Yamaha THR Heads

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by {JAKE}, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Matty

Matty Senior Member

It seems they will be delayed until late December. :sadwave:

2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ok that demo kinda changed my mind. That is sick. They made a big boy version of the thr 10.... Now, make me a X version... Damnit! Or maybe the modern channel can get heavy enough with the boost on?

Im impressed again. I just wish it wasn't so expensive

2 people like this.
  3. dr_n00b

dr_n00b Senior Member

scary. blind testing it I'm pretty sure I would hesitate weather it was tube or not.
    when he flipped from solid to clean it made me flinch.

really impressive. gotta say the different tube emulations don't really work. they got EL34 and 6v6 right, EL84 sounded decent. 6L6 didn't sound all that impressive.

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Blackstar has had this in the ID TVP line for awhile now AND a lot cheaper.

2 people like this.
  5. jcvw75

jcvw75 Junior Member

Just buy a THR10 and plug it into a laney IRT-X.

Then plug it into a cabinet if you like to get 200 watts.

There're also DIY mods out there to make the channel switching footswitch.

Cheaper than the THR100.

How the hell anyone would pay for the overpriced crippled non-channel switching THR100 is beyond understanding.

6. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Senior Member

Right. Maybe deaf people. At 3/4 throttle, my THR10 is about as loud as I need for home use, even in the middle of the day for where I live.

7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Maybe the demos don't do tvp blackstar justice, but I wasn't that impressed with them yet... But I would try one if I wanted a giggable ss amp

8. Yelir

Yelir Senior Member

I was excited to read about any news on the next THR so I'll wait patiently to one day try it. Kind of bummed about the missing FX and recording feature, but it still warrants interest before I give it a real opinion.

Since this posting has anyone made a purchase (if it's not pre-shipping now)? I need to hear some lengthy pros and cons! :hmm:

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 1 Liam. :thumb: :applause: A few friends are looking at one now. I certainly think you have to try them out first to comment.

One of the Demos I heard was awfully bright but it was just one Demo.

Would make a great, easy to carry, versatile gigging / backup Amp IMHO if it sounds good in the flesh. I also hear the Quilter is another option (for a backup at least).

Cheers, Rudi

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Guys, this is worth listening to............I thought it was pretty cool.

I'm as Tube as Tube can be but you need to keep an open mind with new Class D SS Amps. Done right they can offer a viable alternative that opens up a load of possibility.

I will always own 3 or 4 Tube Heads but this thing has potential as a cost effective Axe FX style Amp IMHO..................with way less Knobs! :laugh2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8mpCQiYVU[/ame]

Lastly, I have found some of the Demos bright but IMHO this has more to do with the Speakers / Cab, just a hunch IMHO.

I'd run this with my own Cabs, not the Yamaha Cab.

:cheers2:

11. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

This should be a rule.

12. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Looks very well thought out. $600 or $800 is not that expensive when you consider they're 8 or 9.2 lbs, will never need new tubes, and can sound pretty close to dozens of one-trick-pony amps. Great for studios too, would cut rental, set up and tweaking time to nothing.

Definitely on my Xmas list.

1 person likes this.
  13. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I really am going to have to try one of these. Good demo - thanks for posting Rudi - I wondered why it wasn't available when the magazine published, and now I know.

The only trouble with all this is that I already bought a couple of 50 watt channel switching tube heads in the last few months. One of them I bought because it sounded amazing in the shop. The other I bought on reputation and youtube demos alone because I just couldn't find one to demo anywhere. Still haven't finished deciding which is the keeper, but I'm a little surprised which one is winning just at this point in time.

Why does all this matter? I guess because if I'm going to consider the THR100, I now know I will have to buy one, use it at home, and rehearse and gig with it before I know if it's for me. Think it's going to have to wait until next year, but I would LOVE to know what they feel like. That's the bit that no-one gets quite right, and it probably matters as much as tonal subtleties.

Liam

4 people like this.
  14. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

So, now that you swines have given me the GAS on these heads, who's bought one to try it out? :)The local Yamaha dealer hasn't stocked one of these yet. I'm very curious to try one. I really like that the controls are very simple and familiar. No menus to surf through, I like that. I also like that it appears to be a platform for your pedals, rather than trying to have every sound in one box.

1 person likes this.