morning is a blast from Newegg with Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 Ultra on sale for $34.99. That's a phenomenal price! And offer free shipping (supposedly slower delivery time).

Here's the link to the Email Blast. It's half way down the page on the left. When checking out, use the Promo Code: EMCPCWC54

The promo code get's the sale price. These usually last 24 to 48 hours, so if you want it, jump on it! Good luck!

Newegg.com - Go Forth & Mobilize......$80 off 23.6" 1080p LED-LCD Monitor, $9.99 2000mAh Power Bank