You think your speakers suck? Break them in first!!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Jan 24, 2016.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

How is that Alnico coming along?

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I tell ya what,brother...its different than other Alnc. Its not as open sounding,Im gonna give it a week or so and then do a side-by-side vid with a Weber Sig Alnc. BTW,Im really digging the Weber!!!! Its replaced the Jensen...

The WGS does have its own voice to be sure,not saying that I dont like it,because I do...its just...different.:hmm:

What have you been up to??

1 person likes this.
  3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-FHaRSBm8s[/ame]

A short video showing what the combo of a Greenback and a Celestion A type can sound like. Recording quality is not great and there are a couple of playing goofs but you get an idea. You can hear the Celestion here in a closed back 2x12 cab alongside a Tayden True Brit.

The Strat was played with with vol knob really low for a clean, bluesy tone into a Mooer Blues Crab pedal (great affordable mild overdrive pedal) into JTM45 type head. I like leaving the Blues Crab on all the time and adjust the vol knob at the guitar a là Peter Green for effortless transition from clean to girthy; as you crank the knob the tone morphs from the usual JTM45 silk to more of a really fantastic Plexi-type glassy, organic tone.

BTW, the Celestion sounded superb. Great, massive blooming low end available and as you can hear no lacking in high end either.

Both speakers had been broken in slightly. Still some way to go but not bad for now. :lol:

What do you think???

1 person likes this.
  4. bulletproof

Oh yaaa,man!! That sounds great! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Really dig the high end " clearness ",,,,,is that a word?:laugh2:

Okay,now,what I need is an all out,balls out rocker from you,man!!!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

That was actually my friend Steve playing (he´s more of a piano player). I'm a bit of a blues player too but I enjoy a good rocker as well!!
    I agree about the clarity. Amazing amp that is just a little bit better with the Mooer. The Celestion and the Tayden combo is brilliant.
    The amp head was set:

Gain: 6/10
    Treble: 5/10
    Mid:4/10
    Bass: 2/10
    Master vol: 8/10
    Presence: 4/10

1 person likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I bought a single Celestion Heritage Greenback to put in a custom made cab that I've ordered (a mini 2061CX copy). In the meantime I've put it in an old Line 6 combo to use as a 'cab' and I've been very happy with it straight out of the box.

The thing is I'm only running it from a 1 watt Marshall JMP-1H and occasionally my Vox NT15G2 (15 watts, but never really cranked up any louder than the Marshall). Makes me wonder how long it'll take to break it in? The combo it is in now is open backed so less 'air spring' effect than when I put it in the final closed back cab, so perhaps by the time the cab comes it'll be done as much as it's going to be.

I did consider connecting it up to my home theatre set up, but my sub amp could potentially blow the 20 watt Greenback to pieces (my sub drivers are 1500 watts with appropriate amp driving them). Perhaps I'd better just let my guitar amp do it...:D

2 people like this.
  7. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

1 watt maxed should get that cone moving!! Generally you want to use one third of the power but for sure something is better than nothing. Play some uncompressed slap bass tracks to get the speaker working. The Vox should be better though. It might not seem louder than the Marshall but it is. Be careful 15 watts is very close to the 20 watt max wattage. Good choice of speaker, btw

3 people like this.
  8. bulletproof

+1.....:thumb:

2 people like this.
  9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Breaking in the A type has been rather timely. Going to be used for a pro session in May. I will be posting results after. The Pure Soul through it sounds great!

1 person likes this.
  10. bulletproof

Wow,no kidding!?!? Thats excellent! Looking forward to hearing/seeing the results.... And remind me H,what is the Pure Soul?

Im still working with the WGS,but,honestly man,the Weber has just about knocked every one of my faves out of the list....I just won auction on a Weber Silver Bell Aln that Im very excited to try out. Should have done the Webers a long time ago....:shock:

1 person likes this.
  11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Pure Soul? It's my own custom amp. Very much like a vintage JTM45 with a couple of Bassman nods and one or two Plexi twists.
    Built by the guy who makes the amps for Carl Martin but under my exact specs.

Mazda, Mullard and GEC (KT66s) valves. All NOS.
    PTP wiring
    Obsolete Electronics OT
    Sozo and Auricap caps

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. bulletproof

Very nice,brother,very nice! :thumb:

For some reason,I thought I remembered you playing a Fender ....sheesh,see what happens when Im gone for a few years and change my nickname,I forget sh!t....big time!! :laugh2:

Ya know,Im really thinking that a custom amp is the way to go. Dont get me wrong,I love my Mesa(s),but,Man,I sure do miss something in them....

Just as a side note,Im teaching my brother just how important a cab is in relation to speakers and tone. He got a cab for like 30 bucks and cant understand why it sounds like crap:shock: :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. bulletproof

1 person likes this.
  14. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

Cant thank this thread enough! Even if it was a while ago, I decided to break in my speakers. I had never cranked my Fender Vaporizer further than to 11' o clock because I thought it sounded to shrill and trebbley. Not even a plexi panel between me and the amp helped! I decided to bite the bullet, turned all tone off on the neck pickup, and commenced to breaking speakers in. Once every other day I would crank it and only play power chords and such, and after a few weeks I could finally use all pickup selections, and now Im totally on the tube amp train (I was sceptical at first..) It even sounds sweet using my beano boost to drive it, unreal tone! Tubes are replaced btw, which helped to sweeten the tone even further.

2 people like this.
  15. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Excellent news! !!!

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  16. bulletproof

Man,its amazing what a little break-in can do! So glad you are digging your tones!

So many speakers are stiff and shrill when new,all it takes is some time for them to smooth out.....in your future amp/speaker travels,you may find some just will never sound right no matter what you do. However,its a great journey,you will find that your ear becomes more in tune with the tones in your head:thumb:

EDIT: Forgot to mention the tube swap....tubes can play a huge part in the equation,brother.

2 people like this.
  17. jbat

jbat Member

IMO, one hour is nowhere near enough for most speakers.

2 people like this.
  18. bulletproof

I agree,however,its a good starting point:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  19. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Something is better than nothing!

1 person likes this.
  20. bulletproof

Well,y'all...I have begun a new endeavor. Im fixing to set up a 2x12 using just Weber speakers. I have the Silver Bell Alnico already,and ole Ted himself said to use that SB in conjunction with a Blue Dog,so,thats where Im at.....If y'all get a chance,try out some Weber speakers,they may surprise you.:thumb:

1 person likes this.