Yamaha Guitars (and all other things Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by northernguitarguy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

I got it back! It appeared on eBay a week ago and the detectives acted immediately to recover it. The seller got it from a pawnshop, who got it from someone else, thats the way it goes.

Lessons learned:

• Take a photo of the serial number on each of your guitars!
    • If stolen, search Ebay and Craiglist for at least a month (pawnshops usually hold items for a month before resale)

12 people like this.
  2. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

Great news, well done.

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

That's great news! That beauty belongs with it's rightful owner. :dude:

4. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

..and today I recovered my Fender Strat from a pawnshop that bought it from the thief on the day of the burglary. So both the guitars taken in the burglary have now been recovered.

7 people like this.
  5. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Couldn't be happier for you Gryphon !!

1 person likes this.
  6. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

It's great you recovered them, you were very lucky to get them back.

1 person likes this.
  7. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

I need to ask you for some good lottery numbers for the weekend then, you has def got your mojo workin' :dude::lol::applause::applause::h5::thumbs:

1 person likes this.
  8. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

I don't think I've posted this before. Apologies if I have.

1967 Yamaha SG7

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. Epi rocks

Epi rocks Senior Member

OMG, I can't believe you've got one of these beauties!! :wow:
    My good buddy from way back in my high school years had one of these in Red and it was terrific. It had a very fast, slim neck and incredible action. A great player. He only picked it up for $100 back in '78.
    I ended up with an Ibanez Goldtop LP that same year.
    We were in our first band together. Great years!!

10. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

I had a red one, originally. My first ever electric, bought in a pawn shop for that kind of price, also in '78. It was stolen - along with everything else in the van - in the late eighties. My bass player bought me this one as a replacement. I can't imagine how he found it.

You're right about the action on these - so low and easy that actually I think it inhibited my development as lead player. There wasn't enough wrangle in it.

I saw a modded one of these sell on a Japanese site a couple of years ago for more than three grand. To be honest, I'd trade this one for my original red one, if ever I could. It's that 'first love' thing.

1 person likes this.
  11. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

2 people like this.
  12. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  13. QReuCk

QReuCk Senior Member

I have a black RGX110. That was yamaha's take in the 80's on an entry level frankenstrat. Very (very very) hot single humbucker pickup, but vintage tremolo to save costs. The neck is surprisingly good though (even my luthier called it "exceptional work for the price"). The alder body seems to be constituted of several layers rather than one piece, but it resonates pretty good.
    I bough it used circa 94 for a pretty low price tag with the intention of playing hard rock/metal. It had some dings, I had to change the nut, and frets will probably need some work very soon, but it played very well in this style of music.
    Still have it but wasn't playing it that much any longer cause the pickup, although pretty good at providing a metal tone, was not cutting it for classic rock, funk and blues, which I'm more interested in now. So that was mainly used only to check things up before a gig in order to have a ready to use backup for my other guitar...
    I Just threw in a phat cat, and it just became a useable tonal option when I need something different than typicall LP tone... even with the badly worn frets, it just feels so right.

1 person likes this.
  14. S_G_D

S_G_D Senior Member

Nice to know it sounds good. I have a bucker sized p90 being wound for my pac 612v that should be ready next week. Now I really cant wait to get it.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

1 person likes this.
  15. QReuCk

QReuCk Senior Member

Want to hear it plugged to a Tech21 Trademark120? I used it for a quick review of the TM, along with another guitar.
    Go to 0:50 (or not, if you want to hear the Greg Bennett as well).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzolfbCJHA"]Review du Tech21 Trademark 120 - YouTube[/ame]
    Keep in mind the RGX 110 has a 500K volume pot and no tone pot, so it is brighter than your guitar will be (I tame it a bit with amp's tonestack, but still).

1 person likes this.
  16. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

1 person likes this.
  17. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

2 people like this.
  18. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

Raining hard here today, so a pic for you. After discovering that it was unlikely that I would be unable to source some original Spinex

PUPs I set about trying to restore the 3000 as close as I could.

I have retained the hot 16k Duncan in the Bridge and settled for a Pearly Gates in the neck. Sweet as...

Next I eventually managed to get some Nickel Silver, Black coated PUP covers. I had a hard time in the Uk to find any that would match the Duncans' spacing, eventually got them from New York State.

Then some gold escutcheons, again a bit of work to widen the internal width a bit, but they seem to have done the trick. The only real give away is that the original PUPs and escutcheons would have had 3 screws (see circled) but that will have to do.

Also canniblised some gold knobs and used the metal with black text centers to replace the worn out centers in the Yam knobs so as to retain their characteristics. Crap picture, I'll do some more later. I have had the back and sides refinished and it's a blinding job. More later on that.

Also I picked out the lettering on the pick guard with some gold paint.

[​IMG]
    Bye bye.

3 people like this.
  19. sctrotts

sctrotts Junior Member

I've owned to RGX's (80's) a 310 and a 612 (wished I'd have kept them) but still have this - and it's still a wonderful axe...a 350SE H model in pearl white.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. MaceRider

MaceRider Senior Member

Some of you folks may have seen this already, but since it's a Yamaha thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.