YAMAHA THR-10 review!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by H.E.L.Shane, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin Senior Member

Can you connect the Yamaha to an active monitor for example to make it sound bigger?

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

I have a THR10C for sale/trade in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.

3. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

yep.. just use an adapter that goes from 1/4" for the headphone jack on the THR10 to whatever size the input of your monitors is.. I run mine through my yamaha MX-1000 power amp and JBL studio monitors all the time.

you can also hook it up USB to a laptop and then the laptop to the monitors.

1 person likes this.
  4. steelduck

steelduck Member

I am in Boston right now traveling from Finland and saw a THR at a Guitar Center.. Could someone check from their own THR if the power supply is 110-230w?

ie. does it work in europe with a simple plug converter?

5. steelduck

steelduck Member

Anyone, could someone please check their power supply for 110-230W... I am heading home today...

6. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

The input rating for the power supply is 100 to 240 volts 50/60Hz 1.1A, so it should work with the plug adapter. Enjoy your new amp you're going to love it.

1 person likes this.
  7. steelduck

steelduck Member

Thank you caljoe

1 person likes this.
  8. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher Junior Member

Wow... really classy, referring to one of their employees as a "monkey." Yes. They're just mindless monkeys, there only to serve your smug middle class needs. Sorry but this left a bad taste in my mouth and pretty much negates anything good you may have gone on to say in your review. That's just so ugly of you to say.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaNKaN

DaNKaN Junior Member

I really wanna do this mod on my THR5.
    Googled like a maniac but I can't find anything more than this, a few that has done the mod but no description HOW they've done it.

Anybody know? Pictures?

10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Wow, what a long strange journey to get to this amp. I have been through so many modeling, hybrid amps lately... Guitar Center is pretty sore with me. Especially, since it included them giving me back $130 today.

This past 2 months have seen a Blackstar ID:Core 20, Blackstar HT1GC (I would still have this, if it weren't a GC "exclusive" bare-bones), Blackstar ID:Core 40, Vox Valvetronix VT20+ and finally... a KEEPER... the Yamaha THR10 (after a short confusing period with the 10C).

The Blackstar honestly, if I didn't have my Flextone II, I would probably still own the 20 and would have stopped, for a while until some more $$$ came my way. But, I'd play it... mess around with their clever ISF control, be seemingly satisfied. Then plug into my Flextone and weep. The Line 6 (I'm not speaking for the Spider amps here) always sounds so full and truly has a tube sound, with a lot of useful sound/tone flexibility.

One of the things that's bugged me about the modeling (affordable) amps, I've experienced since I bought my first Line 6 (a Spider)... with a 3-band EQ, it has to be cut way back on the mids, or the guitars just get muddy and sound like crap, especially at volume. The guitar, is really a midrange instrument (at least coming from a former clarinet player). I should be able to crank mids and the guitar should sing. At least, that's my opinion. The Flextone II has tons of mids.

But, this isn't about that amp.

The HT1GC at almost $200 is a monumental rip-off, if you can grab it for $99 at MF, jump on it. A true tube amp, tons of tone and can power a 2x12, I believe. With the Les Paul, its "that sound". Cheap-made little sucker (wasn't much impressed with the build quality on any of the Blackstar, though I like their USB interface and software). Also, the HT1GC, NO MP3, NO HEADPHONES... just a Speaker Line Out. Its a practice amp! It should have those things. Wasn't willing to pay the extra for the non-exclusive model, nor the really bigger price for the reverb model.

This led to the ID:Core 40, hoping to overcome some of the shortcoming in the 20. The stereo effect is cool for a while, tripping out on how immersive it is... but just still, no bottom end and the mids cut like razor blades, instead of sang.

I thought the Vox, a pretty ingenious amp section with the 12AX7, would fill the bill for some more balls and warm tones, but no. At least, not that I could find. I read a review, maybe here... where someone said the Vox Valvetronix, in their opinion... all the dials besides master volume and the wattage control, were useless past 12 o'clock (mid). Especially the higher gain channels. Nails on a chalkboard. For some of the harder stuff I like to play, yeah... it could hit some of those. The AC30 and I think the Boutique setting could produce some pretty cool tones, but... for all it was touted to be, I wasn't that enamored with it.

I've been told, unless you're going to get one of the better known and all tube Vox amps, they're nothing to write home about. Again... next to an old 90s Line 6 Flextone... fail.

So I end back up in GC today, whining about my amp. If the Vox had a better computer interface, I was saying... but also thinking about how it screeched next to the Flextone... I'm looking at this little Yamaha modeling amp, I've read rave things about. For the first time ever, while looking at something other than a $2000+ guitar... people are walking up to me (I haven't plugged in yet)... "Oh those are great amps!", "Awesome amp, man!"

So I decide to piss off the manager (this is like I said, one of many exchanges/swaps/returns lately)... I go home, grab my Vox and my SGJ. This time, its getting tested out with my damn guitar and if it can bring out the mids on the SGJ... then its got a job! I know the Kramer and LP will sound good, if the SGJ does.

Get back there, plug in and wait until every shredder has silenced their guitar, dial up Brit Hi, about 3/4 gain (a bit high but HEY! I like it) and rip into UFO's Rock Bottom at about 1/2 master volume...

Everyone stopped what they were doing. LOL! This little sucker has balls... big ones. Better low-end than that 10" speakers in the Blackstar. Sound? Oh she sounded sweet, oh so sweet. I was hooked.

I notice they have it in black! I say, "is that the same?" I'm told it is (obviously isn't) and buy it brand new... smile on my face, though wallet a little lighter, with the price difference between it and the Vox.

Get home, unpack, load software, download drivers.... then I'm looking at a review and someone says, the THR-10C doesn't have that much gain. What? I just rocked out to with this thing. It cranks. But, I had played a white one in the store. That of course led me to finding out there's 3 models... and the blues model was not remotely what I wanted.

So I packed it up, drove back to GC, where I also knew they had a THR-10... used for $100 cheaper than the new one. Since I already had the software loaded, knew I had all the cables I needed... and a little sore, I had to make a trip back for bad info, I wanted a little cash back in my bank account.

Got her home again. Plugged her in and there it was! That was the sound!

And I can mod this thing and run a stereo cab? Muahahahaha! I have electronics bg. This might be fun.

Excuse the length... but I am really excited about this amp. Next to my Les Paul, I think its the most fun I've had in a while. I love my bigger amp, but I hardly ever get to play her. At least now, I won't weep anymore when I plug in and I realize how crappy my "practice amp" (that's all I do) sounds.

If you're thinking about one... pull the trigger!

3 people like this.
  11. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

^ sez you...

That's about the best take on a happy NAD this product could ask for.
    Please elaborate on why you prefer the 10 over the C, I have the 10 and have considered the C.

12. GibsonKramer

The C could only hit the lesser limits of the amount of distortion/overdrive I want. I saw a video sound test, where the guy pulled a little bit more out of it, than that. It would probably do, if I was going to stick to 60s and some 70s rock. Don't really want to add pedals for something I bought to just grab and go, move around, etc.

I like to play everything from Nugent, UFO, AC/DC (hahaha), Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Aersomith. While I'll shoot for a tone similar to whomever I might be playing, I like my sound a lot dirtier... but I didn't want washed out (which all the other brands do... they just screech at that point).

The X has some great tones... but was a bit harder to clean up.

I think the middle of the road, is just a good compromise. If I were to lean harder towards one particular and never had any interest in the other... I'd get the C or X. But, for my needs... still just loving it more and more.

After I started playing with the software, its just getting more impressive. Though, that would apply, across the line any of the models and probably how the guy got that much better tone that I did. Once I saw it wasn't the same amp, turned up the gain and was less than impressed... I took it back.

13. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

So I take it your enjoying your new amp :laugh2:
    HNAD, welcome to the club :thumb:

[Edit] Oh, the X kick ass!

1 person likes this.
  14. GibsonKramer

I watched a bunch of vids on it last night, tried to find the ones that guys had it mic'd properly (not direct off cam), or running direct into PC. All the models sound great. Yeah, the X does kick ass. I'm really impressed Yamaha has done this.

My very first amp/guitar was an old big brown 1x12" Yamaha amp of blah. I think it was a JX40... and a Fender Lead II guitar. Wasn't fond of etiher (presents my parents had picked out for me)... got rid of both, soon as I could, without hurting their feelings.

Had they made stuff like this back then... dayum. I want a time machine!!!

1 person likes this.
  15. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Yeah I want to get a big one like Buzzhaze has :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

No really they need to make a big one:cool:

1 person likes this.
  16. GibsonKramer

More videos I watch and listen to tones, I'm liking that 10X more and more. Its a tough call. As I got the 10 for $100 less than new, as it was used (barely). Plus, it sounds incredible... wouldn't even think about it, if I didn't listen more to the 10X.

Those "brown tones" are amazing. I was a hardcore VH addict. They were what got me into hard rock and he was the one that got me into guitar. I still remember, listening to VH I on my uncle's 8-track, until I probably wore it out. Hitting the buttons, to repeat tracks over and over.

I know that tone and that 10X comes closer to most anything I've ever heard.

Hope I get enough for Christmas... would like to upgrade and have enough for a small tube amp.

1 person likes this.
  17. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

The brown sound is where it's at :thumb:

You need to buy :naughty:

2 people like this.
  18. GibsonKramer

Now, I just need to find a little tube amp that can get that same sound and cleans up nice, with at least reverb.

Though... I swear, Yamaha is onto something that may disappoint true purists, over the long haul (tube going bye-bye). The more comments I read on this amp, even tube guys are saying these are "must have" in your collection and a lot of guys comment, these (the whole line) get the majority of their attention.

That says a lot.

3 people like this.
  19. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

Ya know... I was having a spat with my THR-10 the other day...

I noticed this faint fizzy, crackly, weirdness in the highs under distortion as the notes sustain and fade out on the Brit High Gain channel (through a really good pair of phones) and i was like.. WTF is that?? is something going out or is this just digital demons inherent in the system that i never noticed before???

Soooooo when i went into BCR the next time.. I plugged into a Marshall, three of them and used similar settings...

Guess what...

Same thing there (albeit to varying degrees because of the different amps, one was a DSL and one was a JVM and I dont remember whet the other was) once I learned to listen for it...

Holy crap, they really did get the model right!!! :shock: (but.. ya know, IMHO, the coulda left that out!)

3 people like this.
  20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

Wow, yeah, sorry to bump an old thread that was recently re-bumped anyway, but I am absolutely going to own a THR10 in the very near future. I knew that the THR10 was a "thing" for awhile now, but I either didn't know or understand what a lunchbox amp was, and the form factor of this Yamaha looks almost more like a Vox or Orange mini-preamp than a bedroom-sized combo amp. I guess I just didn't get it. So, like @GibsonKramer, I've had a really weird, meandering path to "discovering" the THR10.

This summer, I was randomly in Guitar Center and ended up with at Blackstar ID Core10. It's 100 dollars (1/3 the price of the Yamaha), also has dual 3" speakers, and has basically all of the same vital features the THR10 has - 6 different amp models; a full effects suite that lets you combine reverb with modulation/delay; and USB connectivity with software to tweak the presets. In fact, there's really nothing wrong with the ID Core10 at all, except what I discovered this past week: It still isn't the Yamaha THR10.

I've played it twice now in a music store, and the sound coming out of the thing doesn't even make sense. I'm half-tempted to check to make sure I'm not actually plugged into a different amplifier. It's not that the amp is that "loud" - I had plenty of volume at 12 o'clock settings and haven't even tried to push it yet - it's just that it sounds so convincingly "big" for such a small little box. And even more than that, it sounds like so many different things. That's really what struck me about the THR versus the ID Core10: Clean Bright vs. Clean Warm on the latter are pretty much as they suggest, wheras "Clean vs. Crunch" on the THR10 is actually a Fender Deluxe vs. a Vox AC30. Same with the heavier amp models of Marshall/Mesa Boogie, etc.

So yeah, once I figure out a few things to sell and get some money together for it, it's an absolute no brainer. As was said above, I can't believe how much better the amps are at this price point today than they used to be. Tube amps were too heavy, expensive, and inflexible for the needs of most beginners. The thought of how much more I could have played and enjoyed playing in high school, college, etc. (when I actually had the TIME) to play had I been able to sound like THIS through a THR10...it almost makes me sick to think about it. But forget that, I am OBSESSED with this little amp now. I haven't even been on the forums much in 2014 and (mostly) kicked the pedal habit - this thing got me excited all over again.

2 people like this.