Yamaha SBG 2000 Sunburst - What is this beast?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SoCal Flood, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

A good buddy of mine has this sweet guitar and is looking to sell it. I'm doing some research for him slightly selfishly as I'm tempted to buy it myself. It's just a beauty and in pretty good condition (a few dents and signs of play wear). It comes with the original case which is in great shape.

Figured I'd reach out to you good folks and ask if anyone has any experience with these? Things ya like or things ya don't? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

Based on the serial# I think it's an '82... happens to be my birth year. Damn it, another reason i want it. Found that info here for inquiring minds: https://www.yamaha.com/yamahaguitars/ElectricandBassGuitarSerialNumberSystems.pdf

And here she is...

(sorry for the blurry images)
    IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8925.JPG IMG_8941.JPG IMG_8940.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    wildhawk1, JDZ, danohat and 2 others like this.
  2. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

If that weighs 10lbs, ponder it for a bit. 9.5lbs ask yourself hmmm can I swing another guitar purchase? 9lbs, how far is the nearest atm? Less than 9lbs BUY IT!!!!!!!

I’ll let others assist you with a more informed opinion than I have.

3. mdittman

mdittman Junior Member

Like warmachine said it is a heavy beast but one of the best non-Gibsons I've ever played. Until recently I had an '84 which I assumed would be with me till I died (it was that good) but I was forced to include it in a trade I couldn't refuse (a real '59 es-355). I will be looking for another one in the near future. They have more sustain than any guitar I've ever played and an action as good as any. Just be prepared for a guitar as heavy or heavier than any Norlin. Great sounding pickups too.

4. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Just buy it! Its a very good guitar!

5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have the 2100. If you like the neck and everything works (especially the truss rod), then buy it.

Here's mine.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SoCal Flood

Thanks, I’ll make sure to check the truss rod out. Yours is a stunner. Looks awesome in that cherry burst color!

7. SoCal Flood

@Rocco Crocco Out of curiosity what was the difference between the 2000 and 2100?

Looks like you may have swapped pickups. I was also wondering how the stock pickups are.

8. Rocco Crocco

I am not sure of the differences. I bought mine used a few years back and it came with the Duncan pickups already installed. I think I read that the original Spinex pickups were pretty well regarded.

9. Rocco Crocco

Ahhh I found this article...

In ’85, significant changes to the American line (at least) took place. The venerable SBG-2000 became the SBG-2100. Basically, the 2100 was identical except for having the new Spinex pickups and the new thinner bridge, still with coil taps. Available in black, burgundy, and orange sunburst.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1979/yamaha-sg/

10. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I love those. Ultra cool.

11. JDZ

JDZ Senior Member

These are great guitars.

SBG 2000 is the US version of the SG 2000. Yamaha added the 'B' in SBG only to US models to avoid trademark problems with Gibson.

These were introduced in 1976, with the 2000 as the top of the line model. Yamaha worked with Carlos Santana in designing this model. One of the things he requested, is a brass sustain block which is mounted in the body under the bridge. The guitars have a through-neck design - neck is three piece and runs down through the entire length of the body.

Fretboard is ebony with mother of pearl inlays. Tuners on these are super smooth with adjustable tension. Another cool feature is three point mounting of the pickups - you can see three screws for pickup height adjustment. Two on one side allows you to tilt the pickup so you can keep it parallel to the strings.

Oh, and yes these guitars scream - great playing guitars, really well made and loads of sustain.

I have two SG's, one I just picked up is an 81 SG 2000 DP, the DP being Deep Purple which is the color of the guitar. Only 600 of these were made for the Japanese market. Haven't taken pics yet, but here is one from when it was listed for sale in Japan.

SG 2000DP.jpg

12. danohat

danohat Senior Member

That is awesome!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

They're awesome. If it wasn't so heavy, I would have kept a Yamaha SG700 I used to own. JDZ's purple model is one whose pics I have drooled over for more than a decade. The one in OP looks to be one of the neck-through models. Might also have the brass sustain plate? And yes, the Spinex pups are highly regarded.

14. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Found a pic of the one I used to own.
    [​IMG]

16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I've always lusted after one of these.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  17. JDZ

JDZ Senior Member

Pickups are very good in these guitars. Spinex are the best ones, only came in certain models. They were introduced with the SG3000, but added to some other models later on.

I haven't had a chance to pull pickups on my SG 2000 which is usually first thing I check. 2000 Did not come with Spinex, but there may be a 2000 specific pickup as opposed to a general SG pickup - won't know until I pull them. When I have a chance to check will post an update.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  18. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

nice guitar

'82 sounds about right, SBG's came out around 1980 and were in production for only 3 or 4 years then replaced by the SBG2100. yours has the older SG (prior to SGB ) tuners that were still being used into the first couple of years they made the SBG.

these are really good guitars

SoCal Flood likes this.