WOW! MF SDOD Epiphone LE LP Traditional PRO Desert Burst $319

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by JMon, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JMon

JMon Senior Member

2. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Wow. Too bad it's not in another color since I've already got a beautiful Desert Burst!

But I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have one yet!

JMon likes this.
  3. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Member

I like mine. The electronics suck (except for the pickups!), so at some point I'm going to replace the scratchy three-way and output jack...and the rest of them too (except for the pickups!) while I'm in there. But it has a nice neck (it says standard D in the description), good tuners, great fit and finish, and at $319 you can't beat it. I paid $349, and I thought that was a good deal.

JMon likes this.
  4. oldguy101

oldguy101 Member

Been wanting one for awhile. Almost pulled the trigger at $399 but I'm glad I waited. Ordered one today from MF for $319. What a deal!

howardlo and JMon like this.
  5. Naquat

Naquat Junior Member

Right now they are out of stock and the price is $499 !

6. JMon

JMon Senior Member

Welcome! Indeed, that price was a steal. I should of bought one.

7. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

They have done the desert burst pro for that price several times in the past. It will probably come up again

8. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Member

Yep. Just wait. They discount these all the time.

9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Those look to be excellent value. I don't understand Epi's guitar names at all. Other than some aspects of appearance, this is not a "Traditional" build -- it's veneered, right? -- calling it a Limited Edition when they're made in vast numbers and the edition is repeated is just silly. PRO? While Epis are frequently entirely professional caliber in terms of functionality, they're not seen very often with major artists (though to be fair, lots of everyday working pros use them). Does this ridiculous labelling actually have a positive effect? What's wrong with "Epiphone Les Paul"? They seem like they're trying too hard pretty often, and playing pretend when they needn't do so.

JMon likes this.
  10. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

I'm sure it's just marketing. Seems illogical but the only logic they're looking for is sales regardless of the true reflection of the name.

It's like fender changing the name of the American standard to the Pro or whatever it's called now.
    Nowadays standard is a bad word -- means regular instead of super amazing bad mother.....
    Instead of "industry standard" which used to carry a lot of weight.

JMon likes this.
  11. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

One has to learn what the terms mean. Call it silly or whatever, but it does help to understand what it means.
    EPI almost always has been using "Limited Edition" to mean a particular color made in less numbers than the rest. Still could be big numbers. Face it, "Limited" is marketing 101.

Traditional is all over the map for Gibson and EPI. Even a "true" EPI Traditional will still be veneered. That's one thing that differentiates an EPI from a Gibson. Otherwise, neither EPI nor Gibson do a good job making the Traditional traditional. Yeah, somewhat, kinda.
    Now add the word "pro". It is just pro. Not professional. And resemblance is strictly coincidental and intentional.
    In this case, with both Gibson and EPI, pro means "not really". So a Traditional Pro is "a Traditional that is not really a Traditional because it has some modern upgrades".

I guess a glossary would help.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  12. JMon

JMon Senior Member

To me, the PRO versions denote the change to Alnico PRO and PRObucker pickups. They are without a doubt, a major step up from the older Alnico Classics and nearly indistinguishable from Gibson Burstbuckers.