YM-50 Switch to standard Strat-style switch.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by TerribleRacket, Oct 5, 2010.

1. TerribleRacket

TerribleRacket Senior Member

I own an early 90's US-made Starfield Altair that contains a YM-50 switch that has been bent and is now dead in position 1--beware your bassist and his headstock of destruction.

Because the Starfield line was short-lived it might be helpful if I briefly describe the guitar. It is a two pot, 3 single coil/5-way switch guitar made by Ibanez in the USA--Starfield was their failed attempt to establish a US custom shop that made traditional 'Merican-style, non-pointy guitars. I imagine that its electronics are similar, if not identical to, early 90's Ibanez 3 coil specs.

With a switch transplant immanent, I'd like to move the guitar over to more conventional Strat-style electronics. The complete absence of a capacitor within my control cavity leads me to suspect that the YM-50 switch contains the cap?

I'm assuming that YM-50 switches, being Asian in orign, are likely metric, should I look for a specific metric strat-style 5-way switch or are all 5-ways standardized?

Finally, the pots in this guitar are phenomenal. Priority #1 is to keep them right where they are. Is there a hidden land mine I should know about regarding the pots during the move away from the YM-50 switch? The pots are mounted on a circuit board, if that helps. No, no active electronics.

Thank you very much for your time and advice. When the time is right, I know I'll be cutting wires with confidence thanks to you guys. :)

2. TerribleRacket

TerribleRacket Senior Member

Pics are heplful. But that's a debateable notion, given my cell phone camera and poor technique. I hope these are useful.

This should be an overall look at the back of the guitar.

[​IMG]

A closer view.

[​IMG]

Looking at the offending switch and the volume pot.

[​IMG]

The tone pot, with board peeking out from under it.

[​IMG]

Thanks, again, for your help.