Yngwie Malmsteen Startocaster?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Drew1986, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Drew1986

Drew1986 Senior Member

I've been wanting to pick up a Yngiwe signature strat for sometime and wanted to get thoughts from anyone who has played one for a significant amount of time. I picked around on one briefly years ago but don't recall that much about it other than the scalloped fingerboard. Anyone have any advice on them?

Thanks

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. Minte

Minte I need a snappy title Premium Member

I've had one for about a year. There is a learning curve to playing it. It gives the fingers a real workout. I had mine set up a few months ago professionally and it was worth the money.

That being said, I don't know if I'd buy it again. I play my other Strats more.

1 person likes this.
  3. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I do have a couple of scalloped neck guitars. They were home done. One was all scalloped and the other was half up the board. It's a weird feel. It takes getting used to. Once you do, it's really fingering fun. Would I pay over 1K to experiment? Nope.

2 people like this.
  4. __HM__

__HM__ Senior Member

We've had one in at my work for the past several months, now. Ive played it multiple times and set it up... It's a nice guitar. But unless you're Yngwie, the full-scalloped fretboard will feel very awkward. The one at work has the DiMarzio stacked pickups. They sound good. A bit sterile; obviously geared towards high gain. But very usable.

My 2 cents... If you want a Strat, buy a nice Strat. want a shredder? Buy a nice Ibanez. Love Yngwie? Then this guitar's for you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I've seen a number of YJM scalloped necks only for sale or trade over the years from folks that couldn't get used to them and for whatever reason just decided to change necks....may want to try one of those if you can find a good deal.

1 person likes this.
  6. DrewDM

DrewDM Silver Supporter

Got one about a month ago. I been diggin it a lot so far. It's something different, after the first day you pretty much get used to the feel. Scalloped board and big frets. If you like big frets you'll probably like it. The YJM pickups are quiet and clean sounding/medium low output.

1 person likes this.
  7. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I saw them and was thinking of doing that sort. I changed my mind. Thanks.

8. Drew1986

Drew1986 Senior Member

I saw on your profile you work at Sam Ash in Cincinnati. I'm just a few hours drive from Cincinnati...whats the story with the strat and asking price?

Thanks

9. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Member

I'm on my third Malmsteen Strat and my fifth scalloped Strat total. There's been a few model changes to consider if you are going used.

Pre-2007 the scallops were less deep, there was no bullet truss nut and no machine screw neck mounts.

Pre-2011 the YJM used Dimarzio HS3/HS4 pickups versus the SD Fury's on them since. They are very similar pickups, but I and many others prefer the Dimarzio's I little more. The ultimate vintage a Yngwie is an HS3 in both the neck and the bridge, since that's what he used for decades.

Around 2011 Fender stopped producing the Malmsteen in Candy Apple Red and Sonic Blue, leaving only the Vintage white, with the option of a maple or rosewood neck.

Let me know if you have any other questions.