Would You Pay $7,999.00 for a Gibson True Historic Les Paul Aged 1959 Vintage Cherry Sunburst?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by HearHear, Sep 30, 2017.

1. tokairic

tokairic Member

Dead right. Good used LP Standards are selling in the UK for around £1000 - £1500. Or you could buy an untidy one for a makeover for less. If you paid a luthier £1000 to recreate a '59 replica (which is all Gibson have done), you would still be thousands in hand.

2. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

I want the '57 for the same price and am in the same situation. When it comes down to pressing the button I know it will never happen. You should be able the find the same used (or so called) for a few K less.

3. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

hell no.

4. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

Nope. Had a bunch of historics myself from '99 to '14. Couple were Brazilian and Murphy too. Sold the last one in 2015. Have strummed a few since. Quality is my biggest problem with those things these days.

5. SoK66

SoK66 Junior Member

When I see prices like that I'm reminded of my real '60, purchased in 1970 for $425.....but I digress....

6. Jay See

Jay See Junior Member

No question about it. Look at the flame on that one. It's just...it's quite unbelievable.

7. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

The real question is since the OP posted this and has not responded since.......Did he buy it or deny it?

ht-57 likes this.
  8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Dude if you can even think about buying a guitar for USD6999.00 then go for it !
    You may even be able to get them to lower the price somewhat.
    Specs look like they went into a lot of detail to recreate that model.
    It certainly looks beautiful.
    Trust you can return it.
    Only one question for the guys in the know is: Did the '59's have this ?
    Tailpiece: Reissue Lightweight Aluminum

People who can afford Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus drive them
    People who can't drive Fords & Chevys ( and everything else )

9. SolidBubba

SolidBubba Junior Member

Heck it's on sale now for $6,999
    Maybe we've stumbled across some sort of Walmart rollback pricing algorithm.
    Based off of the view counts and lack of purchase. :p:rofl:

PS
    No way in hell, not even at $4,999.
    1. You haven't even played it.
    2. Let someone else buy it, wait two years and pick it up for 1/3 off.

10. 7844martin

7844martin Junior Member

$_14(3).JPG $_12.PNG $_14(9).JPG $_14.JPG
    How about this guitar- China made - 1 piece mahogany body & neck, ebony fret board, pearloid Inlays - $375.00usd -!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
  11. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

12. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

I think the price is steep, but what the TH has over the USA Division Gibson is better, non-weight relived wood, Hide Glue is used for all wood joints. The white Titebond crap is like placing a sheet of vinyl between each piece of wood. It also never completely dries. Hide Glue as it dries pulls the two pieces of wood together and crystalizes over times and bonds the two pieces together considerably better. In the old Kalamazoo factory they used Urea Formaldhyde & Hide Glues. Urea acts the same as Hide Glue except you can dry it faster with Microwaves. It was referred to a "Radio Glue" and used to join the tops to the back. I'm just guessing as to the USA Div. still using the shitty sheathed trussrods still which deadened the string vibration transfer. The neck angle is wrong on the USA factory ones, the body shape is off in places and binding is ABS plastic and not the Celluloid & Royalite like used originally. I've played so many original Les Paul's that once you play one of those, you really will find out why the TH's are a much better build, feel better & play better than anything that comes out of the regular factory. The Custom Shop TH's are built the closest to the originals. I own 4 Historics and they've all been to Historic Makeovers and are the RDS upgrades. My R-0 actually plays & sounds better than some originals I've played. They made "just o.k." guitars back then as well as amazing one. It was mostly hand built then. My `59 L.P. Special has the same neck and wood as the Standard's.
    Flame; come on.. It was never about how much flame each top had back then, it was about how it played and sounded. Nice flame was just a plus, but you have to remember that Gibson in those days was in the business of "manufacturing" guitars and used whatever they had from their wood supplier. The guitars like Super 400's, etc all got the premium pieces of maple. Nobody in Kalamazoo cherry-picked the tops for Les Paul's like they do now. some of the best sounding Original Les Paul's I've played had fairly plain tops. If you're buying a Les Paul for the looks, then you're missing the whole point. Buy with your ears & your hands. If you're buying one for looks then you're just putting lipstick on a pig.
    I would buy a TH over any LP from the USA Div.. Yeah, the prices are outta sight, but that was way out of Edwin's hands when they went to price them out. That was Henry's doing along with their accountants. Buy an Historic, send it to Kim @ Historic Makeovers and get some Butyrate rings and stuff from Throbak or Bartlett. If you buy a TH you still need to replace those pickups & pots..
    The amount of hand-work, care and attention that goes into a TH far exceeds what's done across town in the USA factory. The guitars are my tools. I want the best tools I can get without having to take out a loan on my house or my cars. A better built guitar is going to make me an even better player in the long run.

JEDHRMC and BanditPanda like this.
  13. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Silver Supporter

my answer would be not 'yes' .

14. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Is that a Banksy in your avatar?

15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Just a few points here, Titebond is actually a great glue for Guitar building, when used correctly with a correctly made mortise & tenon joint................not as a Gibson Historic Gap Filler, when they get it wrong.

Actually come to think of it does the steaming off of a Neck which has a badly fitting mortise & tenon joint (neck pocket etc.) make the Titebond "look" worse than it normally would, so people can go ooh & ahh? Anyone want to comment on that?

IMHO, the vast majority of comments on this & other Forums re Titebond are total BS.

Phenol Formaldehyde was more than likely used, not Urea Formaldehyde.

Lastly while I understand the thinking of using the correct Plastics etc., all people are doing is pi$$ing money up against a wall "window dressing" their Guitar so they feel good.

My 2c FWIW.
    :cheers2:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Playing bar chords & double stops no one can tell what glue holds my guitar together !

ht-57 and RAG7890 like this.
  17. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Never. I could buy a 1950's Special in great condition for probably less.

Blue Blood likes this.
  18. bungle

bungle Senior Member

NO

Blue Blood likes this.
  19. bungle

bungle Senior Member

:photos:Or it didn't happen.

20. bungle

bungle Senior Member