Would You Pay $7,999.00 for a Gibson True Historic Les Paul Aged 1959 Vintage Cherry Sunburst?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by HearHear, Sep 30, 2017.

1. waxout

waxout Junior Member

A guitar is worth whatever it is worth to you... that said, guitars in this price range (particularly Gibsons) are beyond modification. Meaning, if there is anything, ANYTHING you don't like about it and want to change... you can't, without cutting the value by more than half. So I hope the pickups, pots, bridge, saddles, nut, frets, tuners, tailpiece and caps are all exactly as you want them. There are people who make a living by determining if the solder is original.

2. joff

joff Senior Member

'A fool and his money are soon parted'. :doh:

3. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

4. jamman

jamman Premium Member

wulfman and RAG7890 like this.
  5. ht-57

ht-57 Member

6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

7. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

$8k no f'ing way.

there is nothing special about it apart from what it claims to be

8. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Nope.

No sir, I don't like it.

I don't like it one bit.

9. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

I can't see myself ever parting with so much for that. Yes it's got some once-in-a-lifetime things or specs or whatevers, but for less than half of that I can get a regular historic, and half again a close representation with a USA line model.

For me, the '59 is over-rated. Deal with that and hate the statement as much as you wish - that's my opinion and we all have one. The '58 for me should be held in much higher regard and I'd be considerably happier with an R8 for a few thousand less! :D

10. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

False information here. Fake news. LOL. You will not cut the value in half by modding the guitar. Not even close. If it's a CC or an Artist series, you will take more of a hit for it not being the original tuners, pickups, or whatever, but, not half.

I have a 2013 R9 that I bought new for 4k. I may not recover any money from the Skinnerburst pickups and the MSSC harness in it, but if you are implying that I will only be able to sell it for 2k, you are nuts. If I did the same thing to a CC or artist run that I bought for let's say, 6k, I might expect to lose a grand or so because of said mods. Not 3k though.

If you are buying ANYTHING at MAP pricing, you will pretty much lose half, but that has nothing to do with mods.

11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

We all do what we want, so I can only speak for myself. In response to the OP: Absolutely not. I love the specs on that guitar, but see value only way, way below not only the ripoff "list" price, but also the still-inflated street price. Personally, I find the "True Historic" idea to be a joke, because it's literally "Fake Historic" because it's not historic. It's new production following old specs. The very thing that makes something historic -- age, and the effects of age -- are not involved, merely imitated. I might buy one of these off the used market, after the inflated "new guitar" (new historic? huh?), elite model nonsense gets stripped away so that you're not paying for concepts and ideas and image, and instead can get down to buying a guitar as a guitar. I know many people feel otherwise, and are equally correct, but for me, these and the CCs and the reissues are all basically created to meet ideas and self-images and obsessions -- for top dollar -- and have little to no musical motivation involved.

12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

jamman likes this.
  13. jimijam33

jimijam33 Junior Member

I've played several TH LP's and they are (to my ears) brighter sounding then Gibson standard Historic Les Paul's. TH = all hyde glue joinery, SH = hyde glue in the neck joint only. Both have custom bucker pickups (Alnico III). Would I pay $8k for a TH? NO!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    ht-57 likes this.
  14. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to a lot of things guitar, especially construction, but I worked in a furniture shop for a few years and Titebond was used and when we had to repair newer (months up to a year or so) cabinets and take them apart the glue was pretty soft but we also took apart furniture that was several years old and it was more brittle so I think Titebond continues to harden over time.

The only time they used hide glue was for veneer with out backing. If I remember correctly it was because it dried faster and didn't ripple the veneer over time like titebond would.

I totally agree with, if the construction is spot on the glue has little effect on tone.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  15. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

So long as it doesn't involve going into debt or carrying a credit card balance, I would buy the guitar I want and negotiate the best price I can get.
    The fact that there are other guitars, that I don't want, available at cheaper prices doesn't matter. I don't want those guitars and so spending any money at all for them would be more foolish than buying a high priced guitar that I do want.
    Buy once, buy right.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    lpthomas likes this.
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

:eek2: I'm in trouble .... Since I've posted before, I was done buying Gibson's:dunno:
    I've been itching for a Single coil or P-90 something , before I'm out-a-here(USA)
    Hi ,,,Fender ,,,, :shock: :laugh2:

17. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

18. Macaz

Macaz Junior Member

3633736E-C7A7-49C6-80DE-EBFB3E7AE39F.jpeg I hear a lot of people judge a True Historic without owning one or even playing one.
    I also hear a lot of people who own them and love them.
    I own one and totally love it.
    Maybe I’m fooled by paying a lot of hard earned cash for it or maybe it’s because I’ve put all that effort in to get one that it feels special to me. I can not honestly say if I’ve been ‘fooled’ or not.
    However, what I can honestly say is that, for me, it’s a work of art.
    It feels beautiful, it plays beautifully and it really does sound amazing, plugged in or un-plugged!!
    Maybe it’s the wood or the glue or the thin finish or the long tenon or the plastic or some other brochure hype, I just don’t know but there is something.
    There is a definite resonance and reverberation that surpasses my other Les Pauls.
    Tested blindfolded!
    I have a relationship with it that I never had with any of my other guitars.
    I’ve got a few guitars and one of them just as expensive but this beats them all.
    Sure, you can get fantastic guitars at half the price. I have some!
    If it engages with you then the price is just an obstacle to get over. I’ve never regretted the cost of it.
    You take your choice.
    Everyone to their own.
    I would have a second one if I could.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. Lebond

Lebond Member

100% agree Macaz

20. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

No. I could get 4 nice traditionals or a couple traditionals and a good amp. Just too much money for me to plunk down on one guitar.

Shadow Explorer likes this.