X-MAS PARTY 2017- the end of an era

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by SGeoff, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Bingo!

The theatre I work at used to have great Christmas parties. Awesome catering, open bar, band or DJ all night. Then suddenly one year, we had to pay for the booze. They told us that they could not risk liability for someone getting too drunk on the free booze and getting hurt. Then after a couple of more years of the cash bar, they stopped serving booze altogether. This time the reason was that they could not risk liability for someone getting too drunk on the booze they paid for and getting hurt. :hmm:
    That was basically the end of the Christmas party.
    Now all they have is "the Christmas Luncheon". A mediocre buffet at noon during a weekday and we can't even bring our spouses. LAME SAUCE!

SteveGangi, hazmat7719, Caleb and 5 others like this.
  2. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I work at one of the largest Ford dealers in the country. I've been here for 25 years, in sales. We have 3 sales managers, and they pay for our sales staff, receptionists, and porters to eat and drink at a really nice local bar here sometime close to Christmas. It takes place after work hours.

The company has a luncheon for all of the employees (150 or so), and gives out Dearborn Hams to every employee.

That being said, their pay plan is one of the best, if not THE best in the country. I'd rather collect bigger bonus's, and have a better pay percentage, (which they do) than see them spend huge money on a Christmas party at some hotel. I see these guys and gals 50-60 hrs. a week. I'd rather collect my bonus and ham, and throw my own party at home with family I DON'T see as often as I should than take a chance partying, drinking and driving, etc., with co-workers I see more than family.

Matt_21 and Caleb like this.
  3. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Hack, I was an "appentice" welder ,he was KING OF WELDING/PLUMBING/WOODWORK.....he had a lantern jaw. I kept drinking and fuming. We had "history." One day he came up to me smug,

"Well Tim, looks like you're working througgh lunch. Take the doors off this unit."
    I laughed. I RIPPED those doors off and proceeded to have lunch. He came in the lunch-room.
    "Tim, you are a butcher!"
    Yeah yeah. I've met every kind of wanna be Alpha Male around. No thanks. They are but fodder,

4. freebyrd 69

O.K., but, who cares? I've never understood this. There are a handful of people at work that I do things outside of the company with. Party, go to concerts, some come to our gigs, but, how many people at a given company do you REALLY care about? More often than not, the ratio of people I care to hang out with vs. one's I couldn't care less about are about 1:10......in that order.

LDS714 and SGeoff like this.
  5. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

We're having ours tonight. Open bar until 11, taxi chits and company Uber for staff to CYA. It should be a blast.

Caleb and freebyrd 69 like this.
  6. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

well, you are correct, that's how it is now, but not always. I am just lamenting the loss

SteveGangi, Caleb and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Same here. Now we have a day pot luck instead if a night of pizza drinks.

There ain't no pot nor do I feel luck.

In fact I usually bring 50 bacon wrapped water chestnuts which takes me an hour to wrap, and spend my own money.

You'd think at least the bonuses would get bigger as a trade off.

electric head and freebyrd 69 like this.
  8. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

at my old job they have big christmas parties every year at a hotel. pretty big prizes like football tickets and things of the sort. not sure if people drink or not. I never went to one.

9. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet

We abandoned those like 20 yes ago.... PC corporate America at its best!

SteveGangi and rcole_sooner like this.
  10. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

i used to work at a place that had epic office parties.remember drinking rum and cokes and losing count after 15 of them,getting home and bending over to pet the dog and rolling into and knocking over his water dish.also driving the porcelain bus the next morning...good times.

SteveGangi and judson like this.
  11. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

That doesn't sound right... I look forward to our parties every year. They do it right.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

13. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

I used to work for a defense contractor that rented the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Center (huge air/space museum out in Chantilly) for the annual Christmas party. They decorated, had live music, open bars all over the facility, and food tables. They got special rates for a nearby hotel and ran a shuttle from the hotel to the party. They don't do this any more, I think the last year was 2011.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Matt_21, judson, JohnnyN and 6 others like this.
  14. Hack

Hack Senior Member

We dont do anything here. No birthdays, anniversaries, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas.
    Bossman gives out a ham to everyone for Christmas. Thats way above anything anyone expects too.
    We do have a couple vendors that will bring us pizzas a couple times a year randomly.
    Its just as well. Its kinda like high school reunions. I didnt care for them in high school, not gonna care for them now.

Oh, we did have one retirement party a couple years ago for a long time employee. Bossman was trying to set one up for me, but I told him no.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  15. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Let's be honest. It was shut down because someone (not saying "you", but I'm thinking it) had a few drinks and tried to fly the shuttle.

Matt_21, tolm, <gator> and 4 others like this.
  16. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

naw, he was in the flying tiger going vroom, taka taka taka

17. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

I never attended such affairs.

I noticed all along that it was typical for them to get a snoot full of booze, do or say something stupid, and then over the next couple of weeks their professional peers would recount various things that were done and said, always to the detriment of the person under discussion.

The public sector is vicious like that. Everybody's worrying about putting the screws to somebody else, lest that person be chosen for one of those rare promotions that come along every so often. The game is to make other guys look bad so they've got some kind of edge. Whisper campaigns were quite common, along with cronyism, sabotage of reputations, and so forth.

And it's not like you can just beat the guy's ass. These are civilians, not stand-up guys by any means. And so I tended to drink with the bikers instead... at least you know where you stand with those guys, and nobody closes ranks against anybody else if a couple of guys get into some kind of scuffle. If anything, they'll diss you as a pussy for not clobbering somebody who did you wrong. And if the cops show up, nobody saw nothin'... least of all, the combatants themselves. :laugh2:

So I used to avoid inter-office affairs of any type-- and I did it for 30 years.

One time somebody came forth to ask me if I was snubbing everybody else. I gave my usual disclaimers, saying that I was busy and etc.

The top boss knew me pretty well, though, and he saw what I was all about when it came to being a no-show of that sort. One day he confronted me with it. Knowing better than to lie to the guy, I explained my position as it really was.

He sighed and nodded, then went on to tell me that he personally got sick of all the ass-kissing he was treated to by these same pogues who also tended to back-stab their professional peers.

He said, "The biggest mistake these guys make is to think that I'm not seeing through all of it... and to think that I'm not disgusted by their behavior." He went on to reminisce about his days in a college frat, which tended to be pretty much the same as the bikers were when it came to their very open nature and their method of resolving conflicts with one another.

And that's why my foreman was actually dispatched to fetch me and make me come to my retirement party. The old man knew for sure that I would actually be a no-show if somebody didn't do that-- even though it would be the last time I was ever to be found among those I worked with.

I never saw those guys as friends to begin with. They could have been handing out doubloons at the door, and I still wouldn't show.

Buncha petty jerkoffs. Why would I ever wish to party with them?

--R :laugh2:

18. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

At that company, almost all the contractors and most management were former military. Very few at the contractor level hadn't been to Iraq, Afghanistan, or both. A lot of us were in contracts that had rotating deployments to war zones too. Made for a more interesting group of people, didn't seem like the typical office event that is usually less a party and more an opportunity to step on your d!ck.

19. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I love Dearborn Hams. We have one in the freezer for the 17th, the wife went and got one from the nearby Dearborn Ham place.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  20. freebyrd 69

They are THE BEST!!!