Yamaha THR Heads

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by {JAKE}, Oct 11, 2015.

1. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I looked at your link, and was a bit confused. I looked at the specs which listed all these tube types for the power section, and none for the preamp section. Then I looked at the power amp class, and it said "Class D" which usually means SS.

Now I'm certainly not a SS or digital guy, but I know there have been vast improvements in these pretty recently. My advice is to play before you pay.

1 person likes this.
  3. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

The THR head was tested in UK's Guitarist magazine this month. Scored a rare 10/10, they loved it.

No tubes in it, all digital modeling, but emulates lots of different power tubes and both common tube operating classes. Importantly they worked on getting it to feel right rather than trying to exactly simulate any particular amp of the past. Going to be interesting to see what the market makes of it.

Is it going to make me sell all my tube amps? Nope! Am I going to try one? Maybe...

Liam

4 people like this.
  4. lunchie

lunchie Senior Member

MSRP $1300... eeks. Whats that? Probably $800 street? If they were $500 I'd be really tempted. I think if I was in the market I'd probably go with a ID:100TVP and save a few hundo.

6 people like this.
  5. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

When I first heard about the original THR I was like, "300 effing dollars for a solid state practice amp the size of a toaster...no way!!" Then I played one. Then I bought one. Then I went home and threw rocks at my other practice amps. I've said many times that if I could get a gig-sized THR I'd jump all over it. And here it is....hells yes. I will be buying one of these to use with my 1960A. I have never had any interest in SS amps until I played a THR. Anyone want to buy a JVM 210 head? ( :

11 people like this.
  6. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Senior Member

Is that the price just for the head? If that's the case, I think you're right. I might be more willing to spring for an ID series Blackstar.

The output wattages only go as low as 25 watt, which is still way too much for use at home. That's kind of a deal breaker for me.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm a fan, but too rich for my blood.

1 person likes this.
  8. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I finally had a chance to play the thr10c in a music store for a few minutes . I thought it was good & in such a extremely portable unit ...:applause:
    Even though it's quite a bit larger my Mustang 3 V2 is my Bedroom amp

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I love my THR10X... love it... but 1300??? we are into kemper-level money now... WTF?! sounds great, amazing, in person, I'm sure... but no f'ing way

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

They are $600 single and $800 for the double.

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Oh, my bad, just Mesa money... ;)

12. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

I wouldn't compare this to your THR10X practice amp. This appears to be a gigging amp. Actually 2 gigging amps in a very lightweight package that seems to offer some nice features for a gigging musician. The 25-50-100 watt options can be very useful as is the possibilities of having 2 independent amps that can be set up in a variety of ways and is footswitchable. I used to lug 2 amps around to give me what I wanted. I'm very interested in trying one of these out.

13. deadbeat

deadbeat Senior Member

Wow, you might be the first person I've ever heard say a 25 watt solid state amp is too much for home use. You do realize the little THR10 is 10 watts, right? Some people complain all of the time that its clean setting is too quiet for their use at home.

2 people like this.
  14. dr_n00b

dr_n00b Senior Member

oh man you just went there and opened the "ITS RMS WATTS WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IF IT'S SS OR TUBE?!" can of worms.

you do not want to go there...

but since you did -

25w SS is, like, 5w tube at best.

1 person likes this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

I thought it was overpriced. If it is around 400-500, I'd probably consider it.

16. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

If the models sound and feel as good as a Fractal Axe-FX II, it's an absolute bargain. They seem to be shooting for a fairly specific market with this one, and I'm guessing the pricing is a part of that.

Great can of worms! :) 25 watts is 25 watts. Not everyone tells the whole truth about how many RMS watts their amp models can achieve with a moderate level of distortion (and whether they can get their SS power amp to follow the waveform into clipping the way a tube amp does it). Given the Yamaha target market (and price), I am guessing they needed to ensure the power section can keep up with a 100 watt tube head. Blackstar manage it, I am sure Yamaha can.

Liam

2 people like this.
  17. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Yamaha is trying to do a come back. They make so many products from motorcycles to grande pianos. I have never been that impressed by their stuff and a $1,300 tag on that?

18. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

SS amps are getting real good these days,
    The Yam' looks like a interesting option to the other fx amps around, From the pictures it looks a lot more user friendly with what appears to be a fairly conventional control layout, nothing there would freek me out

19. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I'm confused because I've seen so many prices quoted here I don't know how much these things cost.

But whatever they cost, when we buy an amp, we are buying tone. Not looks, not features, not specs, but tone. If these things blow you away with their tone, perhaps you need one. If they don't, you don't. But you have to play one with your favorite guitar to find out.

20. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Sweetwater has a nice in-depth review of this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ8O-QKc88w[/ame]

1 person likes this.