Yamaha THR10C External Speaker Jacks

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by theaxeman, Sep 18, 2014.

1. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

I decided that I wanted to know what the Yamaha THR10C sounded like through external speakers, so I started the project Saturday.

I found a 2X12 SS Combo cheap on CL with 8 Ohm speakers in it, so that was my first step. I disconnected the internal amp and wired up two separate jacks to plug into from the outside.

I put the Yamaha on the bench a couple of days ago and opened it up just as an exploration to see how tight it was going to be. Went to the electronics store and picked up some switching jacks, some plugs and wire.

Made up two new wires from amp to cab, and then started laying out the switching jacks, the speaker wires inside etc. and got it all straight in my mind of how I wanted to do it.

Finished it up just a bit ago. I am always nervous when I first turn an amp back on after I've been inside it thinking about all the things I could have screwed up, but it fired up and no smoke. :laugh2:

It wasn't terribly hard to do, but for me any way requires a lot of planning and concentration. It is a tight fit, but it will work. :shock:

The internals worked as before, so I hooked it up to my "new" cab.

The difference in sound is night and day. Volume is considerably louder, and full rich sound with all the bass that's missing from the internal speakers.

You remember the sound of this amp in the demos on youtube? This is what it sounds like in all those demos that were mic'd up and run through a PA or recorded directly and then played out through a "sound" system.

I love this amp just as it is, but wanted the option to play it with "jamming" volume with my friends.

I realize, that I have voided my warranty by doing what I did, but it was worth it for me.

I took pics all along the way, but probably won't post them until some time tomorrow.

zoork_1, guidothepimmp, LSAR and 15 others like this.
  2. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

Your valued curiousity and contribution is appreciated and eagerly anticipated.

2 people like this.
  3. Bag302

Bag302 Junior Member

Please post the pics

4. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Great idea, I'd like to see the pics. :thumb:

5. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

Thanks guys!!

I've got some things to do this morning, but I'll do my best to get the pics up by this afternoon.

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

I really hope they offer a THR with an optional speaker input jack in the near future.

7. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

I also have a 10C, as well as plenty of speaker cabs. This is a project that I would tackle in a heartbeat ! Looking forward to your pics so that I can have all the (brain) work done for me (by YOU !) :applause:

Thanks for posting this up, you are going to get lots of interest from the THR community.

8. kuhboom

kuhboom Senior Member

Gotta see these pics! I've been contemplating doing this with my THR10 for awhile now.

9. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

Here are the pics:

Let me say before you start reading, that I do not advocate you try this if you don't have soldering skills, mechanical skills or electrical skills.

Doing the following on a brand new piece of equipment will void the warranty. If you follow what I have done and try to duplicate it, you do so at your own risk. :shock:

[​IMG]

This is the bottom of the cabinet after dis-assembly.

[​IMG]

Speaker assembly after it's out of the cabinet.

[​IMG]

Back of speaker assembly.

[​IMG]

Bottom of speaker assembly.

[​IMG]

Top with circuit boards attached after pulled off cabinet.

[​IMG]

Main circuit board where speaker connector and battery power connects.

[​IMG]

Right speaker pulled out of speaker assembly.

[​IMG]

Jacks installed inside view.

[​IMG]

Jacks installed outside view.

[​IMG]

So, it's not hard, but it is tedious because of the tight space.

There are 3 screws in the back right along the seam, 2 screws in the bottom through 2 of the feet, 4 allen screws in the front, and 2 screws in the bottom front.

You do not have to take the screws out of the battery assembly. I started in the back and gently pried up a bit, then moved out front. You need to be careful with the front because of the 2 screw tabs on each end of the bottom of the front that could catch on the internal speakers and tear them.

Lift the front up and over with the speaker wires and battery power cables connected. Once you have the front/top tilted over, you can pull the speaker connector and the battery connector from the main circuit board with needle nose pliers.

There are 2 screws you can see in the inside of the bottom behind the speaker assembly. These screws only need to be loosened enough to get the assembly out of the bottom.

As you can see you have a nice length of speaker wire to work with. I simply cut the wire assembly in half and used the connector as my source to run to the splitting jacks.

Blue (positive) and yellow (negative) are the right speaker. Red (positive) and White (negative) are the left speaker.

As you can see from the speaker picture, the stock internal speakers are 6 Ohms. An 8 Ohm speaker should not cause harm, but I don't know that to be a fact.

I spliced the wire from the source to the splitting jack with a shared ground for each speaker and then spliced back in to the wire running back to the internal speakers.

Each has it's own jack.

I chose to put both jacks on the left side with the right speaker in the rear, and the left closer to the front. The choice was based on space. I still had to clip some ends off of solder joints on the circuit board just to feel safer.

I might even take it back apart today and lower the jack holes a tad bit more to make myself even more comfortable. :hmm:

I hope this is helpful to the THR community. I will be happy to answer any questions if I can.

It was Bilbarstows post in my decision thread that was the deciding factor for buying the 10C, and I thank you for that. :applause:

As to Yamaha actually making this as an option from the factory, I don't think they ever will. The THR series is sold as a concept of quiet practice and portablility. Once you tie an external cab or cabs to it, the portability is much more difficult. Once you hear it through the external speakers, you won't play it with stock speakers again unless you need to be very quiet. :laugh2:

zoork_1, Rhust, Its Luke and 9 others like this.
  10. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Glad you like the 10C, Axeman, and that I could help you with your decision. :wave:

I agree, I don't see Yamaha making out-jacks an option or part of the product - it would go against what the Marketing Geeks green-lighted as the market niche for this product (let's not bother to make what our customers actually want).

All that said, your solution is clean and elegant, and exactly what I want. I've never been afraid to crack the case on a piece of equipment I have bought (particularly when it is as inexpensive as 3 bills), but I ALWAYS like it better when I can follow somebody else's pioneering efforts ! To quote from Bladerunner : "You've done a man's job, sir." :cool:

You can disclaimer yourself all you want. I'mma gonna do it, dammit!

Thanks for posting this.

1 person likes this.
  11. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

Thank you for your kind words!!

I have the same problem as you. I've never been afraid to open up any equipment I have ever bought. Some of those times I should have left it closed. :laugh2:

Go for it and post your results when finished!!! :fingersx:

You'll be astonished at how great it sounds! :thumb:

12. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

Just got it buttoned back up for the 2nd time.

I lowered the jacks just a tad for my own comfort and ease of mind. The washer covers everything fine.

I did put a drop of super glue between the jack housing and the wall of the cabinet once I got the jack where I wanted it.

It is so close in there, I don't want the jack coming loose even by accident and swinging into the connections on the circuit board. :laugh2:

You might want to think about doing the same once you are ready to close up for good. :cool:

13. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Interesting work around.

I figured most people used a double male 1/8 cable out of the headphone jack into nice speakers but this way you get to use guitar speakers. Ive run a Vox amplug that way.

I am guessing you couldnt do that with a 1/4 adapter as the headphone ohms is probably wrong.

What do you think the watts is?

1 person likes this.
  14. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

I tried it several ways using the headphone jack. There is just not enough output there to run to anything except powered speakers or a surround sound system. The sound just wasn't there. If you were to hook it to a stereo PA system with large speakers, you might get the sound that the external jacks gets out of regular guitar speakers.

The manual says 5 watts per channel for a total of 10 watts.

1 person likes this.
  15. tideluva

tideluva Junior Member

Some of the photos aren't showing up in my browser, have the links been broken? Just curious as to the wiring at the jack. Thanks!

16. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

All the photos and links are still there and operational.

I did not take a separate pic of the soldering on the jacks. They are standard switching jacks as as the name implies, they complete the circuit when nothing is plugged into them. When you plug in, the internal speaker circuit is broken, and re-directed to the external speaker.

17. mister V

mister V Junior Member

Registered here just to say a big thanks to theaxeman. Found this thread while was trying to find how to make a speaker out for the THR10.

I made this mod slightly different - I added a two-pos. switch for switching on/off the THR's own speakers. So I can use the THR as a head with my 1x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30, I can make a mini-stack by switching THR's speakers on, and I can fill the whole room with sound by placing the THR in one corner and the cabinet in another.

[​IMG]

And again big thanks to theaxeman!

11 people like this.
  18. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

Looks great, and quite innovative with the switch.

Glad I could help out!!

19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Very impressive!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  20. gruzin_1987

gruzin_1987 Junior Member

theaxeman

Great job, i onw THR10C too and i'd like to do like you have done.

It would be great if you shoot more pictures how you have connected the wires coming out of THR speakers to the output jack. Or if you have shoot video making this project, many others might like to do so. As i'm intended to do, but i need more info about this great project.

mister V

The same i'd like to say about your project. U're great

DeterOblix and theaxeman like this.