You guys are all crazy. No, Really.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 21, 2009.

Are you guys all crazy?

1. Yes, we are all crazy for liking Les Pauls more than SGs

90 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No Sin, what the hell are you thinking

134 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. You are a noob, go away

75 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Sg's suck

69 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I don't get it. I don't see why anyone would prefer a Les Paul. Honestly, there is only one thing that I can find better about Les Pauls, and it is only aesthetic.

Weight: The SG is a little more than half the thickness of the Les Paul size, thus it weighs less. That means you can gig longer, and not break your back, which last time I checked was a good thing. My Epi SG's weigh 5.5 lbs and 6 lbs, while my LP weighs 8. Ouch.

Playability: The SG generally has the slim taper neck, but also can have the 50's style, you just got to try them out. Les Paul necks are bigger than SG's, or at least the ones I have found. I mean, could they not match them, and give Les Pauls small necks too? Guess not. My Les Paul feels like a freaking backball bat in my hand, and not the handle, the barrel.

Also if you have noticed something, the SG is a double cut, so talk about your neck heel moving back a few inches, which means you can actually play the 20-22 frets without having to take your hand off the baseball bat you are holding.

Badassiness: Alright lets face it, your friend hired you for his band, but wants it to be a badass band. You have two choices, a dark cherry SG with pointy devilish horns that looks like the color of blood, or a clownburst Les Paul. Hmmm. "Now Sin, what happens if you wanna look, not-badass" A valid point, you will still want to go with the SG because it's just so iconic. I mean Pete Townshend uses one, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, plus many more. Also the neck sticks out a longer ways which looiks even cooler.

Tone: Alright guys, here is where Les Pauls should dominate right? WRONG, they are way to similar. Honestly, I went to GC when I was home, played an Epi LP STD and a G-400, and they sounded the exact same. Honestly, cmon. Les Pauls are supposed to be tone gods, but I don't see it when compared to SGs. Also if 90% of the sound comes from the neck, wouldn't it make more sense to have a bigger neck to resonate?

Price: I think you guys know where I am going with this. Go to any GC and look at prices and compare the SG STD and the LP STD for Gibson. Enough said. For Epiphones, 300 for a faded g-400. 650 for a Les Paul. That is ridiculous.

Sustain: Sin, heavier guitars resonate and sustain better. This isn't true all of the time. Plus you are using pickups, who cares about acoustic resonance, that's why you have all the cool effects with an electric. Sustain problems? Use a compressor, get a bone nut, get a new bridge or TP. Enough said.

Alright Sin, you have made a few great points, but there must be something that the Les Paul wins at. Well you are right, and it's the finishes. You can buy pretty much any color Les Paul you want. You want a pink sparkly Les Paul? Go for it, they make them. But if you are straight you will stick with SG's :laugh2:.

Enough said :thumb:

Who, RombardO, J-Man123 and 9 others like this.
  2. The Shoe

The Shoe Senior Member

Heheh, I enjoyed your little essay. Nicely done, but until I can afford a 2nd guitar, I'll stick with my Les Paul ;) Opinions will vary, and for me, I'm more into the... less bad assidness/assiness look of the LPs.

3. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Sigh...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQNo3w0sdHg]YouTube - No Surprize (SG vs Les Paul)[/ame]

EDIT: I've got nothin' against the SG's...or the G-400's....I just like the Les Pauls better. Maybe one of these days when Epiphone decides to start making them again for lefties, or if I can find a used Iommi G-400...cool. Until then?

I dunno. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. SG's are fast....but they have issues of their own.....

4. Sinmastah

Two things about that video, there is no proof he is playing a Gibson, how do we know if Pups weren't changed. And anyways, the SG sounded better :D

5. Paul_Cat

Paul_Cat Senior Member

I like how heavy they are! I think it just adds to the heavy sounds and sustain if anything.
    mass = sustain, right?

6. Sinmastah

Not necesarily true. You can make a 10k pound guitar, doesn't mean it will sustain or resonate better. Also it's an electric guitar, so use a compressor if you are worried about sustain.

7. TrinityFive

TrinityFive Senior Member

Hmmm, let me think.

Guy comes to forum called My Les Paul
    Guy says I don't see why anyone would prefer a Les Paul

Let me guess the outcome.

8. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Yeah, SGs are good guitars and at one point the SG was actually known as the "Les Paul Model"....:shock:

So I ain't gonna talk bad about family here, SGs and LPs are sisters if you wanna think about it, but I'd go with my LP standard any day if I had to make a choice!

It's about feel and tone to me! (I may live 300 years and will never be convinced the SG and the LP sound the same... lol)

9. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:lol:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/5542-epiphone-g-400-sg.html

10. Sinmastah

:laugh2:

That it, I am going to mysg.com :thumb:

Oh yeah, it's no wonder why Sg's Replaced LP's in '61. :thumb:

No bad talking here, just comparisons. And you guys are all insane :D

11. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

Cheer up Sin,i`m grabbing an SG in the Summer mate :thumb:

12. Sinmastah

Oh, I am more than happy haha. I just woke up thinking what the hell :slash:

And good, good for you buying an SG like that. Elitist?

13. TrinityFive

TrinityFive Senior Member

SG's are a great guitar*

* as a back up (only kidding)**

** no I'm not, I'll use my South East Asian 'Wres Praul' first

14. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

Hopefully an Elitist yeah,if i can find one,if not,i think i might give one of the Gibson Special Faded`s a go

15. Sinmastah

16. Sinmastah

Pssh, I'll glady take my G-400 over my baseball bat with wood glued on. :applause:

17. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

:laugh2:You`re a long way off with the Summer idea Sin,it was 18 below freezing here last night.:laugh2:

18. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

I wanna get an SG too, someday, but I wonder why you still own Les Paul guitars if you hate them so much? :hmm:

19. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Many LP's come with a slim taper neck. My Classic had one. The tone seems to be both meatier and slightly less dark on a LP... Probably due to added weight and a maple cap. Of course the difference in tone isn't HUGE if you're running the same pickups, but it's noticible.

Regarding necks though, the first 5-6 years I played I liked the thin ones but now it seems like thicker necks are more comfortable on my wrist.

I used to love the look of SGs, but they're kind of plain looking to me now. The ones I've tried out have felt a bit neck heavy and awkward with the front strap button being on the back of the body. They're definitely light though! If I were to own one I'd probably want P-90s and a custom paint job of some kind.

20. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

Actually......... its been my experience that if you A/B a Les Paul and an SG back to back..... the Les Paul will have a phatter sound with more midrange to it.

I prefer Les Pauls..... but I love SGs too!

In fact..... the only guitars I like are Gibson or Epiphone Les Pauls, SGs, and 335s.

Maybe Teles and Strats too if you catch me on a good day.

I don't want no Dime Razorback. No Micheal Kelly. No Agile. No Dean. No Charvel. No Jay Turser. No Danelectro. No Explorer. No Flying V.

If it isn't a Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul, SG, or 335....... I'm not interested at all. :D

Seriously! :slash: