Wow, this is big. Dr Z Amps, have released their OWN Kemper Profiles of their own Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by cybermgk, Jun 22, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Not negative. Just calling out what I see is all. Aren't counter points important? Kemper users have already gotten these amp profiles.

CaptainT likes this.
  2. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Ah ok, I just misunderstood then!

Cheers,

CT

frankv likes this.
  3. Drog

Drog Senior Member

I purchased these and there are a lot of great sounds as well as nicely setup effects ( something most leave out).

I think it's great to have Dr.Z making their own profiles. He did get the help of someone else that has experience in making profiles to lend a hand. It's not like he woke up one morning and said I am going to profile and sell my amps today.

What we get here is the sound of the amps as the maker of them thinks they should sound. very cool in my opinion.

It's all about more choices, that's a good thing. For $35, this is a no brainer purchase IMO.

lowmach likes this.
  4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Well, I'm not saying this to start an argument, but I had a discussion with one of the biggest name amp designers at NAMM, and was surprised at how hands off he was with a lot of the products his company was putting out. Rather than a lot of R & D testing, it was more a case of throwing spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks. So you never really know how serious they take any particular project, or if the head honcho was even in the building when it was happening.

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yea, I had to set the amp volume up as well.

lowmach likes this.
  6. cybermgk

And truthfully Dr Zs are good. But I had some just as good of his amps. To make a good profile of an amp, you need some experience with the amp, good mic'ing gear and technique, and some experience with the Kemper. In Truth, others can make good profiles of the amp, and they have.

frankv likes this.
  7. cybermgk

Yes. I WAS a little worried, they were going to produce crap profiles to hurt Kemper sales (well a tiny part of my brain).

8. frankv

As I mentioned. They are charging too little for the profiles and I am afraid you get what you pay for.

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I think it's pretty cool to get profiles straight from the manufacturer. I do, however, agree with Frank that Dr. Z should charge more - psychologically it would add more "value" and desirability to the profiles. I would love to see more manufacturers head down this road.

10. frankv

Absolutely Mark, No question. Higher price means better perception. They have them priced so low because they put little to no work into creating them. Thanks my guess.

Regarding more manufactures going down this road. Bet your butt they will have to because this tech is not going away ever.

11. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I don't agree, they have to be competitively priced as there's a lot of free profiles available. It apparently takes less than an hour to setup and run decent profile, including some tweaking,/adjustments so the costs associated and that plus the one time cost of obtaining a Keemper. So they make the money in the volume of sales. Start jacking prices for "perception" purposes may impress some folks but some of us know better and perceive it as either pretentious or rip off. The Top Jim my pack for Kemper is $50+/_ and represents considerably more effort to develop IMO as the numerous profiles try (& do) beautifully clone not just an Amp but Eddies tones on the various songs described in the profile names.

cybermgk likes this.
  12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I getcha - I am a Helix user, so I don't buy or follow Kemper profile pricing. I just know, from running restaurants in the past, that there is a method to pricing - that's where I was basing my opinion.

frankv likes this.
  13. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

It was no brainer at $35 for me, but say $100 and I would've contemplated while seeking demos and reviews.

14. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Here is a quick clip of the Carmen Ghia3 profile:

Edit: be nice as I'm no pro...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  15. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Nice job man! Sounds great!

lowmach likes this.
  16. cybermgk

Very nice. Got that just pushed o tube tone.

I see you ALSO have an unused Unleash on a shelf, lol.

lowmach likes this.
  17. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I'm wasn't totally into or aware of dr Z tones in my tube obsession, but I like what I just heard! those chords at the beginning had a sweet breakup :drool: very unique voicing :hmm: I may pick this pack up...

18. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I hope to see more of this type of thing as well, because profiles are all over the place in terms of quality and fidelity. Michael Swart the Kemper folks need you! :laugh2:

19. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I just view this as a stopgap measure by an amp builder. People are either distributing Dr Z's amp tones for free, or they are charging for it. Might as well get that money back from someone else charging money for their tones.

20. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

IDk GR,

How many kempers are even out there? I doubt DR Z will see any substantial sustainable profits here, but wtf do I know. They said they wanted to represent better than the current offerings. They sound great! Hopefully they're compensated for their time and decide to develop more profiles for us. Hell its foolish for other amp makers to not follow. They're just leaving money on the table if they don't.

Doubt boutique amp makers have the pockets to start lawsuits, maybe a cease and desist letter though. Just my .02. End of the day they're just trying to meet payroll.