You Might Think Of Jon.. when you see this.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by frankv, Dec 17, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Stoli likes this.
  2. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

Great video and thanks for posting. From this day forward I will picture Jon at a piano in a white suit imparting knowledge to the novice legions.

frankv likes this.
  3. JonR

JonR Senior Member

There are at least two Jons who visit this board, but if you mean me, I'm flattered you imagine I might be that good-looking (and young), but no way would you ever catch me wearing a WHITE SUIT...:facepalm::mad2::noway::squint::eek::rolleyes:
    Or attempting to entertain an audience with music theory, come to that.

BTW, I disagree with him about rhythm. Rhythm for me is the least "tricky" aspect of music. The most tricky is probably harmony. Or even just staying in tune....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    LiveSimply, frankv and Stoli like this.
  4. frankv

Ha.. Yeah it was you I thought of.

I think what he is saying is the other two can be written but rhythm needs to be felt and is an intangible. At least that is how I read that.

5. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Well, "felt" and "intangible" are a contradiction in terms. ;) (If something is intangible, it means you can't feel it. Its literal meaning is "untouchable".)
    But I'm being pedantic! (Hey you expect nothing less of me, right? ;))

I think he was trying to make it more mysterious than it is. I do like the way he went way down the frequency scale until he got beats, to demonstrate that music is all about time, whether it's rhythm or pitch - something I realised a long time ago, but a point I've not seen made before. (If it had been me, I might have gone the other way: started with a beat and sped it up until it became a pitch.)

But I'm sure for most people rhythm is the easiest aspect of music to grasp. It relates to fundamental physical activities like breathing or walking, a pendulum swinging, etc. It's the foundation of music, before even pitch gets involved. Even those who can't hold a tune can clap to a beat.

frankv likes this.
  6. frankv

Not everyone can clap to a beat. You see this all the time at weddings when people get up to dance.

7. JonR

JonR Senior Member

I've seen plenty of people who can't dance, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who can't clap a beat (although they might clap the wrong beat). Clapping is a much simpler activity, while dancing requires more coordination. Also, clapping to a beat has an obvious purpose, while it seems some of those dancers don't realise you're supposed to move in time with the beat. They just move to their own rhythm...

In any case, I think the proportion of people who can't sing probably outweighs those who can't dance. Although I wouldn't swear to it..... (Both of them are culturally dependent to a large extent.)

8. D-POLAND

D-POLAND Senior Member

in other words ,IMPROVISING!