Yamaha Revstar Line

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by FrenchConnection, Dec 15, 2015.

1. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I know you're right!!

Such value, I feel like a thief every time I buy one. I'm seriously trying to stifle the urge to get more than one! I'm lookin at the 502 in shop black, 620 in burnt charcoal, and 420 in fire red. All awesome.

I want either the 502 or 620, along with the 420 which cures my SG urge.

Also: If anyone finds a suitable hard case solution for these guitars, please share the info!

1 person likes this.
  2. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

I played a couple of these yesterday unplugged. I believe it was 2 different model tiers, both Indonesian models. One was $800, had a nice semi chunky neck, felt pretty great and also quite substantial.

Then also picked up and strummed the next higher model, it had dual pinstripes down the center, also an Indonesian one, priced $999. Much lighter and felt like better quality overall, probably just the wood on that one.
    Felt great and played great. Id love to own one of these, but Ill hold out for a used MIJ model. $999 for an Indonesian guitar just isn't happening for me.

3. StonedCrow

StonedCrow Senior Member

If you are looking for a fitted case for them I can't help you, I don't even think Yamaha have released them yet or are making any, however every model of the Revstar except the RS720, the one with a Bigsby will easily fit into the Gator Lightweight 'Fit All' Electric Guitar Case - this is a foam soft hard case, the Gator Deluxe Fit All Hardcase, the Gator Deluxe Extra Long 'Fit All' Electric Guitar Case, and the SKB iSeries Injection Moulded Open Cavity Electric Guitar Flight Case.

I've actually seen the RS320, RS420, RS502, RS502T, RS620, and RS820 fitted into the above hardcases, the Gator case seems to be the most popular one from what I have seen, but it is also the cheapest hardcase, it sells for under £50.00 in the U.K, and the SKB iSeries Injection Moulded Open Cavity Electric Guitar Flight Case is the best, but it is the most expensive at £200.00 in the U.K. The Gator Lightweight 'Fit All' Electric Guitar Case is one of those 'hardcases' that are made of foam and covered in tough fabric, so they don't offer as much protection as a traditional hardcase, but more protection than a soft case.

From what I have seen Yamaha's new Revstar series have been very popular, and it's easy to see why, they are really good guitars and no matter which price point you look at, you get a lot of guitar for the money.

1 person likes this.
  4. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Well, I got mine today, and it's amazing. Straight up. Can't believe the price point on these guitars.

I opted for the RS502 in shop black, like the one posted above. Fit & finish are flawless, tones are sublime. The dry-switch had a bit of a situation, but I opened the control plate, and a wire was touching a cap, so it was easily put right, easier than bringing it back for another.

The fingerboard has VERY tight grain, and looks & feels FANTASTIC! The jumbo frets are polished to perfection, and the fret ends are as smooth as a baby's bottom. The neck on this model is very slim, but still stiff enough for my ham-fists.

At our local shop, they gave me a Gator hard case instead of the gig-bag, for no extra! Great guys!!

If you happen to be considering, or sitting on the fence about one of these, I say take the plunge! I played several models, and they all delivered the goods!

My favourites are: of course the RS502, the RS420, and the RS620. The MIJ version was to die for, but it was also a pound heavier.

3 people like this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

^^^Lay some pics on us, bro!

2 people like this.
  6. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Having trouble uploading photos in the usual manner, for some reason. :(

I'll try again later...

2 people like this.
  7. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

OK, I got a few shots to upload, but I couldn't get the non-closeup shots to work, for some mysterious reason. Undoubtedly, pilot-error:)

Anyway, here's the shots for proof...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

And some more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

My RS420 was a dud. Sent it back to Sweetwater. Did a YouTube review...

1 person likes this.
  10. JackNorth2008

JackNorth2008 Senior Member

I'd be interested in seeing it. Could you post the link?

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  11. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

Nice review Jstarr. Very informative. Disappointed as a Yamaha fan. Your description of the neck profile sounds like something I'd like. Actually sounds like a Pacifica profile with a wider nut.

The Pot routing would be an inconvenience, everything else could easily changed (if desired).

Jstarr's Review
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PUVaSUZHwEo[/ame]

2 people like this.
  12. Garhel

Garhel Senior Member

I've had my 820 for about 3 weeks now, and it is a very impressive instrument. I needed a back up for my regular gigging PRS, as the Ibby I've been using just sounded too different if I needed a swap mid song or mid set if a string went. I was looking for a good core rock sound, but needed versatility and great cleans. We have a varied set list that has to cater for pubs, clubs and wedding, and I like a one guitar set-up if I can, so this guitar was about consistency, not to give a contrast to my main guitar. I had in mind a PRS S2, as logically that would seem to be an ideal fit. I spent a couple of hours in the store trying a couple of Revstars (an 820 and a green one with P90s and an old style tailpiece), an S2 custom 22, and a double humbucker Fender Tele (sorry don't know the model, but was about £1000 if that helps). I've got to say I could have walked out with any of them, they all played well, and sounded great, but the stand outs were the 820 and the S2. In my PRS I've changed out the pickups for BKP mules which are less hot than the HFS/VB ones it came with, and this was the clincher in the end - the Yamaha pickups were more "vintage" sounding, and the S2 just lacked that little bit of clarity I like. Still a superb guitar though.

I got the Yamaha on Saturday morning and gigged with it that night. At band volumes the pickups were great, and I was happy to have made the choice. Great tone, more like the LP sound I have in my head on stuff like Alright Now than I can make my 2012 LP do (to be fair, I'm still struggling with the Burstbuckers, I think I just need to accept they're not for me and find something that I'm happier with in there!), and with the pull switch engaged great for those funky clean tones, and with a bit of dirt for Sweet Home and even Pride and Joy. The band loved it, but I'm sure that was more because they think it looks cool than anything else!

Having lived with it a few weeks I am still in the honeymoon period, fit and finish is great, the satin top is less of a pain than I thought, and actually cleans up with a bit of spray polish, but does look grubby again really quickly after my sweaty fingers have touched it! It's a touch neck heavy, but nothing that causes a problem, and the neck can get a little sticky at the back end of a sweaty night!!

I just checked out the review above, but i didnt try out anything in the lower end of the range, so can't help with saying if that was a one-off, or the quality really does fall away as you get into the lower price brackets. The quality and playability of mine is excellent though, and compares very well to the more expensive guitars I have. Sort of related, I also have a Gretsch Electromatic, and the quality of finish and playability of that is also superb - I think Gretsch are doing great things at the moment, and I'd like to try out the new Streamliners ro see if they've carried this through the range.

Have fun...

3 people like this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

I have a few older Yamaha acoustics.....I've never owned a Yamaha electric. I have a thing for TV Yellow, school Bus yellow, Corvette yellow......etc. I think the color got to me at first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's heavy.....like heavy Les Paul heavy. Made in Indonesia. I wonder if it was made in the factory where Squiers are made. The rosewood on the fretboard is very pretty....almost striped. The set up from the factory is very nice; I'm not touching it The tuners are very nice. The pots are sturdy feeling; almost hard to turn. The pickups sound brown. When I switched from clean to overdrive it sounded Van Halen-ish. I was chuckling.

This is the least expensive Revstar. $399 and Kraft Keyboard & Sound threw in the case.

I wish the neck were slightly beefier. It's like a Gibson 60's neck. I'll get used to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The iPhone pictures aren't the best but the finish and fit is nice. Reminds me of a PRS SE guitar. Our next Gig is on the 23'rd. The SG will stay home and I'll bring the Yammi and a Strat. Looking forward to doing the Giggity with it.

Yellow! It's so yellow! Much cheaper than a Corvette.

6 people like this.
  14. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Would you choose an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro over the R420 (same price point)? And what about the 502 vs the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro ($100-150 more than the Epi).

15. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

Sorry, that is Jstarr's review. I should have made that clearer.

16. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

That's ok you can still answer if you want!

Also, I'm assuming that the Revstar line uses all Yamaha's pickups and hardware?

I also wanted to ask what the pots/electronics are like in the higher end models? Are they still tiny little dime pots?

And, what about:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/Revstar-RS502-Electric-Guitar.gc ($650.00)
    vs
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-PlusTop-Pro-Electric-Guitar.gc ($500.00-550.00)

17. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I'd take the Yamaha, certainly. Both great guitars, but it's a matter of opinion, and I prefer the Yamahas.

I appreciate Jstarr's review, but having played every model in our local shop, I didn't find any issues, apart from the cheap TOM bridges on the two lower end models, which were pretty much the same as on Gibson USA models, which I have no love for.

Step up a model, and you get a snazzy, satin-matte finished, adjustable wraparound, and mine doesn't bind at all. The nut slots could use a bit of graphite, like any factory guitar, but it certainly isn't a problem.

As far as the pickups go, I liked them all, which is purely a matter of taste, as mentioned in Jstarr's review. The P90s in my 502 are edgy, dirty, and loud, and when the dry circuit is engaged, I get a good Strat tone from the neck p'up. I also had no problem finding the "woman tone" with the 620, at least.

I should also point out that I usually have no trouble finding whatever tone I want, as I freely use all the knobs on all my amps:)

After having mine for a couple weeks now, I still feel it was a great buy, and I wouldn't mind having another, although now's not the time...

Most of all, try before you buy, or buy from somewhere with a no-hassle return policy.

5 people like this.
  18. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Do you also like the dime sized pots? Does the 500 series get different pots or hardware?

19. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

The pots in mine work fine, and I like them accordingly. I get smooth, even control across the board. It's not my first Yamaha, and I've never needed to change out any electronics in one.

Time will tell, though. Still in honeymoon period...

1 person likes this.
  20. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

see above about pots.

Yes, the 502 & up get another level of hardware, with a satin finish.

2 people like this.