YIKES - headstock crack need to fix!!

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by likea45, Sep 25, 2010.

1. likea45

likea45 Senior Member

So my LP 1968 re-issue was landed on by a drunk idiot at a party I had, while unassumingly sitting against the wall cracking the headstock where it meets the neck. The HS did not break off entirely but a crack that is visible opened up. I immediately threw the fool out of my house and took all the strings off to relieve the tension to the neck.

What might be some tips for fixing the issue. Can I wood glue it or should I do something different.

Anything helps.

Thanks.

2. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

Give it to a good Luthier imho. A solid repair is always better than the "half-asses" way. No offense intended.

3. R8R6Ben

R8R6Ben Senior Member

get in touch with BCRGreg... he's the headstock guru

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Get a good luthier to do it right, the first time.

5. jworle01

jworle01 Senior Member

Only practice on cheapies my friend. I would not make this your first headstock repair.

6. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

Definitely get it to a pro luthier. If you look around, you'll see a thread where my head stock just got broken off the other night. Similar to yours, mine had previously been cracked but not decapitated. It was originally fixed just by gluing the crack back together and clamped for several days. It held fine for a few years, then the crack opened back up and had to re-glued again.

That second repair was several years ago, and at the time it seemed to work just fine. I didn't know much about woodworking and nothing about fixing guitars. However, now that I've learned a lot more, I wish I had had it fixed with splints like BCRGreg does. Even that second repair was starting to open up just a bit. So search for some of Greg's recent repair threads (there's one about rehabing a guitar for a soldier) and you can see what needs to be done. It'll cost a lot more and take a lot longer, but your guitar will be a lot better off than simply gluing and clamping.

7. likea45

likea45 Senior Member

I should mention this an old wound that's been re-opened. I just wondered if I took the time if I could just try it myself. The last repair on it was something like $450.00 ugghh!!!

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

A repair should NEVER "re-open." It should break somewhere on either side of the repaired break.

If the original repair has come apart, it is all the more reason to get it to a COMPETENT pro to clean up the original repair and redo it correctly!

9. likea45

likea45 Senior Member

I live in MI and the guy that did it is actually a guy that used to work at the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory - he did a great job but I mean a 170 lbs person landed on part of the body and the neck. I think any repair might open up again after that. It is exactly tue same line as was opened the first time it happend. Your saying it should have opened in a new spot? Is that indication of a faulty repair the first time?

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yes. A proper repair is stronger than the wood itself. It should break on either side of the repair, but not ON the repair. If you're seeing glue on both sides of the break, he didn't do a proper job fixing it. That is my understanding, anyway. I'm no luthier.

I would suggest sending some detailed photos to BCRGreg. It is as good as it gets in the guitar repair world - on Earth. He will shoot you straight.

11. likea45

likea45 Senior Member

I'll do that. Thanks to everyones advice!