Would you say this is real or fake?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by daze84, Jan 8, 2009.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

If you can't tell, then what is the difference?

2. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

A fake Epiphone? Why would anyone bother?

3. GNR4EVR

GNR4EVR Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Oh boy, here we go again...
    Because the fakers can move them faster- Like fake Nikes and Levis. See the Fake Epiphone Thread, theres thousands of them, especially on UK Ebay.

4. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I've just stopped answering their questions. Just pure ignorance.

5. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

The first one was apparently made in 2010.

6. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Y'know what? I'm just not gonna read through 52 pages of a thread about fakes of guitars I don't really care too much about. It's nice that you and your fellow Epi enthusiasts took the time to post it although I could do without the diatribe about cheap jobs overseas which BTW you can thank domestic labor unions for, but other than that the first 2 or 3 pages were very informative although I still have a hard time believing it's all that profitable to make fake Epi's.

7. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Well pardon the hell out of me for not being an expert in cheap guitars! You're absolutely correct, I am ignorant when it comes to cheap copies of real Gibson Les Pauls but I really don't see that as much of a downside since I'm very partial to the American made real thing. I guess someone needs to spend their life studying guitars that retail for $500 so it might as well be you...:rolleyes:

8. Csharp

Csharp Senior Member

Bill', Our fake spotting efforts are to help keep the less informed from paying for what they believe to be a 'good deal'. The Chinese have been counterfeiting Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, Gretch, Rickenbacher and others. It's easy for some to get ripped off, because they don't know that fakes exist. There's no need to slam the good guys for trying to help.

9. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Well I generally try not to "slam" anyone unless they ask for it and quite honestly being characterized as ignorant qualifies in my book so...

There are lots and lots of ways to communicate without offending but it takes time to learn that and even then some never do. I realize there are some younger members here who don't understand that yet so maybe this will help them out. I've been a Mod on internet forums since the late 90s and have dealt with more than a few rambunctious contributors so I know first hand of which I speak. Fortunately I'm not a Mod here so there's no need to keep the gloves on :naughty:

10. GNR4EVR

Ignorant just means uninformed, get a dictionary (Now Im being condescending)...

11. GNR4EVR

ANd suit yourself, if you choose not to know the reasons why or the proof that there ARE indeed fakes all over the internet- I just pointed you to the answers why. So be it.

12. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Thanks but a dictionary is unnecessary, I'm well aware of the literal definition of ignorant however the context in which it was used was derogatory (a fairly common occurrence) and it's why I replied in kind. Oh and BTW you're not really being condescending, you're being dismissive but then I wouldn't expect you to be able to grasp the difference.

13. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

As is my wont I generally do suit myself. In order to decide to expend the mental energy required to wade through 50+ pages of drivel about $200 copies of $500 guitars, I would really have to care about them more and quite frankly I don't so there you have it. Thanks for pointing out the location of the information, I'll know exactly where it is in the future should I have so much spare time on my hands and so little life as to develop an interest.

14. GNR4EVR

:rolleyes: Then why ask why?
    Whatever...
    As Sin said.. Ignorance...:rolleyes:

15. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Now come on kids - lets play nice or Mummy will take your toys off you......(oh no, maybe they'll star picking on ME now).

16. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

I think his questioning, "A fake Epiphone? Why would anyone bother?" was of a rhetorical nature.

"Bill', Our fake spotting efforts are to help keep the less informed from paying for what they believe to be a 'good deal'. The Chinese have been counterfeiting Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, Gretch, Rickenbacher and others. It's easy for some to get ripped off, because they don't know that fakes exist. There's no need to slam the good guys for trying to help."

CS, I don't think he was slamming GNR for "trying to help" but for tone of of his reply to the question. I think it was the "Oh boy, here we go again..." part that Bill might have taken exception to. Guess what GNR? This is a public forum with new members joining every day, asking the same questions about the same subjects over and over and over. If it is such a burden to answer their questions, simply ignore them in the future. Or just tell them where to look or post a link to the proper thread. It's really that simple. As for as Sin's comment "I've just stopped answering their questions. Just pure ignorance." Doesn't sound like he's being a "good guy trying to help" to me and was totally unnecessary.

17. GNR4EVR

Fair enough, and well put. So everyone knows, we just went through this with another guy a few weeks ago, thats where the "Oh boy, here we go again" comment was about, and it reeked of anti-Epiphone LP sentiment so much that it stunk to high heaven. AND it was impossible to explain to the guy just why anyone would anyone fake such a cheap P.O.S. Epiphone after days and days of going over it and showing it to him, he eventually just left. And THAT went on in the Epiphone thread. That is also what Sin meant by the ignorance comment. And he asked and I told him where he could read all about it earlier in this thread.
    If ANYONE is all that sensitive to that minor of an opening comment, well, sorry, guess their skin is a bit too thin (no offense intended, nor implied, Bill, just an example). Just smells of another Gibson anti-Epiphone owner looking for a scrap in the thread. And not one that I either condone, nor engage in.
    If you read, I simply explained, without any rude tone at all about the whys and whats he asked for regarding Fake Epis. If anyone wants to know, I will happily help... Right up until someone gets nasty, then all bets are off.
    But thank you for your consructive feedback, much appreciated.:)

18. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

No problems here. It always goes back to how the written word is interpreted.
    "see the dog run" can mean two different things depending on how you interpret it. And if that makes someone upset, well then they just don't like dogs. :D