Yamaha Revstar Line

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by FrenchConnection, Dec 15, 2015.

1. endial

endial Senior Member

Funny you should mention that. I also tried one out at my local GC, like, yesterday, and in the same visit played a rather comparable 60's Tribute. I REALLY liked the RS502T. A very nice, rich green that reminded me of British Racing Green (there are two greens that it comes in, yours must have been the darker of the two). I was taken by surprise, too, when I looked at the back of the headstock and saw "Indonesia". I nodded with respect, believe it or not.

On the other hand, the Gibson I played was pretty awesome sounding too. Played beautifully, and the neck was damn near perfect. So much so, that the typical "kinda-high" action that most Gibson's ship with was almost unnoticeable. That damn guitar was sweet. The Bad? The fret ends were as sharp as a knife. Damn near felt like they hadn't been touched at the factory. Broke my heart. Regardless of all this, I give kudos to both parties.
    For one, a new found respect for Indonesian made guitars, and for Yamaha for seeing it through, so to speak.
    And for another to Gibson, for, aside from the one flaw that really brought the bummer, being able to put out a guitar, made in the U.S.A., that is as sweet as it is for a mere $899 retail. I can now see why there are so many Tribute NGD's here. I might just have to get one. That's a difference of only $170 to the Yamaha. -That's made in Indonesia. Sweet though it was.

2. voggin

voggin Senior Member

You know, there are lots of reasons for fret sprout, from shipping/truck temperatures to long distance climate changes. I'd tell the guys at that store that the guitar is ok, but with a full set up and fret filing, you'd consider buying it. Any good store should have someone on staff who could take care of the fret issue, and get a free nut file/set up as well.

3. endial

endial Senior Member

Thanks voggin. Fully aware of that, and for what it's worth, it was more of an observation than anything else and I wouldn't let anything that trivial (in my eyes) stop me from buying. Matter of fact, my LPJ suffered the same malady as the Tribute in question here. Though not as pronounced as this one, it didn't hinder my other positive thoughts on it, and I wouldn't hesitate at all on this one either. Both are/were from the same store, so it is likely your theory is perfectly sound.

-I guess what "broke my heart" about it was noting that Gibson had, well, just kinda slipped, just a bit, on an otherwise work of art. I think I'd rather have seen a flaw in the finish!

4. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

The 502 does have the dry switch as well, but it really doesn't make as great an impact as it does on it's HB equipped brethren...

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

OK, so it's been ages since I got this thing, and I have to admit that it is pretty much my favourite guitar. It's just so easy to play, and it makes me sound better than I am; straight up.

The only mods I've done to it are swapping out the p'up covers for some aged cream ones, and using some black pickguard mounting screws, so purely cosmetic. Speaking of which, the odd flat finish is wearing in nicely with an interesting patina, making it look kinda vintage-y, which is what led me to the aged p'up covers in the first place, and it looks fantastic!

Yamaha hit it out of the park with this thing, and they are WAY better than the three-figure price tag would suggest.

Go buy one already!!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. endial

endial Senior Member

Excellent follow-up. Thanks.

These will always be on my short list (502 especially).
    Sadly, for the time being not likely as I just acquired a couple used Gibsons and shot my wad for probably the year.

Hey Trucker- how 'bout a pic of that fella with the wear? I'm really curious to see how that finish looks after awhile. It sounds kinda like what I would have expected.

7. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I'll do some pics later today when I get a minute.

The wear is like shiny spots...

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Geehosofat! Necro-bumping after picking up a stock yellow RS320. Dang! This a sweet guitar! I bought it before playing one, and I’m quite pleased. Flawless finish, hardware is fine, great neck, lightweight, ergonomic, excellent upper fret access, omg, I’m gushing. The ceramic pups are good enough to RAWK out with. However, I will likely be in touch with Craig Vineham for a killer bridge pup and will replace the neck with an excellent Alnico V pup I’ve had sitting in a drawer for years.
    Posting here in the event my lazy ass won’t get around to post a proper NGD thread.

S_G_D and endial like this.