WTB: Epiphone Mo Baby guitar

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by beerguy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

Looking for a complete 1999-2000 Epi Mo Baby guitar, working or not; the one with the built-in amp & speaker. Thanks

mdp0007 likes this.
  2. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

I was simply going to blow off your response, until I saw the personal dig at the bottom of your post.

I happen to be a home brewer for over 20 years, a hobby I enjoy as much as owning, building & playing fine guitars; hence the username.

My guitars include a '07 LP plus top, a '64 SG Junior, a '63 SG Special, a '07 Custom Shop VOS SG Special, a '06 SG Junior, a '07 SG '61 RI, and a Precision Guitar Kits LP Junior-ish kit which I assembled & finished myself (some shown). I love Gibson guitars.

My next guitar is going to be a scratch-build of a Gibson 'Moderne'. I just found out after buying and reading Ronald Lynn Wood's book that the Epi 'Mo Baby' has a realistic Moderne neck that I'd like to either use in my build or use as reference for dimensions.

So if I've placed this request improperly or in the wrong place in this forum, I apologize. Otherwise, cork sniffer, bite me.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Nah, this is the right place, it's where the Epi nuts hang out. I for one was intrigued by your post, I wasn't aware of the Mo Baby and now I want one too. Nice guitar collection BTW.

:thumb:

PS, when it comes to forum trolls, my motto is: "I've received far worse insults from far better people."

:cool:

1 person likes this.
  4. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

Thanks. I've heard a YouTube demo of the Mo Baby, and it's about what you might expect (pretty bad). But it's got a full scale neck with all the odd Moderne headstock parts & shape, which would come in handy on my build. Not as easy to come by as I figured though.

5. Brians Evil Twin

I see the only one that's been on eBay lately sold for $200. Seems high for what's essentially a toy guitar.

Epiphone Baby MO Guitar in Groovy Green and with Factory Gig Bag | eBay

6. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

Yeah, that would put it out of my price range for what I need it for. I live in a town dominated by second-hand stores and yard sales; maybe I'll get lucky. My plan B is to buy a fretted, paddle-head neck blank, add some wings to the headstock, and cut the Gumby head.

The extra string trees a Moderne uses are available on eBay from Bruce Bennett, a luthier who builds Moderne copies and the remarkable J. Backlund guitars. He used to work at Gibson, and some of his builds can be found in the Luthier's Corner at this site.

1 person likes this.
  7. Brians Evil Twin

8. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

I blame Billy Gibbons for the continued interest in these odd guitars. He claims to own one of the original 1958 prototypes, although none ever went to production. Billy seems to be a master of intrigue & mystery, and once you do a little reading, you kinda get drawn into the weirdness. I just feel compelled to build one.

Reissues of these from both Gibson and Epiphone pop every few years. I believe Epi's run is done, but you can still buy new Gibsons with a revised headstock:

Gibson Limited Run Moderne XI Electric Guitar | GuitarCenter

9. Brians Evil Twin

I don't know that I'd pay $1700 for one and certainly not one with a Dean headstock.

The Gumby headstock is really key to it's quirkiness, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  10. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

Beerguy, I pm'd you and had no reply re this guitar. If you need any measurements/help let me know, I'm happy to assist.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

There's one! Thanks for responding. Sorry, but I can't find or didn't receive your message, but I'm kinda new at that.

I'm most interested in the height x width of the headstock, to see if it's close to a set of plans I have, and also the nut width. If you have the time to measure where the string guide screw holes are, I really appreciate it.

And I suppose I should ask if the guitar or neck is for sale.

Edit: I'M in Oregon USA zip 97051

12. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

I will get the dimensions for you over the weekend, beerguy.
    Selling it to you probably wont be viable for either of us - I am in the UK and planned to use the Moderne as a guide to making my own full size copy - same as you !
    [​IMG]

13. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

1 person likes this.
  14. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

I'm actually considering a through neck laminated construction. It would be easy and economical to add the minimalist wings of the body to each side and i fancy the body to be a laminate look with a blackburst translucent finish. Thanks for the link to those plans which will help me scale up the body shape.

15. Brians Evil Twin

16. Alty

Alty Senior Member

Hi makoshark, can I be cheeky ask what you'll be doing with it after you've finished using it as a guide, as I'm in the UK and my daughter saw this and likes it...:)

Leon

17. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

Beerguy, because of the lack of symmetry to the 'gumby' headstock i was struggling to find a way to give you measurements that were going to be easy and accurate. So i found a 2.5mm clear sheet of plastic and made you a template of the exact profile including tuner holes and the string roller guide placement, that way accuracy should be assured. You can use it as is, or use it to make a sturdier template from thick perspex or mdf. I will pm you for your details so that i can send it to you and maybe you can try and pm me also - lets see if we can link up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Alty, i kinda had in mind a refin' in black when i'd done with it. Needs a bloody good set up and fret dress to make it half decent too. A bit unfair to call it a toy as it is a full scale and functional instrument, but it will require a bit of work to get it to a reasonable playability. I dont think it will be for sale in the near 'futura' (see what i did there ?!) so please dont get your daughters hopes up !

5 people like this.
  18. Alty

Alty Senior Member

:)

Cheers makoshark, thought as much, but if you don't ask :) and she caught sight of it over my shoulder and has GAS bad, but in a good way, she's 12 and already up to 4 Guitars and a Ukulele (The 339 is hers in my Sig) so no doubt it will be added to her list of wants. :)

(If you change your mind in the future please just let me know.)

Apologies to BG for the slight hijack and off topic, but all done now, thanks.

Leon

19. beerguy

beerguy Junior Member

Please go play in someone else's sandbox; we're having fun here.

2 people like this.