Yet another mix critique thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by 6stringer, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

This is a work-in-progress that I'd hoped to be finished with before Christmas. I used VST instruments for Piano, Bass, and Drums. I performed the guitar parts. I'm breaking in some new studio monitors, but I'm fairly new to DAW recording and mixing. My current battle is trying to get a mix that isn't muddy, with all instruments given some elbow room.

Thoughts? Advice?

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/6stringer/o-come-all-ye-faithful-o[/sc]

Leendrix and Strato like this.
  2. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

36 views, no replies. I guess I must have nailed it on the first try, then. :laugh2:

3. EvanPC

EvanPC Senior Member

I'm no expert, but to me, it sounds as though the piano is a bit loud in the mix, and coupled with the guitar, it's drowning out the drums. Pretty cool otherwise, though!

4. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

Drums have been a battle, I kept pulling them back in the mix so that the cymbals weren't too harsh. I've since adjusted the velocity of certain drum pieces to make the kit more balanced. Thank you for your comment!

5. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Double track the lead, get an acoustic in there on the rythem with the other guitar .JMO

2 people like this.
  6. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

i think it sounds awesome, especially the composition itself

1 person likes this.
  7. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

Good call, I actually used Waves 'Doubler' plugin on the lead to try to make it sound a little bigger. I think I still need to tweak it a bit. As far as doubling the rhythm with an acoustic, I might try it as long as I can mix it to where the LP isn't obscuring the acoustic part. Thanks for the comment!

Thanks! I wish I could compose like that, it's actually a cover of a tune by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO). :thumb:

2 people like this.
  8. Strato

Strato Banned

:thumb:I'm no Pro 6Stringer but I have no problem with it. Sounds good to me. Keep up the great work man.:dude:

2 people like this.
  9. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

Well, I think this is probably as close to 'polished' as I'm gonna get it... as least 'til I get more practice with mixing/mastering. I may come back and revisit it later. I tweaked the piano and drums, added some strings, and added a subtle choir about the 3 minute mark. Thanks for the comments, guys. :dude:

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/6stringer/o-come-o-holy-night[/sc]

10. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

Don't beat yourself up man. Mixing is not for the faint of heart, it's very hard and somewhat frustrating work. It takes lots of practice and often some luck to get things just so. The secret is to make everything sound big and like you said stand on it's own. I'm not a fan of doubling any track that is identical to itself ie. the same track. More is not bigger it's just louder. Your on the right track keep it up. Cool tune BTW. Good luck.

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It sounds pretty good overall. But here's my 2cents.
    The distorted electric is just a bit too loud. The drums have the wrong kind (for me, I know it's subjective) of reverb. Too small a room and too short decay. I would use a hall or plate rev, and not so much of it so the drums will still retain the punch and not get washed out. Also, the drums could benefit from more glue. I would use parallel compression...ie. sending via aux sends.