Wow, this is big. Dr Z Amps, have released their OWN Kemper Profiles of their own Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by cybermgk, Jun 22, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It appears that Dr Z amps, sees the future.

http://www.drzamps-zgear.com/store/c8/DR._Z_Kemper_Profiles.html

He/They state:

I heard a Kemper Profiler and I must say I was pretty amazed at the quantum leap they made in digital amplifiers, as I investigated further I found profiles of DR. Z Amps. I wasn't that impressed in the profiles I heard and I did not want my products sounds to be incorrectly presented. So I took it upon myself to do something about it.

I contacted a good friend who is a Nashville first call studio cat, a touring guitarist for a major country act, as well as a long time Z Amp user for some assistance. He has been a Kemper user for years and enjoyed the wide range of guitar tones available in studio with his Kemper. One never knows what a producer will request of you on a recording session.

We combined his unique technique of profiling amps, along with 12 selected and max tweaked Z Amps I built for this project to create this authorized Z Amp package. I have sampled 12 amps with multiple settings both clean and over driven to offer the widest pallet of Z tones. I have included teaser samples for your evaluation. First is the Carmen Ghia recorded into a Pro Tools setup. The second sample is the direct Kemper profile. I did the same for the Z Wreck. Listen and enjoy.

I will be offering these 36 Kemper profiled downloadable files for $35.00.

These are proprietary files, so please do not share them. At this low cost please support DR. Z so more authorized profiles can be made available. I am currently working on discontinued and legacy DR. Z Amp profiles so look for them

I've bought mine and can't wait to try them at home tonight.

RAG7890, kiko, Rhust and 6 others like this.
  2. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

$35 for MULTIPLE Dr. Z amps at your disposal.

How does it get any better?

AllTheSound, cybermgk and frankv like this.
  3. cybermgk

And made and tweaked by the actual Amp maker's ears.

AllTheSound likes this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Just a matter of time. That's what you are witnessing. Tube amp companies must be scrambling. Watch for one of these huge companies to dive into the digital world head first. It is their destiny. Or else

RichBrew and Rhust like this.
  5. KenG

KenG Senior Member

A smart marketing move on thier part! Instead of fighting the modelling consumer they are effectively now offering their product for them by providing this as a service. I would be more secure paying them that very reasonable fee for multiple amps of their design then buying profiles from others. SO while they do loose some revenue overall they are adding to their product offering!
    Way to go Dr Z! Maybe Brad Paisely will change over:hippie:

CaptainT likes this.
  6. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Brilliant!!! I'm in!

They followed Celestion's lead. Very cool!

7. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Very cool: the authorised Z Wreck model on the latest AmpliTube Custom Shop is awesome but I don't use Amplitube enough to justify buying it.

HOWEVER

I fail to see how this tech will replace someone like Dr Zs primary business ... I mean, he's got to first design and build a tube amp in order to profile it ... unless there are folks out there "hand crafting" Kemper profiles of imaginary amps? Is that possible?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. cybermgk

Kemper no, Axe, actually yes you can.

9. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I agree smart move on Dr Z's part. I would be surprised not to see others follow suit for the reasons he cited in the not so distant future. I kinda doubt it costs them any revenue, the market they are reaching by doing this most likely would not be buyers otherwise. win win

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    RAG7890 likes this.
  10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

You're correct in that they are obviously not going to stop making tube amps in the foreseeable future. However they've just widened their market for the tones of their product into modelling and all it cost them was the price of a Kemper to do it. Now they can modify DR Zs and re-profile at will and offer tones simply profiling an existing amp somewhere, by someone, may not be able to.
    They may also entice some people using modellers to buy a DR Z if they fall in love with the sounds from the Kemper.

It also represents change in attitude when a company, instead of saying "you have to buy the real thing" they're basically saying "hell yes, we think these profiles are good and our name is behind them"

11. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Seems like the modeling ball has crested the peak and is now on an unstoppable roll. Smart companies like Dr. Z recognize this. I'm fairly certain we'll continue to see more and more cabinets geared towards the modeler. That's one way that the amp companies can get a piece of the pie and have their name/logo out there even though they don't build a modeling amp.

frankv likes this.
  12. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I view this differently- This the first step to defining the Kemper/ Axe etc as hardware and the amp sounds as software. Dr Z is saying the models suck- sorry modeller men/women- and so we're- the amp manufacturer- are going to take control. This defines the model software as more important. Interesting turn in my opinion. I think this is the first step in changing the value equation. We will see where this goes.

13. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

These sound great. I'm not familiar with Dr. Z amps, but the Z28 and Z-lux are right up my alley.

I can't imagine life without a Kemper now....

Note: I had to bump up the volume on these to match my other profiles. Anyone else?

I also appreciate the effects they setup with rigs... Never get enough of the harmonizer stuff...fun!

frankv likes this.
  14. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I'm sorry I'm not sure how to take your statement.

Edit I get it now
    They are saying they can profile their amps with the Kemper better than most or all amateur users/Owners! OK There's a valid point of view.

15. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Seems like a smart move.

It deters some a-hole from buying an amp, modeling it, and returning it.

It gives Dr Z some control over what quality of model will be floating around out there.

It give a revenue stream to Dr Z, from people that have shown they are not likely to be Dr Z hardware customers.

They get in on this early enough to make some buzz about it. Good move, I say.

kboman, frankv and Donal like this.
  16. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I still this represents in the very least a validation of the Kemper by Dr Z since they've chosen to offer to do this. I was impressed by the Top Jim my Kemper profiles but I doubt an Amp mfr would bother to go beyond simply profiling their amp at what They thought was best

17. frankv

I highly doubt that Dr Z can profile their amps better then Fractal has already. They have zero experience at doing that and Fractal has already tone matched some of the most iconic amps made.

Why anyone would think that a tube amp company could just jump in with no experience and create better profiles is wishful thinking at best.. If you look at Celestions attempt to create IRs of their speakers you will mostly see a failed attempt . Anyone who has them will tell you Ownhammer kills them. It's experience that makes the difference..

The bottom line is this. The end of tube amp dominance is here. Has been for quite some time now. What we are seeing from companies like Dr Z is an attempt to stay relavent.

I'm going to bet that Dr Z profiles will be the first step for them in making a full function modeler. They better, because they already got caught sleeping at the wheel years and years ago when Fender created the Mustang.

One thing should be clearly obvious. Modelers are no longer disrespected devices that can be disregarded as passing fads.

In my view Dr Z made one mistake when they entered this arena. The price should have been hundreds of dollars for their profiles instead of $35. That would have given their effort move credence then it is.

18. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

This is clever and a 100% cash cow.

They had only the one time cost when creating the profiles. Now they can sell hundreds without spending a dime. Dr. Z didnĀ“t have to build new amps for that, they already had them.

Clever and cool. I agree with all said above: Win Win ;)

19. frankv

Quite valid points Who.. However, they hardly got in early. The barn doors were left open like 5 years ago.

20. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Why so negative Frank?

I am just happy for every Kemper user to be able to get these profiles.