Yamaha THR10 versus Thr10X

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Veeing Fly, Jul 19, 2017.

What's your favorite Yamaha THR amp?

1. THR10 (the O.G.)

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. THR10X (the Beast)

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. THR10C (the Bluesy one)

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. THR100H (the head)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. THR5 (the Little Brother)

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. THR5A (the acoustic Little Brother)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

After reading years of glowing reviews for the Yamaha THR line of amps, and looking for something that would give me the quality high gain tones I crave at low volume, I decided to give the THR10 a try. GC 15% coupon in hand, I trucked it on down to my local store. All they had in stock was the 10X. Boo! So I placed an order for the 10 to be shipped to the store, with an ETA of 1 week. While waiting anxiously, I kept reading and watching all I could about them, and came to the conclusion that perhaps the 10X is the version for me. All gain, all the time, plus the Bass setting, and no unnecessary (for me) Acoustic setting. Knowing I could return it if I didn’t love it, I went back down to GC, got them to honor the 15% discount, and headed home with the 10X under my arm.

Turns out I really like it! The tones are convincing (WAY better than my now-sold Micro Cube), the feature set is deep, the effects and reverb sound good. I dig the retro styling and the battery-powered portability, and the auxiliary input puts me right in the mix. The Brown 1 channel alone is worth the price of admission. So I’m rocking out at home, waiting to get the word that my THR10 has reached the store.

Sure enough, it arrives a few days later than promised, and I bring that bad boy home. And…underwhelmed. The tones were not all that I been expecting based on all of the positive feedback I had read. They sounded unconvincing and toy-ish to me. But surely the high gain settings will deliver, based on what I’d heard from the 10X? Nope. My least favorite channel on the 10X (Southern) sounded better than either the Brit Hi or Modern setting on the 10. I know I’m in the minority with this opinion, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I’m glad I waited as long as I did to pull the trigger on one of these. If I had purchased when the THR10 was the only model Yamaha sold, I wouldn’t have kept it, and I doubt I would have given the 10X or 10C a chance. As it is now, it’s a major victory for the forces of Rocking Out Quietly.

Now on to installing the THR Editor and Cubase software, and getting to Demo City!

Tenacious T and mdubya like this.
  2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I bought the original THR10 before the 10X and 10C were available. Hated it for exactly the same reason, returned it within a week.

mdubya and Veeing Fly like this.
  3. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

I just got a THR10. The regular one. Bought it for low volume playing. Mostly clean to over driven tones. The EQ knobs are great to dial in all kinds of tones.

Haven't played it loud. But at low volumes, it's great.

mdubya and Veeing Fly like this.
  4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

so I'm the type that likes a clean tone and a HEAVY tone... the X is perfect for ME... but YMMV... if I liked a more classic rock, light crunch, the regular THR would win, probably

Veeing Fly likes this.
  5. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

I love my THR10X.

Since I purchased it almost two years ago, my room full of other amps remain quiet. It's a fantastic little beast.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Rhust and Veeing Fly like this.
  6. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

The THR10 series are exceptional! I went with the THR10C as it really nailed the clean and edge of breakup tones and features I really liked; and does so far better than the original THR10 model. I didn't need the heavier driven tones the THR10X does so well. I also love the battery powered feature as that is how I have always used it for ease and portability from living room, cocktail or end table, to backyard. The THR10C also works really well as a near field FRFR stereo monitoring system for my Helix! I patch the Helix L&R outputs to the THR10's AuxIn, so the Yamaha's entire DSP (Amp Selections) and Tone Stack are bypassed and only the AuxIn knob is active. Also, in this mode, the batteries last far longer.

winexprt and Rhust like this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Damn brilliant idea!

MusicLaw likes this.
  8. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

Do you work for Yamaha? I won`t tell anyone!

MusicLaw likes this.
  9. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

THR10 fan here. I love mine!

10. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

When I have to play at low volume, the 10C is my go to amp because it usually gives me the sounds I want with the least amount of knob turning.

I did buy a used 10X because every now and then I just gotta crank the gain. :headbanger:

MusicLaw and Veeing Fly like this.
  11. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Nope. But I am a big fan of many of their products. And, they're now nearby (in Calabasas) and across the street from Line 6.

Rhust and Veeing Fly like this.
  12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Fwiw, if anyone is interested, I'm selling my thr10x

Veeing Fly likes this.