You think Gibsons Luthiers figure if we spend this money we should do some of work?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by SGTransBlackSupreme, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SGTransBlackSupreme

SGTransBlackSupreme Banned

I have given this thought. I mean it is the price of a Car. I have come to think that they believe this and I dont really think its unreasonable. It sort of creates a better bond between the owner and the axe. As far as setups. There are a variety of setups. Some people like a higher action and i like as low as i can get it. I like the neck totally straight and most people think there should be a little bow. On 2 of my favorites frets had to be fixed. Shaved down to prevent buzzing. I just got this gut feeling these people think its a good thing we get involved in making our guitar ours. What do you think about this way of thinking?

P.S. I forgot we all have to remember they put .10s on the guitars. So obviously that makes a huge difference for those of us who use 9s.
    A guitar with 10s might have a little Bow on the neck and NO buzzing and a action that most people would accept. I have always thought they should be putting 9s on all the guitars even the VOS and most Expensive but thats me. it just gives a legitimate break to Gibson.

2. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

Whaaaa?
    You mean like a Custom Shop custom order?

3. Svea

Svea Senior Member

I agree. I have a pretty good story as an example:

A friend. He bought himself a $3k guitar. He called it his win and love. But he barley touched it due to it being so 'valuable' and just kept it in tip-top shape.

Maybe it being written out like that isn't the BEST example, but what I mean is, as you said, that he didn't have a *bond* with his guitar. It wasn't customized for him. It was just a big purchase he can brag about. He still has the guitar though, still same story about it :D

I enjoy playing my guitar as much as customizing it. I want it to feel like me, sound like me and be like me (don't read this with pervert eyes!!)

I hope I didn't misunderstand your post :)

4. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

Gibson doesnt set up their guitars bc they dont have to. why spend time and money on it when people will buy them anyway. they use the excuse "everyone likes theirs set up differently." to get away with it but please. is that why you have rail rosd ties as frets. i heard people like square uneven frets that set off the tunings and create buzz. also badly shaped nuts are the favorite of some. man do some people like to have nut problem.
    its really laziness and the "**** it were gibson, theyll buy it anyway" attitude.

Blues4U likes this.
  5. xsouldriverx

And unless it was a shredders guitar i wouldnt put 9s on it unless asked. they are way too small for some plus 10s give more sound to hide anything that the guitar may be lacking.

6. SGTransBlackSupreme

I meant just setups really for action variations. But if they are defective and require an actual replacement of a part. "The Nut" then that is totally unacceptable. Which makes me think sheesh if they are putting 10s on them the nut is cut for 10s. I guess I am talking the frets mostly. I have a friend who I would refer to as an expert in setups and fixing guitars that arent brutal Neck breaks etc. He fixed two of mine with just a few tools. He isolated the frets which were causing horrible buzzing and shaved them and fixed almost 10 grand of guitars. I certainly hope Gibson always tries to improve QC. But the fact that both these guitars i have that needed the repairs it made me feel a little or actually a lot closer to the guitars. I do trully love them as insane to some as that may sound so I want to give Gibson every benefit of any doubt. They built my Supreme SG to order and it took them 10 months. I mean was it worth the wait and the money? Hell yea. Was I pissed that a few frets needed shaving ? No. I think Gibson will take returns right? I would hope so. I really hope the Oscama Raids havnt made the luthiers and everyone their , lose their desire to be the best Guitar Company on earth. I do want an R9 VOS quilt top. One day somehow I hope I can get one.

7. SGTransBlackSupreme

Yea frets that are not finished then that is defective and if bought new should be returned.
    So you really think the Luthiers in this case and all workers just dont care about what they are making?
    I guess the only way we would know is if we had someone spy on them to find out what they say in there.
    I am probably extremely fortunate to have the dated guitars I have. I dont think I will ever get another one.
    I want one though as expected. And if God makes me get in another Car accident well then you can bet your ass
    I will get another one.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

:hmm:

HRC, rockstar232007 and dem00n like this.
  9. xsouldriverx

Point taken but i am not going to go out of my way while typing this on my phone. And im not charging $2k for my thoughts either.

Its not the workers saying screw it i want to do a bad job, its the fact that its run like a factory. If your boss doesnt tell you or teach you how to do it right and rather have guitars off the line instead of guitars that are pristine, then thats how you work. Of course there are new gibsons out there that are gems but it seems they are further and fewer between then lets say the early 90s.

But what im trying to say is that they are trying to keep costs and buikd times down. They are not thinking if you do some of your own work on it youll like it more. I bought a wine red classic. Did a lot of my own work and sold it within 2 months. Big mistake and i lost almost $1k over all.

10. SGTransBlackSupreme

I guess I am wrong then. I watched the Gibson shop video up at the top today and saw how many breaks they take with different levels of QC people. It looks like they are really really trying to me. They are indeed totally hand made. I guess i was just reflecting upon my own small cases that just involved some fret filing. On new ones in stores the action definitely is never to my liking completely but I can tell if i would be able to get it there with adjustment. :sadwave:

11. shaun

shaun Banned

What the hell are you talking about?
    The prices of cars range from $100 to $300,000 +.

And still, what the hell are you even talking about? Guitars, cars, strings??

rockstar232007 likes this.
  12. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

A shop owner I know ordered a Custom Shop L5 for a client.
    The frets were REALLY badly done. Not unfinished, just BAD. It basically needed a refret in his opinion. Gibson said "our customers will get it set up anyway"
    Now as a builder I would want my instruments to be top notch in any case. Adjusting a setup does not mean you need to reseat frets that are popping up or round badly finished edges. It means adjusting the guitar for the player.
    He was very surprised that such an expensive guitar was so badly presented to his customer (of course the shop keeper got it sorted at his cost as he knows how to treat his customers).
    One off? I doubt it, but at least it can be dealt with.

13. Thumpalumpacus

Of course it's run like a factory. It is a factory.

Also, how large are your sample sizes here?

Of course they are. That is part of being a successful businessman: minimizing your CoGS so as to maximize your margin.

No, but what they have done is run a CBA and decided that the money that they save by not finishing to your standards going to be a larger amount than the money they lose by you not buying their products. And while you're not alone, I have to say that my own experiences with Gibsons over the years has been pretty damned good.

Why buy a guitar that needs that much work? You realize that by doing that, you've become a part of the problem that you're decrying in this thread, right?

rockstar232007 likes this.
  14. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

If you order a guitar from the Custom Shop, you only find out when you get it!

15. Thumpalumpacus

I've never ordered CS, admittedly. Do they have a "no-return" policy? Do they have a warranty? Any guitar with $1000+ in flaws should surely be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer.

16. PSM

PSM Senior Member

If I spent any amount of money on a brand new guitar and had to immediately have frets fixed/replaced, I'd be rippin. But you can bet I wouldn't because I don't buy guitars anymore if I can't play them first (unless I am looking for something VERY specific and difficult to locate, which is rare at this point for me).

17. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

I think because it is custom order, a return would be tricky BUT they should deal with the problem. The problem in the case I mentioned above was that the guitar was ordered in Germany. Shipping back to the USA was not really an option as it would have cost more than just getting the guitar sorted and even regretted. It's just annoying that you have to deal with this on a VERY expensive instrument.
    In the end, I think the buyer was happy with the guitar after it was sorted but just disappointed to start with. Not a cool feeling after having waited months and laid down (I think it was) nearly $10k.

18. Thumpalumpacus

I agree that if I'm paying CS $, I expect perfection ... or very close to it. This exemplifies why I never buy a guitar I have not played first.

19. xsouldriverx

I bought the wine red years ago when i was in my teens and my tastes were different i figured a pup change and some fancy electronics with push pull pots would help. It did not. In the end i never played it so i sold it. Before that i only had cheap guitars so i thought the gibbys frets were fine. I then learned of this place and started doing my own work and hung out at a shop where the owner did work for gibson. I then learned what a real guitar felt, sounded, and played like. for 2k you get almost nothing quality wise. And its not because they arnt trying. The place is just a factory used to maximize profit and that needs to be kept in mind. It doesnt mean its bad it means the details get overlooked here and there.

And for the price of an R9 i got my own custom built guitar from my luthier. I picked everything to make it mine. The wood, color, electronics, frets, neck feel, everything. That is what makes it near and dear to me Nd not that i bought it thwn dis work to "fix" it.