Yamaha TRH10C headphones outlet into PA?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by DaVeTheWaVe, Aug 22, 2016.

1. DaVeTheWaVe

DaVeTheWaVe Junior Member

Hi there,
    I'm very happy with my THR10C that I use at home every day. Loving the tone and the quality of the audio, with speakers and headphones.
    The other day I took the amp into a fair new and good reharsal room with a decent PA. I linked the headphones out into the AUX of the mixer, then into a medium size (100W?) active speakers.
    unfortunately the result was quite crappy... the sound was "boxed" and muffed, without bass and highs, no presence... I can't get any better tone change by tweaking the mixer...
    what are your experiences/suggestions with PAs and THR10C?
    thanks in advance, keep on rockin'
    Davide

2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

It could be that such a small amp won't do the trick at high volume.

Try mic'ing each speaker panning each hard left and right on the PA, and please report back... I am curious how that would sound.

Good luck.

3. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Davide,

The THR10C should sound terrific when the headphone out (also valid to use as a Line out feed) is connected to powered monitors!

I would try direct connecting your THR10C via a proper 1/4" TSR (stereo) cable (not a guitar instrument cable) to one (or a stereo pair) of powered monitors.

When your signal was fed to the board's Aux In and then routed through to the powered Monitors, there are several stages of the audio chain where the signal could have been affected by EQ, attenuation, etc.

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

How few milliamps does the headphone out produce. My guess is it needs to go THR10C Headphone out > Headphone amp > Mixer.

5. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Yamaha's THR10C documentation states the headphone out is 10mw. I have not measured it.

Nearly any modern powered monitor speaker should be able to accept this directly via its 1/4" TSR input jack. And, many have EQ and Trim adjustments for their inputs.

Nonetheless, you might be right if the mixer's input to which the Yamaha was connected needed a higher signal level.

6. DaVeTheWaVe

thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be back to the room in the next few days. and keep you updated.
    bye
    Davide

7. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Headphone output levels are a lot higher than line levels expected at mixers. My guess is you were overdriving the input. You should either pad the mixer input significantly, turn down the headphone output a lot or just mic the thing.

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Patch it through a direct box?

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I've enjoyed great success doing what you're asking on a much smaller scale.
    I think it'll work.
    If not, it also works great as a pedal. Run headphone out to an amp instrument in and go from there.

10. DaVeTheWaVe

Hi there!
    I found out that the PA was the cause of the bad sound quality.
    I went to the reharsal room also with a line 6 pocket pod, and found the same issues.
    Therefore, the mixer and/or the loudspeakers needs some tweaks. I didn't had the chance to try other configuration. I tried the voice microphone and they worked properly.
    I'll get some additional time next week. bye

11. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

DaVeTheWaVe,

Your thread inspired me to patch my THR10C's Headphone Out to my Fender Mustang III v.2's FX Loop Return. WOW! This sounded phenomenal!

The Yamaha's response and nuance for each of it's amp profiles was right there, with the added body, fullness, and SPL (as much, or as little) as I would likely ever need from the Mustang's 100 watt power amp and 12" Celestion G12T-100 Spkr.

Due to Yamaha's specs showing the THR10C headphone out having only 10 milliwatts, a 10' high quality instrument cable (1/4" TS, insulated center conductor, braided shield) was used for the test rather than a "proper" two conductor speaker cable. At such a low current level and short run length, there was no concern of patch cable heat damage current overload risk nor sound degradation.

To preserve the Yamaha's stereo FX, I also tried a similar test using my Fender Mustang IV's Right and Left FX Returns. Here a headphone ext'n cable to Left and Right breakout Y adapter was used. Again the results were extraordinary. The Mustang's 2x12 Celestion G12P-80 spkrs and 150 watt (2x75) power amp was impressive.

The bottom line:
    The Yamaha THR10C at the head of the amplification signal chain works great!

12. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I'm wondering off topic a little here. But its great to hear all these good results with the THR10 through an external source.

I'd love to turn my 10c into a little tweed covered combo with a 10-12 inch speaker & here how it sounds.

As anyone attempted rehousing the amp into a combo style etc

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

FWIW, I owned a THR10C for a short while. Sold it partly because the headphone output sucked so bad: Had a very muddy and compressed tone.

I'm NOT sure if I had a dud of whether the headphone amp just is no bueno.

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I can't say I've ever heard that before and certainly don't feel that way personally. Interesting comment.

15. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

My THR 10C (and THR 5, for that matter) sound great through headphones.

16. DaVeTheWaVe

here i am again...
    found it... the PA was the problem. found another rehearsal room, got Telecaster Am. Special => Soul food => THR (class A setting) => Mixer, it was awesome!!!
    during the rehearsal, my mate used a Gibson faded => Fender champion 100 and I got better tones =)
    Therefore, I think I can use the THR as a backup for my tube amp, in case of fail.

or use my tube as backup for THR... :naughty: