Yamaha THR10 Review

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jw3571, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I decided to make a new post with my review of the THR10. So i spent the evening messing around with the regular THR10. As others have mentioned it really is a great little amp. I'm shocked at how loud it can actually get. It actually sounds much fuller than my SL5 at a lower bedroom volume. I haven't had a chance to mess around with the USB or the headphones. I really only find the High Brit channel to be the only channel I really play. The other ones besides Modern sound too clean for me. My biggest surprise is the amount of hiss and feedback i was getting while not playing. It has more hiss than my SL5 which doesn't make much sense. Is this normal? Is there anything you can do for that? I've also noticed that there is buzzing coming from the speaker if it's turned up to much, i notice this more on the cleaner channels. I've tried turning the bass all the way down but still notice it. Overall it really is a sweet little amp that is a great solution for bedroom players.

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Is it more of a high pitched whine?

I had that show up on my X and almost took it back. Was quite loud and annoying. However, its just a design flaw, they haven't and don't appear willing to fix.

Its about 5 minutes fix. You can send it back, they'll send you another, with the same issue. You can take it to an authorized shop and they'll do the same fix, I'm linking... or you can do it yourself... and I suppose void your warranty, if they find out. I Just did it any way.

Yamaha THR10 Squealing Noise Fix | Pick Roar

3. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Thanks for the link but that's not the sound i'm getting. I'm talking more about the feedback hum and hiss a lot of bigger amps get. I'm just surprised this is louder than my SL5 in this department.

4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

They added it for authenticity, same as the orange LEDs. If my tube amp glowed that brightly, I'd sh!t meself :laugh2: Mine makes the noise occasionally, I think it's more to do with what else is loading the house's circuit at the time.

2 people like this.
  5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Yeah, some of that is normal. Though, I don't remember it being anything I really noticed, or that annoyed me.

With the X, thing I really noticed... the GAIN. Massive amounts of GAIN. But, they're pretty clean.

The only time, I get unwanted noise, is I have one particular stereo cord, plugging into my tablet, turns the whole deal into a local FM radio. Switch cords... goes away.

6. Ceunon

Ceunon Junior Member

You can go to the THR editor on your computer (you have to install it from the yamaha site) and there is some extra things you can add to your sound like a noise gate. That should get rid of the hum i think.

1 person likes this.
  7. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

you can disable the orange lights with the software that comes with the amp.

one of the first things i did lol....

you can REALLY tweak the characteristics of the tone on that little monster using the software as well.

i LOVE mine.

2 people like this.
  8. BenK

BenK Senior Member

I have read the earlier thr10s had an issue with their power supply that Yamaha has recognized and will fix.

That could very well be the high pitch hiss issue.

I've got an X and it's amazing!

If you sit a few feet in front of it the noise out of those hi-fi speakers literally surrounds you, it's kinda trippy at first but creates the illusion of a much higher wattage pumping thought the air.

9. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I like them but I must have a 12" speaker.

10. BenK

BenK Senior Member

Agreed, there is no real substitute for that....BUT those tiny little speakers come as close as you can get!!!

The iPhone app is pretty schnazzy too, can slow down tracks, pick up and play along with songs. Has a feature where you can change the pitch of the song to match your tuning which is really handy.
    Was a little disappointed with the apps ability duck the guitar track when using the app, it's a great idea in theory but doesn't really function well in reality. Still it's free!!!!

No reason to try that out.

11. BenK

BenK Senior Member

No reason to NOT try that out.
    Dam double negatives

1 person likes this.
  12. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

If you're getting hum in your signal, try running off of batteries. It makes mine crystal clear. I just bought a few sets of rechargeable batteries and switch them out. I get no signal noise at all.

13. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I'll give that a try, thanks.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

I'm an owner for all of two weeks, but I haven't gotten a chance to dive into the computer editor yet. I'm always skeptical about that (not a fan of the FUSE software for my Champ X2), but people seem to really like it for the THR10.

Here's a question though: say I find a preset that I like on the computer (there's a user-created one for "Brown Sound", for example). I can save that to one of the 5 preset buttons, right? But what if I want turn up the volume just a bit, or roll off the high end...can I move just one of the knobs and make an adjustment, or are you locked into whatever settings are tied to that preset when you set it on the computer? Make sense?

15. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

I haven't used the presets in awhile, but I think if you change anything other than volume, then the model will revert to whatever position the knobs are in when you make the change. You lose all other settings until you go back to the preset. I would guess that if you want to make those sorts of changes and keep other settings, you would have to do it in the editor, not on the box itself.

1 person likes this.