Yamaha taking over?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Wazrun, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

^ LOL cancel my last post....

I just dropped in to Guitar Center and they had the THR10 for $199 plus tax. It's a 'Guitar-a-thon' deal so should be on sale nationwide according to the salesman. Their website says otherwise, but I've got mine sitting here....

If you get one as a result of this price alert, please post!

2 people like this.
  2. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

You scored! That's a great price for the THR10.

What GC store location in LA had it?

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

Redondo Beach, on Artesia

All I need now is someone to point me to a library of preset files that you guys have spent three years perfecting....

EDIT: after three hours of playing I'd like to report that this amp is every bit as good as I'd heard. I was on the fence whether to get the 10 or the 10c, as I like blues-like tones. 3 out of the 5 amps on the 10 deliver blues like tones and the other two are great fun to play with on top of that. Really glad I walked into GC today.

4. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

There are probably lots of presets available. As I recollect, they're not interchangeable between different THR10 model variations. If you find a workaround post it!

5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Dang $199 is a great price. That's what they sell the used ones for. I took a $100 loss replacing my THR which I never should have traded for the X.

There's a lot more presets for the THR on this site, but there are a couple for the other models, at least I know the X has one or two.

But, definitely get that little sucker hooked up to a computer and edit your own presets, mess around with the noise gate, the additional effects, etc. You can do so much more with them, plugged into your laptop. And they record quite well USB also.

.: Guitar effect patches for Yamaha THR10 :.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

Been playing around with it and I'm a bit confused about a few things:
    1. Patches stored in the box appear in the visual part of the editor if selected, but seem to have a random name, and arent in the Library listing automatically
    2. There is no easy way to globally edit settings such as effects type and level to rapidly generate patches - you have to do them one by one
    3. There is no easy way to move patches around without laboriously saving each one in its new slot

I wish the library file could be edited in a text editor, that would make it so much easier to try stuff out

I'm finding it easiest to play a default preset that should be close to what I want, tweak it with the controls on the box, and then store it in one of the 5 buttons, but I still then have to save it somewhere in the editor library else it might be easily lost.

Also, whats up with the huge level change among cabs? Brit 2x12 sound awesome, and the American cabs are faint by comparison

7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I just got to have something that looks like an amp, as I know them.Looks like a food processor to me, but what do I know, could be the next big thing. Lots of folks seem to be getting smaller and smaller til them carry'em in their pocket I guess.

8. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Yeah I agree, but that's the case also on most of amps software. It's because they have top notch sound engineers, but probably not top notch software designers. Exact same problem on the Mustang seriers for example.
    But hey, there is far worse, Vox for example don't even have a USB plug and does not allow the easy transfer of presets. They why imho their modeling amp will never at the top.
    If you want to address old grumpies, that's easy, a simple outdated tube design with just one knob so it's easy for them.
    If you want to address geeks, you need to have a top design software because they are used to that.

Yes, but as a lot of guys you are missing the point of the THR. It is just a practice tool at home, and it has some really nice feature. I suppose you never owned an amp that can run on batteries, I do, and believe me, it's very very cool to play in the garden, like you'd do with an acoustic.
    Of course, if all you do is playing in a band at deaf volume, it's not the THR scope at all. It's clearly advertised (and even named) against that.

Another cool thing for a practice amp, it has FRFR speakers. It means backing tracks sounds GREAT. With regular amps, it often sounds dark and muddy. Of course, if you play in a band at deaf volume, useless...but again, not the scope of the amp.

I often hope they make a drop in the price, or a new version with updated features (footswitch, more power) but maybe the Marshall code is gonna give them some competition, because up to now the THR10 was alone in its market.
    AmpliFI tried something but they epically failed.

9. GibsonKramer

You can not edit/save the original sound samples. It won't even let you save in that directory.

To save your newly created patches, you edit how you like... scroll down to the first clear "Init" (unless you want to write over their patches). Anyway... find the first empty one. Its like 044. Do a "Save As(A)." It will allow you to name it anything you want.

You can create 66 new tones, or up to 100, if you overwrite.

Here's the KEY!!!

Once you've got your own patches/edits created, you do a "File(F)", then "Save To Library(L)." At that point, you're going to save ALL those patches to a new library, in a new location. If your desktop isn't too cluttered, you could just put it there. Or save it to another directory.

Make sure you save the presets you want, to the 5 buttons on the amp, and you're good to go. Any time you want to use those presets you created, you plug in your amp, fire up the software... but it will load with factory presets. Just load up your personal file, and all your presets will be there. With whatever names you give them. You can even rename the factory ones, in your saved file.

Hope that makes sense. :thumb:

Oh and question #2 specifically... you can create several patches in your own personal Library that have your desired level and effect settings, overwrite the first few default settings... wipe out everything else. You can create as many Libraries as you want, you just can't save to the default directory and overwrite the default file.

2 people like this.
  10. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

Interesting; when I start mine up, open the editor, and press a preset button, the patch in there isnt a factory default, its what I saved in there before I turned the box off.

I'm also challenged in using the Save As (A) function. If I edit any patch and then select an empty slot it immediately comes up with a dialog box prompting me to save - I never get to press the A key. If I press the A key having edited a patch, nothign happens.

I'm running a V2 unit with the V100 editor released on 4/26/16.

11. GibsonKramer

A and Save As are the same thing. If you select "Save As," then press A.. you're going to most likely name everything "A."

When you plug in your amp and hit a preset button, yes... the THR software will change to reflect to whatever settings you saved on that preset. No matter which Library is loaded, or which patch you might have loaded. Whatever is programmed into the amp, will override the software, when you mess with it. Including the tone controls, effects, etc.

12. PreacherCruz

PreacherCruz Senior Member

I saw that too, there was a Yamaha Days sign. Thing is, it turned out to be limited to stock on hand.

I wanted a THR-10X and they only had the demo model for the sale price of $249. Ended up getting a local shop to give me a military and veteran deal with my VA ID and paid $267b out the door with tax.

1 person likes this.
  13. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Do some of you know if there is a chance we see new THR combos or head in 2016 ?
    I mean there's the 10, which is small and a bit old, and the 100w heads, which are a bit extrem...

Marshall and Vox are releasing new amps currently, probably better competitors for the thr amps, so do you think there's a chance Yamaha release something new ?

I could buy a thr but I don't want to buy one and see 2 months after a new one released. Especially since I'd like to see some evolutions (presets, footswitch, more power etc..)

14. skysc

skysc Senior Member

tried the metal version of these yamaha .. plain horrible ... put it back in the box and got refund .

speaker matters ... no matter how loud you play . i play at whsiper quiet in my bedroom , and everything sounded good through a 4x12 even if i wasnt pushing it .

id take a 1 watt amp with a 12 inch before any 10 watt with 4 inch .. 8 inch or whatever .

15. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

The feedbacks for the non regular version are often more mixed than the regular thr10.
    Maybe metal chugchug is specific but usually the thr feedbacks are very good.

16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Just an example of how different people hear different things. That said, I think you have to spend some time with any amp to bond with it, and some people just don't always find what they thought they would...

1 person likes this.