X-MAS PARTY 2017- the end of an era

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by SGeoff, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

I feel kinda lucky. My place of work is very, deliberately, old fashioned. On the last working day before Christmas break, at noon, in one of our conference areas, we have an all staff meeting where we are told how great we all are, how great the company is, and how we’re all going to have to work that little bit harder next year.

Then a buffet is put on that always has chefs slicing freshly cooked hams, and trays of cold turkey, chicken, salads and bread/rolls. It’s all prepared in house. There is an open bar for for beer, average quality wine and sparkling. Then a dessert buffet of some decent small cakes or pastries, fruit, and usually some brand name ice creams.

It is the same every year. Probably very cost effective, but nevertheless a consistently nice gesture. I’m allowed to bring my children, who love the idea of an all you can eat buffet, ice cream and endless soft drink. They leave with the impression every year that my boss is the best and my work is THE place to be at Christmas.

It’s all a bit folksy, but it is sincere in a frugal kind of a way. That is one of the nice things about old fashioned versus having to be driven by the modern day MBAs.

Cheers

JohnnyN likes this.
  2. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

I've never worked anywhere that had an official party of any kind. Be that as it may, some of the off the books parties that we threw anyway were a hell of a lot of fun.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    SteveGangi and Roberteaux like this.
  3. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

"The Choirboys" :D

--R :thumb:

SteveGangi, electric head and Caleb like this.
  4. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

It's truly incredible how much of the stuff in The Choirboys rings true today, over forty years later. :run:

Roberteaux likes this.
  5. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

One of my favorite exchanges in the book between some higher up and his house-mouse gofer, and forgive the less than exact quotes:

"Sir, about the killing in MacArthur Park..."

"Goddamnit, don't call it a killing!"

"Yessir, about the orgy in MacArthur Park..."

"Do NOT call it an orgy!"

"No sir, per the choir practice in MacArthur Park...."

"Jesus H, definitely don't call it a choir practice!!!"

:laugh2:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Company Xmas party without M&M is going to fall a bit short.

Who else is going to Xerox their junk and fax it to every customer?

7. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Our summer party has kind of followed the same pattern. It used to be that everybody would go to a park at noon for a picnic. There was a bar. We had to pay for alcohol, but it was super cheap there. Like $7 for a 32oz beer.

This year, it was at a different park that doesn't have a bar. People definitely didn't stay as long.

8. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

I know that feeling. Our company went to “pay our own way” parties many years ago. To be fair, claim that they subsidize them, and I believe that they do, but still, I’ve never paid to go. Fuck that.

9. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Fucking NOBODY, that's who.
    I'll be at sea, but we tend to knock off a little early, like maybe around 1500, and there's more food than a crew 4x our size could eat, if they showed up hungry and took the whole damn day.
    It's a big damn waste, imo. We're still eating leftovers from Thanksgiving, in soups, casseroles, curries, etc...
    It pisses me off. We could have made two weeks of great meals, if this goddam steward was worth a shit.

Remember that shit I dealt with last year, with the chief, captain and steward against me?
    Same fucking steward. He's been so friendly to me this trip that I'm definitely not gonna give him my back, or he'll put a knife in it, for sure.

Smilin' faces.....

10. LtDave32

I've already pinched my boss' cheeks.

And it was all good.

She's awesome.

SteveGangi, Tim Fezziwig and JohnnyN like this.
  11. LtDave32

Least you finally seem to have some internet.

I've kept your dream alive, all over the forum.

No, no.. Don't thank me.

Aw shucks, big fella.. We missed you.

Get back home and I'll come down to Long Beach and we'll have a beer..

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  12. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Our parties were huge, with three food lines, hundreds of staff and SOs. We had to pay for alcohol, but those of us from other cites had paid for hotel rooms. It was worth the drive from Kingston to Toronto. It gradually degraded to fewer staff, no free rooms for those outside of T.O., and then they wanted us to pay. That didn't get much of a turnout and this year, I guess there isn't one because we would have had a notice at least a month ago.

On the other hand, I had no one to take to the shindig by 2000, so I hadn't been to one in years, anyway.

13. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Hell yeah.
    I’m on the wagon, though.
    Make it coffee and you’re on.

LtDave32 likes this.
  14. freak

freak Silver Supporter

We talkin' ass cheeks here, or just the facial variety?

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  15. LtDave32

I can't speak for Tim, but it my case it was the face.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  16. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

You know there’s a generation or two that came after you who have no idea whatsoever what it means to “Xerox” anything...

...and more and more who’ve never seen a fax...

Cheers

17. Paul_Myles

Paul_Myles Junior Member

Booz?

18. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

Never worked for a company here in the US that had a Christmas party. My current employer puts on a Christmas dinner in the break room and that is all. At least it is something I guess.

During my working life in England, my employers always had them. They went all out on them. Usually booked a large event suite in a hotel and some even paid for the rooms if you stayed the night. They would book live bands, well known comedians and all sorts of live entertainment. No casual dress was allowed but by the end of the night, shoes, ties and shirts were off :laugh2:
    There was always stories the following week at work. Who slept with who :laugh2:
    I did enjoy the parties because it was when those who were stuffy at work, actually relaxed and was a different character in that sort of setting.
    I would also have department parties. One that stands out was going to a Greek restaurant. Dancing to Greek music and smashing plates, especially under the influence, was fun! :laugh2:

I used to go to my friends parties too. One who worked for Snap On Tools, they actually booked out a well known holiday camp for 2 days. Live bands (some well known), paid for the rooms, free food etc. kids were allowed to be taken where there was free babysitting. It was pretty cool. Company often showed their thanks to their employees back then.

I don't hear much of company parties nowadays. Reducing costs I guess.

Caleb likes this.
  19. LtDave32

I know. It was part of the joke, like drinking Harvey Wallbangers and putting a lampshade on one's head.

SteveGangi likes this.
  20. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

Which cheeks ... ?

Tim Fezziwig likes this.