You can get an Epi with a Gibson headstock??? how? how? how?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Brian Butler, May 27, 2009.

1. Brian Butler

Brian Butler Senior Member

Wow, I didn't know that. Where do you get them? Do they cost more? That's one of my only complaints about Epi is the head shape. I've personally had Epi's that rivaled the Gibsons I've owned (other than in headstock beauty) :)

2. gui524

gui524 Senior Member

The Epiphones with Gibsons headstocks are old epiphones ...

3. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Japanese brands often have Gibson headstocks, such as Orville, Burny, Greco, Tokai, and Japanese-market Epiphones.

(I just realized; this post I just made looks like one of Eef's posts!:shock:)

4. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

Don't know myself but I'm sure my good friend Shifty won't mind me quoting him...

"I stumbled across this site yesterday while doing some research about MIJ Epiphones. It looks like they're still selling MIJ Epiphones incl. Elites. Notice that these are the open book headstock models produced for the japanese domestic market and that they're called Elite, not Elitist. Is it possible that they only stopped making the export Elitist models with the 'tombstone' headstock?
    Does anybody have a clue?"

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

What is the site?

6. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

Gem23 likes this.
  7. leftylover

leftylover Senior Member

you can get an old epiphone with the open book(Gibson) type headstock. these are MIJ. There are quite a few in member classifieds.

8. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Made in Japan between 1998 and 2006, yes they cost more and are far better than the regular Epi line, they are made to the Gibson size specs, will accept Gibson parts, and other than the 2 piece body and poly finish are exactly the same as the Gibsons.

They are getting harder to find as more people seek them out and buy them up.

They were also never for sale in the US and were made for the Japanese domestic market.

9. MuffDVR

MuffDVR Member

What is the easiest and best way to get a hold of some of these JDM guitars? I want to get my hands on a SG and GT elitists.

10. PeteTerra

PeteTerra Member

I have modded my epiphone headstock, the result is alright! But an old MIJ would fit fine for me too...hehe :naughty:

Norton likes this.
  11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

The open book headstock has NOTHING to do with whether or not they're called "Elite" or "Elitist" - that is a time period thing, not a headstock trait. I've had both - mine were both tombstone - and I've seen both with open books as well. The only relevant factor as to the headstock shape is whether or not they were for the USA or Japanese market.

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I agree 100%, and will add that Junkie's comparison is to the top end Gibson "Historic Reissue" models - not the run of the mill Gibson USA stuff.

13. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

14. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

:lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the King of the obvious.

15. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

That's what I thought too, until I found this site. They changed the name from 'Elite' to 'Elitist' after 2002, so that only the '02 models are called 'Elite', right? Epiphone introduced the 'Elitist Tak Matsumoto' in 2004, so how come that the 'Tak' on that site is an 'Elite'?
    Also, take a look at SGManElitist's new SG. It's a 2004 model and it's an 'Elite', not an 'Elitist'.

16. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

From what I remember, the Elites have been changed to Elitists somewhere in 2004.

I have an Elite LP that is an '03. From what I have researched (not 100% sure on this) is that flame-top Elite LP's have 1-piece maple top and sometime in 2003 / 2004 when they introduced the Elitists,
    they changed it to maple with flamed maple veneer.

17. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Ok, I'm not 100% sure on that either. I read somewhere that only the first year run (2002) was called 'Elite' and everything after that was called 'Elitist'. :hmm:

EDIT: OK, I've just found other '03 and '04 'Elites'. Guess I was misinformed there. I can't find the site where I read that only the '02 models were called 'Elite' at the moment.

18. SGmanElitist

SGmanElitist Senior Member

I just sold Mazz an elite that was from 04.

19. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Ok,
    Maybe I missed somethin'...Where can I put MY puppypetters on one of these MIJ axes?...I have seen 'em on fleabay, but never thought much about it 'till I saw the Elite '50s Plaintop in Icetea burst...DONE!...Gotta have it!

20. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I had two 2004 models ("F4") - one Elite, one Elitist. The transition period lasted something like 2 years - there appears to be no rhyme or reason for it - and it is not related to the guitar's headstock, for sure. The site that you referenced has some bunk info!