Yamaha THR vs. Blackstar ID 15

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by tgajak, Feb 21, 2014.

1. tgajak

tgajak Junior Member

Hi, all. This is my first post here, and I appreciate any help that you can give me. I am an absolute neophyte guitar player, but have lurked here for a while. As a result, I am the proud owner of a Tribute + (black cherry), and Rocksmith 2014. My plan is to get comfortable/proficient enough to take lessons. I would say the music I listen to the most (i.e.. my most probable influences) would be Radiohead, White Stripes, the Police, U2, SRV, Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Boston, the Cure, The The, etc. Essentially, a mix of styles and tones. I am never going to gig, have no aspirations of being a professional musician, or anything like that. I just have always wanted to play the guitar for my own enjoyment.

I am looking at getting a small amp and don't need the volume of a tube amp. I also don't want or need to invest in a bunch of effects pedals and the like, so the ability of these amps to emulate the tones I like is appealing. In my case, close enough will be good enough. As a result the Yamaha and the Blackstar amps listed in the title of this thread strongly appeal to me. I like the idea of the stereo output of the Yamaha and the fact that it can serve as a "speaker" for an MP3 player (making it "multipurpose"). I also like the fact that it can be battery driven. That being said, the Blackstar's modeling options, TVP and ability to connect to pedals seem to make it a more versatile amp for actually using with a guitar.

Given the variety of tones and guitarists that appeal to me and the information I have provided, which amp would be better suited to me? I know the Yamaha is spoken of highly and comes in 3 flavors (which is also causing me some confusion). The Blackstar also seems to be well received, but doesn't seem to be reviewed as much. I have "listened" to the amps online and have read what i can find (including posts on this forum) but am still at a loss as to which would be better for me.

Any help from the collective brain trust would, again, be much appreciated. I have a birthday coming up in early March, and my wife is asking me what I want, so the quicker the response the more likely I am to avoid ties and dress shirts...

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

I own a THR10C and have played a THR10. Tell me what type of music you are playing and I can tell you which of the 3 Yamahas will suit your needs. I know nothing about the Blackstar.

3. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Either will do good. I had the ID30 and just did not connect with it. The dynamics are not tube like, they more fade in and out on your pick attack which I did not like. That being said, I would do the THR or you could go with a Mustang II or Mustang III. Once you learn the interface on the Mustang, you can dial in a lot of nice tones and the effects are really good to get you close to the covers you will be playing for years before you get really good and start developing your own tone and music.

4. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Yamaha has two 3in speakers....let that sink in.

Is it a fun little modeler.....by all account definitely. But I would rather run Amplitube through nice computer speakers than spend $300 on what is suppose to be your 3rd amp.

For $300 there are a lot better options unless you are dying to rock out poolside on batteries (6hrs on 8 AA).

1 person likes this.
  5. tgajak

tgajak Junior Member

Thanks for all of the information. I will take a look at the Mustang II and see if that fits the bill.