You know what sucks about kemper?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by matthew bear, Mar 2, 2017.

1. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Marshall amp profiles :shock:

I have deleted at least 80 of those bastards out of my kemper and there's probably 80 more!

EVERYBODY'S Marshall has been captured, at each volume increment from .5 to 10, with no less than 2 mic options per amp.

Jcm800,900 all the 1 watters, VM series, jtm-45...I swear I had somewhere around 200 marshalls in this box :laugh2:

Anyways, I'm in the P's (for plexi...) and I've deleted around 150 profiles so far.

I still have 425 amps or something, jeebus!

Anyway, the foot controller is set to come today, I'll finally dial up some rigs and enjoy a little more ease of use.

All in all, still happy with the unit, just really sick of the "classic" marshall sound :laugh2:

2. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

SACRILEDGE!!!!! hehhehhhe ;p *sorry for not being more helpful*

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

What speaker cabinet are you playing out of right now?

4. matthew bear

Profiled speaker just says jmp( this one anyway), my actual speaker is a qsc k-8

5. kmasters68

kmasters68 Premium Member

LOL! I just bought the MBritt Marshall Packs last night. There are marshall profiles factory installed that didn't blow my skirt much, but the MBritt stuff is exceptional.

6. matthew bear

I should note, I'm keeping good Marshall sounds... there's just a lot of redundancy.

7. frankv

Dude STOP deleting profiles. You have yet to hear your Kemper as it should be heard. that is with a proper 1 or 2 12 FRFR speaker cabinet.

I dig you matt. But are you really expecting to hear an amp designed for a 4 12 cabinet being played out of a 8 inch speaker?

You NEED a 1 12 XITONE as a starting point

8. matthew bear

Yeah, he has great stuff! Mine was used, and had quite a bit of m Britt and soundside stuff on it.

9. frankv

Same goes for you on speakers. They are as important or more important in the system as your Kemper is.

10. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

"You NEED a 1 12 XITONE as a starting point "

I agree.

11. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

12. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

Same question as it relates to the Passive version.

13. frankv

I want to be clear here. You can certainly use 8 inch studio monitors for these modelers. Will you get optimum "In Room" sound and feel? Probably not. Especially if you are coming from a AMP with Speaker cabinet.

Take it from me. I have used studio monitors more then once. I also have used Atomic and XiTone cabinets. It is a NIGHT AND DAY difference.

14. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Frank,

I'm not reading above, a lack of liking the profiles, per se, but he's right, stock, there are a TON of different, redundant Marshall profiles. Multiple JCM800, 900, JMP, JTM. Silver Jubilees, Plexi, modded plexi, hot rodded JCMs. Some are set-up default for darker rigs, others for brighter. There are just a LOT. Originally with stock and M Britt Marshall profiles, I had just about a profile for every possible setup, setting combination for the JCM800.

I bought M Britt's Marshall pack as well, and even that had more than I needed. I got it down to a few JCM800, few Jubilees, Few JTM45s and a Few JMPs, from dozens and dozens.

It's a little different than the Axe. You go and buy or get even a free, just a guy, profile pack for ONE amp and speaker combo, and your talking 10-20 separate profiles at different settings.

On the Axe, we enjoy a model, that replicates the entire range of the amp it models. So, we might only have 2, 3 JCM 800 Presets. Because, in theory we can tweak that amp block any way we want, and it responds like the amp.

But, because of the profiling process, people generate MANY profiles of that one amp, with many different combinations, of EQ settings, gain, and volume settings, and then those with different Mics and speakers. Also, a lot of profilers, also profile the amp with several pedals, again at different settings. Frankly, as I reviewed, Kemper's dirt stomps are not great. Profiling the amp with the real pedal is better.

Many have the amp through many different cabs and the Profiler's preferred settings for that cab. Some are set like that, OR for different music types/genres.

Ultimately though, you have several that fit your tastes perfectly, and you drop the rest.

Gain and volume adjustments MOSTLY are accurate to the amp. Though both can actually go past what the original amp could actually do as the parameter in the Kemper engine has to cover ALL amps, so it's sweeps are large. EQ settings won't act just like some of the amps though.

Thus you get a LOT of profiles/rigs for one amp, and generally only need a fraction of them.

I actually use my 8" Monitors and sub woofer a little more at lower volumes than the 2x12 Xitone.

15. frankv

I read his post that he didn't like the Marshall profiles. That's why I mentioned his speaker. If it's redundancy then that's different.

16. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

If you are playing live direct to a PA it would seem to me that using the same, or at least similar speakers, for a monitor would make sense.

Why wouldn't I want to tweak my patches so I hear exactly what I am putting out to the audience though the same transducers?

17. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Can anyone comment on the Mission Engineering Inc Gemini 2?

18. matthew bear

First of all, all of these profiles are backed up on my computer. They're not gone forever, they're just set aside...

Second, I don't NEED a 1 or 2x12... I find it funny that you've encouraged so many to think outside the box and now you want me to buy another box :laugh2: You think that my QSC can't hang? :cool: By the way, I plan to get a second one. That'll be 2000 watts of face melting sound. this speaker lacks nothing in the way of sound or feel, and I'll have more flexibility with gigging as well as other general uses for pa speakers.

Finally, They aren't bad sounds, they're just multiplied like bunnies :laugh2:
    I'm merely complaining of excess goodness :) The OP is all in good fun :thumb:

19. frankv

Well my bad then Matt because your title says "You know what sucks about kemper?" Then you go on to say "Marshall Profiles"

So I take that to mean that you don't like the sound of the Marshall profiles. :shock::hmm:

20. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

Nothing sucks about it, you blasphemer! Now, if you'll excuse me I'll go through the 300th Marshall profile on my Kemper. Good day, Sir!