You Guys Who Like Slash/GnR (and play your LPs) Will Want These

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Malikon, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

Seriously, one is EZ-Guitar 4 Dummies,..the other is the way it's actually played...

WTTJ.png
    (songster on the left, the book on the right)

Though lately Slash seems like he's doing it as a power chord riff and not open chord.

But still, point still stands. Songster and most of the online tabs are garbage.

Cherry Lane books are the absolute pinnacle of good tab. Followed by Hal Leonard books,...then...everything else.

If I could have one music book wish it's that the Megadeth Rust in Peace album was re-done by Cherry Lane. Cherry Lane is hands down, far and above everyone else. Just their fonts and printing style alone is leaps and bounds above everyone else.

..it's why I posted that link in the OP. Those are GOOD tabs. :dude:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. nauc

nauc Senior Member

how does Rocksmith compare. i had it, didnt get very far with it, but it got stolen

3. Malikon

Whenever I see that 'Authorized Guitar Edition-triangle lines' symbol in the upper left corner of a book,..it's always a really well done book.

That symbol, or the Cherry Lane 'cherries',..are always the best books. Over and over, for decades.
    (Sometimes even to a ridiculous degree. Where there will be a footnote like: "at this point the artist turned their pick sideways and scraped it across the string by accident." And you'll be like, "Nah that's bullsh-" ..but then you'll hear it on the recording and you never noticed it before. :shock:)

..also Andy Aledort is a transcription God. Anything he transcribes is meticulous and amazing. I wrote him once to thank him for his ridiculously good transcriptions and he actually wrote back!..basically "you're welcome",..but still,..how cool was that? :laugh2:

and look at the cover for Appetite for Destruction book, There's 'The Symbol', and Andy Aledort. BaM!!..can't ask for a better transcription of that album. It can't be done. (to be fair Wolf Marshall is also really good.)

s-l225.jpg 41uHKGuaBhL._AC_UL320_SR242,320_.jpg 903583000000000-00-500x500.jpg 382c7c3044d39f7cf0960e44cba747e7.jpg cover-large_file.png 00b0b_bai5hpckbv2_600x450.jpg 51GTR75AZYL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg 51FFPF82Y2L._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

MikeyTheCat and nauc like this.
  4. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Yeah, but the publisher is not going to get paid for their use and before you know it they're out of business.

5. Malikon

Well I'd hope if people like them they'll buy the books. It's easier to flip through a book than it is to scroll on a computer.

I know I've bought the Appetite book a couple times. I've got a stack of guitar books next to me that's a foot high. Not even counting the dozens I bought growing up.

I bet in the last 30 years Cherry Lane has sold thousands of copies of that Appetite book. It's not a new book. But I hear ya.

(I didn't scan the books and put them online either, just pointing them out is all in the interest that hopefully people will play more.)

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  6. MikeyTheCat

Very likely Mal. I had a group of guys from a certain sub-continent who worked late a lot. We found out that the work they were doing was scanning books off the bookshelves in our cubes, putting them on drives and selling them. And they were billing us for the over time.

7. Malikon

takes balls to anger the Emperor Turnip

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  8. MikeyTheCat

I was a kitten next to my bosses reaction. Their pimp was in the next morning with doughnuts begging us not to drop them, that they had families, he wouldn't charge us for their time and on and on. We sent them packing and kept the doughnuts.

bilbarstow and Malikon like this.
  9. Malikon

well of course you keep the doughnuts. :laugh2:

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  10. MikeyTheCat

Just about all of the recent books I've purchased have been published by Cherry Lane or Hal Leonard, with a few Don Mock titles on Alfred. All my older books are mostly small publishing companies that are no longer around.

Malikon likes this.
  11. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

Man I remember buying Guitar World for the Aledort tabs. He taught me how to play Stairway and Crazy Train. Good times.

Hate reading them out of a goddamn book though. I'd always recreate the tabs note-for-note in Guitar Pro.

Malikon likes this.
  12. Malikon

I used the guitar to hold the book in place on my leg

13. OldBenKenobi

I did the exact same thing. It never was effective, I can't read and play unless I'm staring straight ahead at the thing. Always wanted to buy a stand to hold it but never got around to it. Then five years back I started running amp sims on my computer and now I could read tab while playing. Lo and behold, playing improved.

14. Malikon

eh,..whatever works. It is more like having the sheet music on a stand. I don't really like reading off the computer, books or music. But I will when I have to.

15. MikeyTheCat

I used a music stand or book sand.

16. OldBenKenobi

I never got around to buying one of those. Really coulda used one but for whatever reason whenever I went to the music store something else caught my eye - and dollars.

17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

While these kind of books are the best option out there, I often find things they missed and very often more accurate and playable note locations. I'm sometimes amazed how they expect people to integrate/finger some of the notes they write down when they are quite far off from the rest of the phrase.

One thing I knew they would miss, and they did, was a little lick leading into the chorus of Out Ta Get Me. They don't just hang on the C until the B#, there's a lick (C-C-B#-C-B#) that's a bit buried in the mix, but definitely there. Listen for it, I think it's more audible in Izzy's channel (left).

As for the Slashtone, I much prefer his UYI tone, particularly live. The record was a bit sterile, but those shows were incredible...

nauc and OldBenKenobi like this.
  18. OldBenKenobi

I prefer the tone on AFD and UYI to his UYI tour sound (might even prefer the UYI album tone above all) but nothing beats the neck pickup lead sound he got on that tour.

19. Malikon

yeah sometimes Tab fingering positions can be weird, (sometimes impossible.)

But the musical staff/notes are usually correct and I'll bounce between the two.

Plus I'd like to think most people are smart enough to take the notes on the page and rework/refinger them to be more playable. The book isn't gospel and shouldn't be treated like it is. The intro melody of For Whom The Bell Tolls is a good example, (Metallica.) In the book it's written as...

-------------------------
    --8-----7-----------7-----
    -----9------7---9-----------
    -----------------------------
    ----------------------------

but it's easier and sounds more 'right' when you do...

----------------------------
    -12--9--11-------9--11-----
    --------------12-------------
    -------------------------------
    --------------------------------

I think being able to spot something on the page and tell yourself, "that's dumb" and rework it to be more logical is a good thing. Never think the books are truly 100% correct and gospel.

I see tons of guitar solos where maybe 90%-95% of the solo is "right" but there will be like 2 measures that can best be summed up as 'Pentatonic Flailing',..usually ascending or descending in some quasi pattern. I never learn those couple of measures note for note because it's just flailing up or down the scale. I just look at the overall pattern and go with it.

It's more important to capture the feel of a solo than to play it 100% like the recording and like a machine. Especially during those 'flailing' parts. (like I love Dave Mustaines work a lot but he has a lot of solos that have a 'flailing up and down the Pentatonic scale and picking really fast' sections. :laugh2: He's kind of sloppy but he has a lot of feeling. So when I play those songs I more try to capture the feeling of his solo than recreate it 100% like a machine which, to my ears, doesn't sound right and lacks that frenzy feeling. )

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    BlankinLoud likes this.
  20. ayakush

ayakush Junior Member

Thanks a lot! Still have that original Appetite songbook!

Malikon likes this.