Wtf...is this "dumble" amp of which you speak?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by #1guitarman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

I have a chance to buy a "Dumble" amplifier...trust me, the price is way right, like "yard sale" right, what is the story on these amps??
    This is an amp head and a 2x12 cab, both say "Dumble" on 'em.
    I played thru the set this evening and I really like it, makes my Plexi sound inferior as a matter of fact.
    Old dude (like, 78 yrs old) is selling everything out of his house and moving to Alambama, sez he needs the $$. He sold his 1960 Lester to a collector in Miami Friday for, are you ready for this??....$4,500. He said for what he paid for it new, it was a really nice return on his investment...:shock:...He said he felt bad about taking advantage of the guy...:cool::wow:
    So I need to know, before I finish paying for it ($100 deposit to hold it, $400 balance), just what is it?:hmm:

chef and Sin Nombre like this.
  2. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

On the remote hance that this isnt a pisstake- take the $400 down there and collect the amp straight away. Take him a good bottle of small batch bourbon as a moving present.

Robert Arthur likes this.
  3. #1guitarman

This is no "pisstake"...this is real, I just need to know what I'm gettin' into...I'm picking up the amp @ 0600 in the am, I just called him and told him I'd pick it up before work.

He said fine, it's yours, make it easy on yourself...

4. onedaycloser

onedaycloser Senior Member

5. #1guitarman

Oneday,

HOLY SH*T!!! I had NO idea!!
    This model is just like the head and cab built for Tom McGrath, only it's Blond Tolex not that reddish brown...Only approx. 300 made?...Is this like hittin' the Lotto??

I've known this Ol' guy for about 7 years, never, I repeat, NEVER has he ever said anything about owning an electric guitar or amplifier. I kew he had an old Martin acoustic, but NO IDEA he had this kinda stuff stashed away in his closet.

He told me tonight, if he knew I would'ave been interested in that Old Gibson, he'da let me have it alot cheaper than he sold it to "That asshole" from Miami.

I think I'm gonna cry...

6. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

:wow::wow:

Take up a collection and give him an extra $200 to rummage through any other gear he may be hoarding and wanting to give away. :shock:

Damn... this kinda stuff always happens to someone else. :cool:

Nice job, man....and best of luck!

7. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

Oh for crying out loud.... can you just post his phone number already?? :laugh2::laugh2:

8. onedaycloser

onedaycloser Senior Member

Um, yeah I've heard Dumble's name mentioned here and there ever since I started getting into guitars. This IS winning the lotto if it's legit, I mean like anything that is rare/valuable their could be fakes/forgeries.

I hope it's real though, would make for a cool story and a very nice profit if you should choose so.

Like what was said above I'd get together what ever cash I could and try to see what else he might have.

Good Luck!

9. #1guitarman

Ol' Dude sez he's got some other "Old Shit" I might be interested in, to stop by after work tommorow and we'll dig it out. Sez he can't get up in the attic anymore, arthritis is killin' him...

When we met, he kinda reminded me of my Dad, so we hung out a bit, and he kinda adopted me...we both drank single malt scotch prior to my gettin' diabetes, so we used to try to out-do each other on the rare Scotch thing, just to see who could come up with the best, and when I told him I couldn't drink anymore, he said he'd quit to...and did.
    He sez the only reason he dosen't wanna leave the Keys is 'cause of friends like me.

Imma hafta chew up a Quaalude to go to sleep tonight...

10. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Dumbles are EXTREMELY rare and sell in the $30K - $70K range. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you are legally obligated to make the sell aware of this before buying. Otherwise, what you're doing is illegal.

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Quite the opposite.

There is no duty for a buyer to inform a seller that the item being sold is of greater value than they are asking.

12. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Dice, this topic has come up on the forum before. As I recall the lawyer members stated that if a buyer is aware that the item is of value and the seller is not, the buy has to advise the seller. Otherwise the seller has recourse.

13. #1guitarman

I ask him what it was worth, and did the "A-Hole" from Miami make him an offer on it..."I didn't tell that jackass I had it, I'm still tryin' to figure out how he knew I had that Ol' Gibson...Bubba, bein' old sucks!" is what he told me.
    He also said That it was worth what ever someone was willing to pay, and since he ask $500 for it, that's what it was worth to him.
    He said he "bought it in California a long time ago, and didn't pay shit for it then, why f*ck someone on it now?"

srsly, I'm gonna need a 'lude to sleep now...

14. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

I would think,one should take care of ones friends :shock:
    therefore,you should act as his agent,sell the Dumble for him,give him the cash,and let him "tip" you whatever he thinks your efforts are worth. :thumb:
    win-win :applause:

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'll be a lawyer in 8 months. I've taken an entire year of Contract law. I assure you, there is no duty for the buyer to inform seller of value.

16. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Assuming this story is true (and I hope it is!) it doesn't seem like the guy gives a crap what he gets for this gear as long as it's not screwing him out of what he paid for it. If he's as insistent about it as he seems in this story, I don't see any harm in paying what he asks and nothing more.

17. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

JM, see above quote from OP.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but taking advantage of someone to this extreme is so wrong! Something I would never consider doing. Very shameful!

18. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Fair enough. I'd definitely be compelled to tell the guy it's worth so much more than what he's asking. I would never want to take advantage of anyone. If you told him it was worth more and he said "bollocks", what would you do? Walk away?

I'd love to be in #1's shoes, though!

19. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

Snatch that little F*cker up right away! If the guy's getting rid of it, and he insists on his ridiculously low price, take it, give him a nice gift in return, and play the hell out of it! An original Dumble ODS is the amplifier equivalent of a '59 Burst. Sorry about the '60LP that you missed out on.

20. #1guitarman

I'm not beyond that...I think my wife and I have had that very discussion sometime in the last couple of hours.
    I have heard, vaguely, of "Dumble" Amps. But I didn't actually know what they were, not real popular, ya know? so I did a search and found all kinds of info on 'em. couldn't find one on ebay, so I didn't know exactly what they were worth, I just wanted it 'cause it's old and "Cool".

The more I think about it, the more I think there's more to this guy than meets the eye...

This I know for sure,
    He was a member of the "Mongols" Motorcycle club back in the '60s in SoCal.

He got into rock and roll and used to be in "The Club Band" and played at the big Club parties and such.

His wife died in a motorcycle accident in 1971, and he quit riding then.
    He never remarried, moved to Florida in 1973, and then moved to the Keys to "Make some bigass cash" back in the late '70s, he's been here since.

And he's as cool as cool can get.

A lot of people here thinks he's looney, But they don't take the time to know him.

He can play EVERY Grateful Dead tune ever written, on his Martin.