Would you buy an Ultra III

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by bradburgart, Mar 12, 2017.

1. bradburgart

bradburgart Junior Member

What and the pro's and con's of buying one of these. I'm aware of fret buzz on early models and assume this is fixed or maybe I shouldn't assume. Please advise any thoughts on a brand new model. I'm looking at the Vintage Sunburst colour.
    Thank you in advance. IMG_1252.JPG

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

I own an ultra Pro and it's a very well made guitar.

The newer Ultra III's are Medium/light weight at 7.5-8 lbs. They have a really nice resonant quality. The pups are great.

The cons to the current Ultra III would be the really goofy (IMO) non standard electronics and possibly the neck profile.

The Ultra I own has an exaggerated D profile neck. Too my hands the D profile shoulders are a way too pronounced. If possible you should do a hands on to pick one that works for you. I'm sure there is some variance with the neck profiles.

3. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

I own one now for 2 weeks, and its just a great axe. Pretty lightweight tx Chamberd, great versatility in Tones, very Special the NanoMag acoustic Sound. Although that one Trends to buzz. The Neck back is matted, for me perfect! Good for Speed :))

4. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

I own an Ultra I, I like how light it is, because of the chambering but that also makes it a bit neck heavy.
    After I bought a leatherstrap with a "rough" backside it's not a problem any longer.

5. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I've owned an Ultra-II for a few years
    liked the light weight and the various sounds

currently I would not buy the Ultra-III just because of the electronic gimicks
    simply 'cause I don't need them

6. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

I see them for cheap sometimes and have considered it. If I was looking for another guitar I would consider one at the right price. Right now I need another guitar like I need another hole in the head.

7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Where do you see them for cheap? Sweetwater's price is $749 plus the cost of a case.

8. Dun Ringill

Ebay and Craigslist tend to have them for half of retail or less. I have seen them as low as $200. If I was looking, I would pick one up for $200-$300.

EDIT: Looks like Ebay is running $400-$500 right now. I'd check back.

Dolebludger likes this.
  9. Dun Ringill

I did a search of SOLD listings on Ebay and there are several below $300. Some under $200!

Dolebludger likes this.
  10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Does it matter what year the Ultra III is?

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I'd avoid the first year (2011/12) of the Ultra-III
    They had massive issues with the electronics

posted by the CEO Jim Rosenberg himself on the corporate forum

Dun Ringill likes this.
  12. Steve Strunk

Steve Strunk Junior Member

I have played for over 30 years and have owned a variety of Gibson, Fender, and Epiphone guitars. I currently have both the Epiphone Ultra II and the Ultra III. Both have their own particular feel and sound. The Ultra II seems to be heavier with a thicker neck than the III. The II seems to have a generally more mellow sound but the III has more volume and brightness in sound. I wanted to sell one but really like both of them. I have not noticed any neck buzz on the III. The II and the III play well. The three places to look for a used guitar (IMHO) are Ebay, Reverb, and Guitar Center online. My best deals have come from Reverb and Guitar Center. Be patient and you will get a III for under $400 and possibly a II for a bit over $300. The easiest place to return an instrument is Guitar Center.

13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I had an Ultra 3. Fine guitar. Sold it. regret doing so now, sort of replaced it with a different solution eventually.

The fret buzz issues derived from the nanomag. It has a strong pull that caused the buzz. I fixed mine with higher gauge low strings.