You guys are all crazy. No, Really.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 21, 2009.

Are you guys all crazy?

1. Yes, we are all crazy for liking Les Pauls more than SGs

90 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No Sin, what the hell are you thinking

134 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. You are a noob, go away

75 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Sg's suck

69 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. peterp

peterp Senior Member

Thanks for creating the thread Sin, it's definitely food for thought. My young son plays and Epi LP with a Bigsby and he loves it but it is HEAVY. I'm not sure it's great to have him hold that much weight all the time, so I have been thinking about getting him a lighter guitar for practice and then use his LP for performances. The SG might be a perfect fit. Is there anywhere where the weights for the various Gibson and Epi LP and SG models are published? Also would be interesting to know how those weights compare to a strat.

2. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

Strat's much closer to an SG than a Les Paul in weight. I hurt my shoulder recently, and last weekend I was playing my LP at church and totally wishing it was a nice, light SG so it wouldn't hurt so bad. :laugh2:

3. peterp

peterp Senior Member

This thread made me interested in an SG because I'm looking for a lighter guitar for my young son for long sessions (the Bigsby'ed LP is heavy). I had high expectations based on everything I've read about SG's, but we were very disappointed with the sound. He tried a Gibson SG Faded, a Gibson Special, and a Gibson Standard and none of them sounded anywhere as good as his Epi LP. His EPI is maxed out -- Bumblebees, 50's wiring, CTS, Sheptones -- so maybe it isn't a fair comparison, but I expected the SG to sound much better than it did, especially given it's Gibson versus Epi. He liked the feel of it and it's lighter, but not the sound. Normally he would be foaming at the mouth for any new guitar and especially for a Gibson, but he wasn't even interested in getting one.

I think these SG models came with the 490 pickups. Do the Gibson SG's require upgrades (pickups/wires/pots/caps) to get great performance? Also, would the Gibson Reissue or Supreme models that come with the '57 Humbuckers sound better and do they have upgraded wiring/pots?

4. lachlan

lachlan Senior Member

I love the 3 P/U Les Paul Signature SG, but besides that, they don't really phase me.

5. Lysol

Lysol Senior Member

I pretty much like them both around the same. The only things that I hate about LP's are the cost of a standard (talking Gibson here) is way more than of a standard SG...why? because it says "les paul" of course, why else...ok so maybe some more mahogany and some maple and more binding but that doesn't account for it all. And they are are heavy as shit. Other than that they rock just like an SG.
    Both are brilliant guitars!

6. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I wouldn't say they require it, but it helps. Especially if you are comparing Sheptones to Gibson pickups. I also wonder if you were using the same amp? Get the same pickups and I bet the SG will sound better. Also it's a Gibson so it's going to play nicer. You may want to take a look into a G-400 from Epiphone. They are cheap, and plays really nicely :thumb:

Might wanna take a look into Epiphone Wilshires as well.

7. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Just went on sweetwater and picked a random SG and a random Les Paul. The SG was 7 pounds and 2 ounces. The Les Paul was 7 and 14. Another Les Paul was 8 and 3. So while they are about a pound heavier, compared to past Les Pauls, the difference isn't as significant.

But yeah, mostly I think is the name. The SG even has a sweet logo on the headstock (on the standard), but hey, whatever. More SGs in the future for me :thumb:

8. peterp

peterp Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. He was playing it on the same amp he uses at home (Vox VT-50). I forgot to check out the Epi SG's when we were there, but will next time. I was really hoping the Gibsons would sound better out of the box without requiring mods, but it looks like I'll need to call Jonesy on the red phone if we do end up going the SG route.

9. Sinmastah

The stock Gibson will always been the stock Epiphone. But if you modify the Epiphone it will sound better. But yea, take a look at the G-400s

10. peterp

peterp Senior Member

I just weighed the guitars we have at home and the LP numbers are similar if you add in the Bigsby:

Hofner Icon Bass (5 lb 9 oz)
    Fender Squire Mini (6 lb 9 oz)
    Fender American Deluxe Strat (8 lb 5 oz)
    Epiphone LP Standard (9 lb 2 oz) (I think the Bigsby weighs about 12 oz)

11. Sinmastah

My elitist weighs 5.5lbs :thumb:

12. peterp

peterp Senior Member

I definitely need to check these out. Are all the Epi SG's that light or is the Elitist much lighter than the others?

13. Sinmastah

The elitist seems to be lighter. My g-400 checks in around 7lbs or so. I changed out some things to lighter materials otherwise it would be around 7.5.

14. PH Noleto

PH Noleto Junior Member

Alright, the red Sg does look like the devil. But the black one is Batman...

15. skelingtony

skelingtony Senior Member

Just got myself a G-400. The old Korean model (Unsung) with the solid body rather than veneer. Gave it a fret dress and set up, and I love it! Great guitar for £100 used.

Put a set of Wilkinson Deluxe Klusons on (great tuners for the price) and the neck heaviness is pretty much cured.

Now I'm thinking of how to mod it to have a 'full' Gibson style pickguard at some point - I just think they look better that way.

16. Sinmastah

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUoSTaD7aw]YouTube - Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover -Live(ao vivo) 2006[/ame]

TONE!!!

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I like 'em both. I A/Bed a couple about three months ago through a HR DeVille 2x12, and it seemed to me that the LP had more air to the tone, a little more dimension, and more balance, while the SG had a stronger midrange presence. I'd use the 'Paul for blues or jazz, and the SG for rock.

18. Sinmastah

:applause:

I agree 100%.

19. TomPlusTop

TomPlusTop Member

I've never tried an SG yet my mate has a Gibson SG of some sort but never had the motivation to play it. There are many bands that use the Epi/Gibby les paul for rock/metal. Examples: Of mice and men, bring me the horizon. (Maybe not your type of music). But it's all good everyone debating whats better etc.. Its all down to the individuals ear and how it feels to them. :) *I respect your opinions though*, because the my les paul weighs alot... ^^)

20. ken374

ken374 Senior Member

I love my gibby sg over my epi les paul, much easier to play, sounds great and love the neck.