WTB: Epiphone Mo Baby guitar

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by beerguy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Can we blame 'vomer' (Paul) for it :hmm:
    he's one of the few remaing regular posters there

Though Epi-1 wasn't online since Apr 04 2013 01:51 AM

2. mdp0007

mdp0007 Junior Member

I also would believe this one not to be a prototype at all regardless of who gave it to you, maybe an artist relations model, prototypes are usually not seen in public eye and used by R&D and passed between corporate personal and some times show up at pubicity events if a finished production model is not available, also when I worked at Gibson Nashville in 2004, the prototype Gibson's I saw very seldom ever left the plant and most get destroyed if there are more than one...but how knows what really goes on their at Gibson/Epiphone Nashville these days, most of the good people have gone.

3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Yeah, the word "prototype" should really be reserved for guitars the public never sees. Everything else is really a final approval run, show sample or demo unit.

4. mdp0007

mdp0007 Junior Member

RTH what info do you have about the Epiphone Airscreamer guitar, I would like to know how many of these were manufactured. I understand that there was only one production run and I have serial number 67, also could you tell me the estimated value of this guitar, it is mint 9.8 out of 10. I really appreciate your great knowledge of Epiphones as the company does so many things that are unpredictable like the serial #s not having any consistency. Thank You for all your help, this is a really great site. mdp0007

5. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

I'm not sure how many Airscreamers were made. If I had to guess, I'd say just a few thousand at the most. They werent very popular because of the shape of the body, the EMG pickup and the price tag. They originally retailed for $599. I dont know what a resale value would be. I'm not well versed in resale values of Epiphone guitars..and I try not to be because I get a lot of emails asking the worth of peoples' guitars and I dont want to compromise the wiki by infringing on other websites' territory that charge for Blue Book and retail values. I sometimes give values for Epiphone strats and low end stuff that is kind of obvious, but thats about it. And I only do that because I own some and feel that my personal experience isnt infringing on other peoples' source of income.

6. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

In my opinion, these are only worth what some one is prepared to pay. Just because it is 'rare', doesn't make it desireable. It is a very niche market, you need to find the person who really wants one at the right price. I have bought a few 'oddities' and kooky axes over the years, but have not paid over the odds for them - usually they are bargains because of the limited appeal. Epiphone are not usually forthcoming with requests for build quantities, nor their parent co. Gibson. Some times advertising at the time will state limited run amounts, but even this evidence can be disputed - For example, Gibsons Snow Falcon Flying V initially stated a limited run of 500 on the website, but this statement was soon removed, so i wonder just how many were made due to the demand? Epiphone re worked the Genesis recently, stating that only 500 of each (4) finish would be made. I believe this to be true as i dont think it sold that well - supply and demand merits how many and the price point.

7. mdp0007

mdp0007 Junior Member

RTH, do you have any idea how many Epiphone Flying V 7 strings were produced?

8. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

No. Epiphone doesnt give out productioon numbers most of the time. Its possible that they mentioned how many were slated for production when the model was new, but beyond that, it is impossible to say.

1 person likes this.
  9. vomer

vomer Member

I'm a responsible person... if something goes wrong it's usually me who's responsible...:naughty:

And a bit less regular now. It's getting kind of lonely over there. But if you'd like me to put in a good word for you... oh hold on, I already tried that this week...:facepalm:

1 person likes this.