YOU TOO can record on a budget!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Joeydego, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

So, got the great amp and guitar? Love your tone? Think you need thousands to sound great recorded?

Guess again.

Recorded my Knaggs Kenai guitar, Friedman BE100, split 2 cabs (marshall 4x10 and oversized recto cab) and threw a Korg SDD3000 in the loop.

Used a 25 dollar condenser mic right into the interface. :wow:

Total recording cost:

25 for the mic, 20 for the cable. 300 for the interface, 79 for the headphones.

I think this guitar tone is pretty boss for homegrown. Not edited for clams, excuse the lil bits and pieces. Check out that tone tho :wow:out of a 25 dollar condenser mic at that.

https://soundcloud.com/joeydego/25-bucks-and-some-spare-time

424 dollar recording budget.
    9 grand in guitar gear :laugh2::laugh2:

Tenacious T, TP6, Frogfur and 13 others like this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Good one Joey!

It really is the golden age for being able to record with high quality on the cheap.

This demonstration proves what I always like to say....the performance is king.

That's what people hear. The technology of the recording equipment is good enough now not to have to worry about it much.

Performance is king!

6 people like this.
  3. Joeydego

I really was thrilled with these results with just a couple hours work. I still need to edit (free) get real drums and bass (free) and mix (free). These tones, at least to my old ears, are perfectly acceptable. If I walked out of a studio with the right room, the best mics and pres and they gave me this, I'd be fine with that. I can do so much now in editing and mixing, I know I can get this good and polished.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

But..BUT!!!!! It's NOT a LES PAUL!!!

Ban him!!!!!

3 people like this.
  5. Joeydego

You can't shut me up on the Knaggs! SSC incoming, I hope next week. The top looked redicilous! Bareknuckles come standard. Can't wait to play some White Wedding with the band when it comes in.

3 people like this.
  6. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

well TheX,he still has his black LP Custom as his soundcloud avatar....
    thusly preventing summary banishment for achieving a superior recorded tone sans anything remotely resembling a Les Paul :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Well JD.... You know you're ruining the whole "elite" part of the recording club!

Couldn't ya just at least run it through a $2,000 preamp first? Now anybody can do it!

Ha! But not everybody can play like that! :naughty:

Never mind!

Looks/sounds like this is your "Happy Place". :cool:

2 people like this.
  8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Knaggs are badass guitars. They easily leave most Gibsons in the dust.

3 people like this.
  9. Joeydego

They're really private stock quality for a few bucks less. Incredible workmanship. My back is happier, too. At 7lbs it's considerably lighter than my LPC

1 person likes this.
  10. Joeydego

I had a REALLY nice pre, a Vintech 273. Gone.

11. yeti

yeti Senior Member

First off, great thread and great guitartone :applause:
    Freddy, I agree with you 95% but there are still lots of situations where an expensive mic and pre does make an enormous difference. I did this little comparison the other day between a U 87 and an MXL LDC my coworker scored on ebay for $39.00. In a dead room with a male voice on axis the mics sounded nearly identical and nobody could reliably identify the $3,500 mic vs the one that's basically priced at 1% of that cost:shock:. That's what we have here, a guitar rig with mics close and on axis i presume.
    But as soon as you move away and/ or off axis or introduce refections the MXL falls apart badly, I mean "unusable garbage bad". Funny thing is that radio guys like the U 87 in exactly the scenario where a $39.00 mic would do just fine. But if you need good reach across the entire spectrum and excellent non-colored off-axis response there's no cheap mic that will do that. The expensive stuff still has it's place. Anyway, I'm totally in agreement with what you're saying except I still see a lot of benefit in using high end gear in situations that demand it.
    But yeah, pretty amazing what you can do these days on a low budget, I don't even buy the "for a good drum sound you need a big room" line anymore.

2 people like this.
  12. Joeydego

I don't know enough about high end mics to dispute your point and it makes sense. I wonder just how different my tone would have been if I still had the Vintech. I really don't think I can do much better with a Vintech and a 57. I think I'm going to be using condensers for the foreseeable future on my guitar cabs. Side question: just how awful is that 100 dollar MXL ribbon mic? I'm not going 1300 into a royer but would consider that one.
    http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...e-p6gDQ&lsft=gclid:CIeLzMH0o8wCFQmQaQodM_cFnw

1 person likes this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Good stuff, Joey.

Back when I was regularly demoing, I'd skip on my Shure in favor of a cheap, high-impedance Teac that just had a really warm sound. There's a lot to be said for not letting dollar-signs dictate recording choices.

2 people like this.
  14. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

JD, where do you record your Friedman? Northern NYC or NJ?

Maybe it would be worth a try to demo one of my Rode NT2 LDC's.

They can take up to 135db without the pad. 145 with the pad engaged. That's freaking LOUD. Deafening! And do it well with all the articulation you'd want. If you can't find the sweet spot somewhere below that loud.....

Houston... We've got a problem.

Last used NT2 I bought was $140 on eBay. Can't beat the value/performance.

15. Joeydego

Thanks for the tip and the offer! I do have access to that mic and many others, as well as many high end comps and pres in NYC anytime I like. My landlord owns a pretty nicely stocked recording studio. We share gear.
    This mic I used was a Sterling SP30. Apparently, they have a higher than desirable noise floor, which didn't matter as the amp was cooking good when I tracked. I had the mic perpendicular to the floor on a 90 degree angle (straight up) and sort of sandwiched between the 2 cabs which were almost on a 90 degree angle themselves. I guess the wall of sound hitting the mic worked. I don't think my results will be as favorable on voice or acoustic. I also have the SP50. They came bundled for 50 bucks.
    This was tracked in NNJ

1 person likes this.
  16. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

NOW I know why you live there! LOL What an exceptional perk!

Good for YOU!

Keep Rockin! :dude:

2 people like this.
  17. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

Love the curveball at :56.

And all of it.

3 people like this.
  18. Joeydego

Thanks!

B7#11. A perfect candidate for the whole tone scale. Try it! I've kinda struggled to use that scale in a way it didn't sound too spacey and I think I've finally got it.

Spell the scale B
    A
    D#(this lends to your B7)
    E#(this is the #11)

Start on the 7th fret and skip the A string. B and A are on the 7th fret, the E and D strings. Grab the D# on the 8th fret of the G and the E# on the 6th fret of the B string. Thats it! All you have to do then is play a B whole tone, which couldn't be easier. You can pedal the open B against the 2,4,6,8,10 and 12th frets on that string. Its a very symmetrical scale. I'm sorry if I over simplified this, I don't know the extent of your music education and any other late beginners/early intermediate players will benefit from the explanation, too.

Happy picking and thanks for the listen!

4 people like this.
  19. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Damn that sounds good and the playing is stellar as always!:applause: :applause:

Very interesting how easy recording has become now....I remember going to a home studio while I was playing in the Ft. Eustis USO band(very short lived,dammit). Pretty big set up,console,iso rooms and such....took us all day to record one damn song:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

With your set up,I do believe one could knock out an album in a day:hmm:

20. Joeydego

I can probably track album worthy guitar tracks remotely with my laptop if I really had to. It's really incredible how far it's come

1 person likes this.