YAMAHA THR-10 review!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by H.E.L.Shane, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Red Baron

Red Baron Senior Member

The reason you can't share presets between these amps is because they are physically different to one another. In other words each of the amp sounds are generated from hardware components and not in software, so in order to share presets you'd need one amp that has the same hardware from all three amps.

2. Gooseone

Gooseone Member

Well from what i understood, they use DSP to model individual analog components, which is why the eq, master, gain guitar etc have their unique response. I don't think they are physically different but i do think that for interchangeable amp models the firmware will have to be modded / hacked.

3. Matty

Matty Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgnkZ1pMpo]Yamaha THR5 / THR10 V.2 - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  4. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Yesterday I brought my 10x over to a buddys house to test out a guitar in his kitchen. He was blown away by it, and was amazed it was running on batteries. Now that Yamaha owns Line 6, do you think in the future this type of stuff will be Line 6 products?
    I wish they would combine the sounds from all 3 THR amps into one amp.

5. 10rman88

10rman88 Senior Member

While I was at Guitar Center yesterday I saw A THR-10c snuggled between some other amps and since I've only seen the regular version in stores I figured Id play around with it.......

HOLY CRAP that thing smokes you guys were not kidding about the sound coming out of that small package :wow:

I have now have some serious gas :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  6. Kyle76

Kyle76 Senior Member

Hello Music has the THR10 on sale for $249.

7. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

So that little THR-10X is really that good?I have not been able to try one and
    am looking for a FIZZ free small high gain practice amp for late night jams.
    right now i use a fender super champ x2, and it is OK but want something a little more EVH sounding. and no FIZZ in the gain

1 person likes this.
  8. Lollingsgrad

Lollingsgrad Junior Member

9. Blisster

Blisster Junior Member

Hey all, just picked up a THR10 and am in love with it!

I'm wondering if anyone has tracked down the plans for the Ext. speaker jack mod? I really want to build a little 1x12 extension cab for this but am not so comfortable with blindly modding the unit. Any links or help would be much appreciated!

2 people like this.
  10. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

Here is my THR10 using a Zoom Q4 to record it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5O7dRSpapo]ZOOM Q4 Test2 - YouTube[/ame]

I'll do another recording of the THR10 and THR10X in stereo, or wet/dry, or what ever running both amps with an ABY pedal is called.

2 people like this.
  11. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Mark, that sounds badass, great playing, keep up the good work :dude:
    My new computer should be here tomorrow:fingersx:, time to get busy on Soundcloud again :thumb:

Can't wait to hear those in stereo :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  12. LPCollector

Thanks Joe, but compared to you guy's, I'm just a hack. :wave:

I was wondering why I hadn't seen any Soundcloud activity from you.

My hopes with that demo was to give those whom can't test a THR10 first, a good idea of what to expect.

1 person likes this.
  13. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Hack :laugh2: that's a good one, quit it :laugh2:

It was just such a pain in the ass to do anything with the old computer, it just doesn't work right, the new one is here as soon as I get it dialed in will be back in business :)

I kinda have the same idea for a demo, take it from clean to mean, this little thing is just full of secrets :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  14. LPCollector

Great idea for a demo! :thumb:

I am looking forward to it, as you and I use different setting for clean tones. (I use the Bass setting)
    It will be neat to compare! :dude:

15. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

First post with the new putor, yay :applause:
    Now to get everything loaded into it :shock:

I use the bass setting too :thumb:, but I've recently discovered the flat channel works good for clean also (not as much break up), like I said this thing is just full of secrets :naughty:

How are you coming along on the stereo recording of both, looking forward to that one :dude:

1 person likes this.
  16. LPCollector

Congrats on the new 'puter! :dude:
    Frankly, everyone tells me that Cubase 7 can easily do this......but, I have found them wrong, to date. The software would do it, but the Yamaha drivers for the THR10 and THR10X have no differentiation between them.
    So, when recording you only get one side or the other, not both.

So, I buy this Zoom Q4 video camera than leaves ALOT to be desired for a video camera save one thing, the audio quality is the best in the business for cameras under $1000.

Here is my Bray modded Marshal 1987X with the THR10 as it's slave. (running clean with effects and ABY'd)
    I chose the song as a joke, due to the forum that I made this for uses Night Train by G-n-R as the same kind of joke as playing Stairway to Heaven in a guitar store. :laugh2:

It was only my second test recording with the Zoom Q4, so it leaves a lot to be desired.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txfv9sY2Zs8]Test of Zoom Q4 - YouTube[/ame]

I will record the two (THR10 and THR10X) in stereo with the Zoom when I get home. (I'm on a 4 day business trip)

2 people like this.
  17. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

The THR10 clip sounded great until i listened to this:D
    Man if they could get this tone from a small practice amp:wow:

2 people like this.
  18. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

That sounded great, that camera mic works good, I like the idea of the (real world sound), it gives you a good idea of what the amp actually sounds like vs running it strait into the computer, although strait into the computer sounds great too.

Killer rig you got there :dude:

Hurry home :wave:

1 person likes this.
  19. hrfdez

hrfdez Senior Member

I love these amps. I'm not into modulation amps as I am a tube amp nut job, lol....Having said that, I own a THR10 and THR10C. They just a very nice little amp, specially when going on vacations or when the wife says ENOUGH! Lol.....

2 people like this.
  20. nm4

nm4 Senior Member

After this thread and these clips, exactly how is one supposed to resist purchasing a a THR10? I know I couldn't...just caved and bought the original THR10. Why am I already lusting after a 10C and 10X lol?

Cheers,
    NM

2 people like this.