Yamaha Revstar Line

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by FrenchConnection, Dec 15, 2015.

1. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Wish someone would do a review of the 502 series and hardware/electronics.

I might be willing to sell my 2012 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro and replace it with one of those 502 models. However, since I almost never play my electric, I think I may sell the LPSPTP and save money for a USA made PRS. But I do like the looks of the 502 enough to buy it instead of a PRS depending on how I like playing it.

1 person likes this.
  2. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

Man, I wish I would have never seen this thread. These are pretty sweet. I've been on the lookout for a p90 guitar for a while and this looks like a great option. The price is great too!

1 person likes this.
  3. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Well, they are popping up in stores. My local got one of each model, in each color offered, so I could see & play them all. Even though I was specifically shopping for a P90/wraparound guitar, I almost went with the 620.

I gotta recommend playing them first if at all possible, because it would be rotten to sell a guitar you like for an unknown, which turns out to be a bummer. Jstarr didn't like his...

But I love mine!! :thumb:

4. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Do you think the yellow plays better than the green? I will definitely play them before buying. I just want two guitars eventually:

Acoustic: Rainsong Blackbird WS model (carbon fiber)
    Electric: XOX Handle or a USA made PRS of some sort

hahahaaha

2 people like this.
  5. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

I love those Rainsongs... Buddys brother has one. I really enjoy the "even" frequency response. I also found that the low E doesn't flub out no matter how hard you strum. As a disclaimer, I haven't played much with high end traditional acoustics. I assume you get the same result.

1 person likes this.
  6. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Carbon Fiber acoustics are no match for wood. They ring true every time because they don't absorb sound, nor do they move, so your sustain is also better. With carbon fiber, you are actually hearing the vibrations, not the wood types. On the other hand, some people like a guitar for how the wood soaks up specific vibrations, and do not like the pure sound of carbon fiber.

1 person likes this.
  7. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I played a few of the revstars yesterday. They are solid guitars in every way. Beautiful actions, decent pickups, stayed in tune when I was bouncing the tailpiece around like an old pickup on a dirt road and the electronics were decent. The p-90's didn't really wow me, but the humbucker a were great. I don't know what it was about them that didn't fit me, but I don't think I will be buying one. They sure to look cool though.

PS,
    I played the 502t, 620 and 820cr. They had the 502t listed at $1200, which was weird. They didn't seem to concerned that it was the wrong price after I brought it up. LOL

3 people like this.
  8. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I`ve never been let down by a Yamaha guitar. I may have to check these out when money allows.

3 people like this.
  9. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

Got my new 620 today - I had tried one in the dealer's a few weeks ago. I am still very impressed with fit and finish, the tones, the weight and balance on the strap. It's a gigging guitar alright, so will be putting it through its paces next week....

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  10. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

I'm digging the look of these. Essentially a newer thinner Superflighter.

1 person likes this.
  11. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Can you get the 502 with Humbuckers, instead of P90s?

12. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

Don't think so...

13. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

After going back over reviews and looking at the Yamaha site for specs, I'm excited about the 502 model. I have to play one, first, but it has what I like, very utilitarian and functional, and I love the way the belly cut it and also top sculpted it where your picking arm comes over the back of the guitar. It's carved back a little so you don't get that edge on your arm digging in. That's brilliant.

If it plays well, I think for the price I'd rather have the 502 than an American made PRS.

Do you think the 50T with the floating/semi-floating tail piece is worth the extra $100? Is it actually bolted to the guitar top? How does it work?

I think I like the look of the 502 better becasue I don't care for the plastic, cream colored P90s and pick guard on the T series.

14. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

It was a tough call between the 620 and 502; for me the dry switch option makes the 602 better for me as a gigging guitar as you get classic humbuckers plus a bit of twang when the dry switch is engaged. If I ever buy another revstar it will definitely be the 502.

15. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Yep, if you want P90s, you go for the 502. It's a little strange how they did this line, as in, buy the xxx, get Humbs, and no other options. Buy the xxx and get P90s, no other options. I REALLY like the Modern player Telecaster, but I can't stand the DFB radius. Even so, the RS line is even more sleek and utilitarian looking than the telecasters are. I would have liked the RS line to be "string through body." That would have COMPLETELY sealed the deal for me. But sealed it pretty much is anyway.

I really like the Revstar line becsaue it appeals to me like the Fender Telecaster appeals to me, very stripped down, utilitarian type, clean, simplistic guitar. However, I cannot stand the fretboard radius of the telecaster. Too much curve for me.

16. Playyouraxeon11

Playyouraxeon11 Banned

I've seen 'em, look good. Yamaha is always good but not "sexy", this time they seem to have cracked the aesthetics, everyone likes the look. I don't need another guitar though and if I did, I'd be looking at the new lower priced Fano range. Me, I wish Yamaha would bring back the SG2000.

17. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I totally agree with you on the 502 over the 502T aesthetics. That funky tailpiece killed it for me. I'm a wraparound guy, so the 502 fit the bill perfectly!

It's been several months now, and I still LOVE this guitar :)

northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Yeah good to hear that it's still working properly. That tailpiece is fugly now that I think about it. It looks like they designed it as an after thought. It could have been so much more elegant. It's overpowering.

Like I said above, I really like the Fender Modern Telecaster, but I went back to Guitar Center and looked at it about 6 months after it was put on the floor, and the knobs are twisting off, and generally looks like things are falling apart on it--plus the radius I don't like.

The 502 is even more sleek than the Telecasters, to my eye anyway. Also strange is why they limited the 502 to the matte finish and the lower level models get that nice glossy finish. I'll bet they did that to keep the 502 price as low as possible while upgrading the electronics. I have no problem with the finish though. The only thing that I don't like that seems to be the case in pictures, is the wood grain shows through the matte finish, which kinda defeats a matte finish in the first place, to me. But the 800.00 Gibson Les Paul's--the stropped down versions made in the USA, are like that too.

19. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

They're just matte on the top, and a proper gloss finish on the rest of the guitar.

I was looking at it as already partially prepped to have the top refinished. I haven't decided what finish I'll go with, but silver-flake, goldtop, & cherry dye are all in consideration...

20. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just played one of these at Guitar Center yesterday (RS 502T with funky tailpiece) and it played and sounded great. I am fighting my internal cork sniffer with the "made in Indonesia" aspect, but I really liked the guitar. The P90's sound great, and are hot enough for the hard rock style that I like to play. Like a moron, I forgot it had the "dry switch" so I didn't try it, but the guitar sounded great all by itself. The one real disappointment is that I really liked the olive green color in the original pics of this model, and the guitar in the store looked black to my eyes. It was only when I got home and started looking up more recent pics that I realized the guitar I played WAS the green one. They really blew the color, but I suppose my opinion does not reflect the majority.

It was day of pleasant surprises - previous to this guitar, I tried a Classic Player Jazzmaster and loved the sound. Jazzmaster purists seem to hate this guitar with it's TOM bridge and P90ish pickups, but it sounded great to my ears.

I played both guitars through a Fender Bluesbreaker 15 1x12 combo, and it sounded great as well. I have all but sworn off 1x12 anything, and this little amp really surprised me. It sounded fantastic through the Stock Celestion V-Type speaker, although I preferred the tone with the bright switch on all time. Seriously, this was ghost fun I have managed to have at my local (damn near empty) Guitar Center in a long time.