You think your speakers suck? Break them in first!!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Jan 24, 2016.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

My Pure Soul original cab had a Silver Bell and a Blue Dog alnico. Sold it to a friend who fell in love with it. Great combo and yes, I love Webers.

1 person likes this.
  2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Aha!! Great minds and all that,brother!!!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

For sure! Unfortunately Webers are too expensive in the UK. Fortunately over here we have some decent speaker builders too.

1 person likes this.
  4. bulletproof

Yup,that kinda works both ways,some of the speakers I was wanting(that elusive Tayden)......and hell,yes y'all have some great speaker builders!

Im gonna load the Webers into a Seismic 2x12,just until I can get a good ole Avatar 2x12.....Maybe. Ive been looking at some fellas raw cabs on the 'Bay and damn if those arent tempting as well:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  5. bulletproof

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Pure Soul with Weber Alnicos:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjtGuhzt4kU[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  7. bulletproof

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

The amp has so much character than most of its personality comes through whatever speaker you're using.

1 person likes this.
  9. bulletproof

Oh man,H...I found a real winner. I took that Silver Bell,put it in a 1x12 and am using it with my Phaez Gemini. Words cant describe it,for this,I really do need to shoot a vid....The Gemini is a JTM-right channel/Blackface -left channel amp....The JTM has a pull boost and when its engaged going through this speaker,brother,Im really nailing some early Billy G. tones along with some of my own. I cant quit playing the damn thing:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

that sounds amazing!!! video please!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. bulletproof

Im working on it,brother.....hoping vid dude stops by tomorrow:fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing it... at the end of the day, a well broken in speaker will become more "in-tune" with whatever you're feeding into it so looking forward to hear that silver bell maturing.

1 person likes this.
  13. bulletproof

Yes indeed,it sure will.....I had thought yesterday that the vid guy was gonna come over,alas,he has a new girl,so.....I just may end up buying a hand held vid device of my own soon:naughty: :laugh2: :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  14. bulletproof

Okay H,a couple weeks back,bought a Scumnico from NYC LPplayer....its the Vox version and holy crap,man,its a great speaker! Full and throaty with great lows,mids and highs....very smooth. Its a 65 watter and Im pushing it with my MB TA-30 and damn if it aint a match made in heaven....

Forgot to get pics,was very anxious to install and try it out...I'll do that later as I have an incoming NAD:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  15. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

A perfect example of this, are my WGS Retro 10.

I put them in 1x10" Birch enclosures, then made Birch backboards. Wow, they were very dark sounding speakers.

I broke the set up, which was being used for my Lead 12 mini stack, and used one each for my JCM1H and JMP1H. The JCM gets a lot more play and as the speaker breaks in more, its a very noticeable difference between the two now.

The speaker in the angle cab has really opened up well. I get nice tight defined highs, with these harmonics, that just make the hair on my arms stand up... whereas that tone, never used to be there.

Excellent advice.

2 people like this.
  16. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

My 30 year old Celestion G10L-35 sounds great! Broken in speakers truly rock.

bulletproof likes this.
  17. bulletproof

H !!! Good to see y’all!!!
    Y’all know how I am about Alnico speakers,right? I have begun to break out of that box,brother.
    I have really taken a shine to this here WGS...it’s in my SIBLY
    BD32F40F-DF76-4554-966B-656E7C336663.jpeg

scrumm21 and 5F6-A like this.
  18. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Looks awesome!!!

bulletproof likes this.
  19. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The consensus view here is surely true, and it's a real problem. I put a nice Weber 10 incher into my everyday workhorse amp, and it sounded extremely harsh and tight at first (to be expected, but still fairly ugly). Predictably, it is breaking in and starting to become more like the speaker I had hoped it would be. The problem is that the user has to do the break-in, and that doing so calls for playing at volume and for extended periods. (Some of the posts speak in terms of years -- an exaggeration, but still...) Obviously: Who the hell wants to do that? Put a fine speaker in your favorite amp and degrade it for the break-in period? Sure, playing "your" music may affect slightly how the speaker settles in, but I would myself be super-grateful if the high-end makers would do significant industrial break-in as part of the manufacturing process. Throwing in a new speaker and being rewarded by brittle, harsh sound is not my idea of a rewarding buying experience.

bulletproof likes this.
  20. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Don't tell nobody because it's my double top secret method, but when I break in speakers in a new amp, I whip out my Steinberger V skrang, clean rounds, and play watching tv... amp flat, bass tone dimed for full freq... Not loud at all. No radical thump & pluck, just a lot of playing runs in all registers...blues, jazz, whatever, just not a lot of abrupt wavefronts....at first... Works for me... Yep, Steiny V into a guitar amp....but don't tell nobody.... It's secret....

bulletproof likes this.