XITONE Group Buy Discussion

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 5, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Great. What's your configuration?

2. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I went with the Active 112 Xitone wedge. All Black.

Since I have the powered Kemper, I`ll turn off the onboard power and use either the Monitor output or XLR. I did this for flexibility..... in that at some point I`d like to try the powered Kemper with just a guitar cab... like a ZW Black Label EV loaded Theile cab. And gawd forbid I may 1 day pop for a AX8 when the used prices drop some, that I am sure will pair up sweet with the Active Xitone. ;p Call me crazy.

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

So you took the additional $75 discount for no powder coat or grill etching... very good.

4. frankv

Been in contact with Mick today getting the details worked out on my cab. Here is what I am having etched onto the grill of my cabinet. It will be the outline of my EBMM Majesty (You didn't think it would be a Les Paul now did you hahahahha) . You guys really should take advantage to the benefits of this group buy and get the etching on your cab rather then taking a discount. It will mean something special to you long after that $75 is spent.

[​IMG]

Imagine how cool a Les Paul outline would look too?

5. XiToneCabs

XiToneCabs Junior Member

hhhhmmm, something along these lines maybe????

[​IMG]

6. frankv

Yes, but only outline the pickups and put dots in for the pole pieces.

7. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Hi Mick. It's great to have you here, so welcome aboard. Thank you for doing this group offer. I have a few questions in the spirit of learning (not trying to be snarky, so if it comes across that way, please don't take it as such).

I am very new to modelling and to PA systems. I mostly played acoustic guitar until a couple of years ago.

How does the XiTone differ and what advantages does it have? I can see that your cabs are obviously rugged, yet portable.

While I think Frank's word and recommendation are valuable and I appreciate his expertise and input, I'd still love to hear what differentiates a XiTone (in my case an active 1x12) from the other cabs I was considering.

I'm looking for something that will be portable enough to take to a jam and I don't anticipate playing gigs anytime soon. I would likely be jamming semi-regularly with friends, which is why portability is a big plus for me.

My list consisted of the following:

Line 6 L2M - this would be part of the Line 6 family with my Helix, but apart from that I am not sure what benefit it would bring. I could rent one to try it out, too.

Yorkville E10P - made right here in the Toronto area and seems to be high quality and durable. They have that ozite carpet covering, which could get grungy over time, but they do make a smooth version that could work. Also probably available to rent.

Yorkville YX10P
    - a budget choice from Yorkville, made overseas. Able to rent.

Alto TS210 - another more budget choice, but it does get decent reviews on many of the forums for a grab'n'go with a modeller. It is the lightest of the options on this list, which is a plus for portability.

8. XiToneCabs

XiToneCabs Junior Member

Easier said that done sadly... remember that this artwork is going on a grille filled with holes.... just having pole pieces would not likely work in that regard whereas the solid pickups will do a lot better. :)

9. frankv

I forgot all about that carry on thank you brother

10. XiToneCabs

XiToneCabs Junior Member

Hey jtdo and Thank you for the kind welcome!

Your question is very valid and I'll do my best to answer completely.

My cabs are designed from the very beginning to be used by a guitarist. To that end I take into account a lot of variables that other manufactures may not as they are designing more for vocalists or general PA type goals.

I have folks tell me all the time that my cabs 'feel' more like guitar cabs than any other cabs they have tried and I believe that mine have been compared to all my competitors in the guitar FRFR space.

First off, my enclosures are sealed. As such they have a bit of punch in them that most other cabs do not have. A speaker cone moves in two directions... in and out... in a sealed enclosure the out direction creates a bit of negative pressure in the enclosure, helping to pull the cone back in and in the in direction the cone creates a bit of positive pressure helping to push the cone back out... a constant tug of war if you will...

This makes the driver a little faster in some regards and contributes to a little bit punchier of a cab that has quicker transients.

The ruggedness of the enclosure also contributes to this. By making the enclosure as strong as I can it absorbs less of the mechanical energy of the driver thus making the driver work better.... well, technically the driver will work the same in all enclosures, even crappy ones, but in solidly built enclosures more of that work is turned into audible sound rather than being absorbed by the enclosure.

Second, with the actives in particular, I use an active crossover. By doing this I can shift the crossover points of the individual components to get more out of the 12" driver higher up in frequency... well above what the tweeter would normally be doing. By shifting that around I try to maximize the 12" as much as possible so that in essence, I am try to emulate a guitar cab as no guitar cabs have tweeters. The tweeter is still there and contributing for sure but I try to reduce its role as much as I can.

With my active cabs I also provide three different operating modes... Mode 1 is FRFR. This mode is what most folks will use. Mode 2 is FRFR but with the 12" only. This mode is for guys making the transition to FRFR from guitar cabs. A lot of folks just can't gel with a tweeter in the mix but they still want FRFR so that they can get the most out of the different IR's out there. Mode 3 is the 12" raw. This mode will allow you to use the cab without IR's at all... closer to being a regular guitar cab this way.

I can't really speak to the Line6, Yorkville or Alto stuff as I have never heard them but for the Yorkville and Alto stuff specifically, I highly doubt that they design for guitar guys.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mick

11. XiToneCabs

XiToneCabs Junior Member

You are most welcome. It helps to think about the grille as a low resolution photograph... not the best place to get a lot of detail going on. :)

12. jdto

:applause:

Great stuff. Thank you very much for the reply and the detail. I was already convinced, but this just reinforces my choice. Now to figure out what design I want.

13. XiToneCabs

XiToneCabs Junior Member

Choices Choices Choices!!! :)

14. jdto

All set. I got an active 112 with a custom etched grill.

15. frankv

Spill. What are you getting on your grill?

16. jdto

Caution, Guitar Player!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Me likes

Wonder if he could etch the logos of bunch of brands (since, you know you can do all those amps and cabs).

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

IF I didn't already have my Xitone 2x12 and CLR I would get one of these as an etching, or as close as he could do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. frankv

^^^^^Now you guys are talking.. .

20. jdto

I went for the Caution sign in part because, when people hear my playing, they'll need to protect their ears :laugh2: