Yamaha THR100HD or Blackstar ID60? - Price not a factor - which is better?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by yell03, Dec 25, 2015.

1. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Master volume is not a saved setting, if you're buying an for flexibility then the easiest way to use it is to pre-program all the sounds you want, select the preset you need then simply switch the remote to effects control mode so you can toggle the effects on/off as needed.
    Otherwise the time to access totally different tones means playing around with the front panels controls (TVP & Voicing) everytime you want to change. No problem if you're not playing live or can stop playing to f**k around but generally speaking people who buy these things was quick access not minutes switching stuff. You can still easily/quickly adjust the global M Volume, presence and resonance by hand and they'll respond in real time, the other tone controls require you pass their current setting in one direction or another in order to change.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

This. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. yell03

yell03 Senior Member

I really would buy this in a heartbeat if it was more of a channel switcher, at age 52 I don't have the patience for all the presets. Sure, they are easy to set, but I might not be in the mood for that preset.

I live by the KISS rule..

KISS = keep it simple stupid

2 people like this.
  4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

^^ I think you're missing something, yes you can simply toggle between two channels on the Yamaha, but each channel still needs you to pre-select or select in real-time the amp voice and tube types. That's no better than the ID except the ID has 128 selections if you buy the optional FS while all you'll ever have is the ability to switch between two on the Yamaha. Of course you could use the ID that way but why would you? The FS on the Yamaha only gets you channel sw, reverb, boost, OD or effects loop on off.
    The only thing the ID doesn't give you is two independent power amps and to use them you need a dedicated speaker each amp. (be it split in a single cab or two separate cabs) because you cannot connect two power amps to a single load.
    I'm not trying to sway you to the ID because to be frank I don't care one way or the other, just wanted to make sure you understand the differences coming from the tube amp world.

5. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Senior Member

2204?

1 person likes this.
  6. northernguitarguy

I just spent all of five minutes with one of those Yamaha heads. I didn't get a chance to do anything with it as it wasn't setup, so it was just a visual inspection. The amp feels as light as a ping-pong paddle, I was quite surprised; it weighs as much as a big EHX pedal. Other than that, it 'felt' like it 'looks. Nice finish. I think what I would like best about it is I'd never have to consult the manual for anything. For 'set and forget' it players as well as those who like to tweak at will, it does seem to be very user friendly.

7. yell03

yell03 Senior Member

I actually really like the Blackstar, I just want to be able to use it as a channel switcher, not a patch switcher.
    For $399 I might give it a shot and if I don't like it I will send it back.

That is the biggest appeal for me also, but $799 is a bit steep.

1 person likes this.
  8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Well with the HD you are getting two 50W power amps with that price vs the mono 100W on the H model! Just remember each speaker output on the dual model needs its own dedicated speaker, you're switching between two totally independent amps in the same package not just two pre-amps!

9. northernguitarguy

True that. But I look at it this way. My 'Terror-Train' setup which includes the VOX, Orange and a Radial Headbone switcher cost me around $900Cdn, and that was at used prices. This Yamaha unit is designed to give you both amps and more, including Fender, Mesa, etc. tones. With this, you could setup a variety of 'two-amp' setups for switching between tones.

I have said for a while now that if there were an amp with VOX cleans and Orange crunch, it would be my dream amp. I'd like to hear more about it before sinking any dough into it.

10. yell03

yell03 Senior Member

Are you saying I can't just one speaker cable to my cabinet and switch channels?

Same here

1 person likes this.
  11. northernguitarguy

I think he meant that if you want to 'tone-stack' both channels simultaneously, you need to have two separate cabs, or one that be split.

12. BulldogXTRM

BulldogXTRM Senior Member

The Blackstar is an amazing amp. I owned an ID260 and it was amazing. I sold it because I just wasn't using it since I bought my Kemper. The Yamaha is a good amp and will do just about anything. As far as the tones go though, I found the ID260 to be very dynamic and responsive to touch, like a good amp should be, the Yamaha was more sterile to me.

Hope that helps.

13. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Yamaha, hands down. After all the amps I've been through over the last year, trading, selling, buying... I've only made one mistake with those. I corrected that mistake yesterday...

Replaced my THR-10. You don't need to, but plug it into your computer and it opens up a whole new world of tones, that smoke anything Blackstar puts out.

1 person likes this.
  14. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Hey I'm not trying to sound fickle, but I retract my recommendation for the Blackstar. Tone aside, your emphasis on not wanting to save settings would significantly reduce the usability of the Blackstar. While I think it's a better product for my personal needs, I do spend a lot of time tweaking it. I get a LOT of joy in using that amp's versatility in my chase for tone. Each day I get to sculpt the effects and tones to the flavor of the day. I NEED that.

However, if twisting nobs is not fun for you, the Yamaha may be much better fit. They look and sound superb!

15. northernguitarguy

I think at this point, you need to check these out. Aside from the onboard FX on the Blackstar, they appear to be aiming at offering similar features. The Yamaha is a sleeker package and also comes with the footswitch included. It The Blackstar is more programmable. But what sounds better? What truly gets the sound and feel of tube crunch?

2 people like this.
  16. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Read the specs! It tells me that TH100HD is two complete (50W) amplifiers in one package and not two channels with a common (100W) amp! I may be wrong but there are separate outputs for speakers for each amplifier (SPKR1 & SPKR 2) so it seems more than reasonable to assume both are meant to be hooked up (individual line outs 1 & 2 as well). I think you'll either need stereo cab (which they sell for this) or two independent cabs two be able to switch between the two amps. Apparently you can also run the two at the same time for a dual amp setup but unless there's a way to bridge the amps you'd still need loads for each one.

17. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Ken,

As far as I can work out from reviews, separate preamps and power amp. Power amp can be run 100 watt mono, or 50 watts a side stereo. You can then decide to run as a mono power amp with selectable preamps, or as a 50 watts per channel stereo setup.

Mind bogglingly flexible, but I'm still trying to figure out whether the preamps can be assigned to individual stereo channels.

I have a dread that if I buy one I'll figure out how to get one amp to sound like a 2204, the other to sound like a 2203, and I'll never touch the settings again.

Liam

(Read the manual, particularly pages 16 to 18. There is very little that this thing can't do... http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=65608)

2 people like this.
  18. northernguitarguy

Nope. It works with the footswitch to be switchable between the two amps to one cab or you can use it with the setups you describe. It also has variable power output, ohm and class switchable options.

1 person likes this.
  19. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Hey North, Im with you on all your points. Chances are, both amps would suite most people with an open mind very well. I would also bet that each person has their strong individual preference for "good tube" tone, feel, etc. Take for example the idea clean tone. Some days I prefer a 6l6, others I need an EL84.

On the other hand, both the Blackstar and Yamaha amps offer great tones via tube emulation vs amp modeling technology. I like that feature. To ask which is better to a broad audience is inevidebly a challenge to keep objective. For me, the fact that someone does not want to program and save settings just automatically throws out the Blackstar. That unit is practically a high quality multi-effects unit made to work like a multi-channel amp. In my opinion, the OR15 sounds much more practical for the OP's needs.

2 people like this.
  20. yell03

yell03 Senior Member

Funny you should mention the OR15.
    Before I saw the THR100 and ID60, the OR15 was going to be my next amp.