Would swapping a speaker increase clean headroom?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Aug 13, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

So I'm thinking about changing the speaker in my Fender '68 Princeton Reverb Reissue. It currently has a 1x10 Celestion speaker (not sure what model). Would a speaker change increase clean headroom? If so, what would you recommend?

Here's the amp and the specs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIh93o4b3T1QIVgy-BCh0IQgQeEAQYASABEgJxVfD_BwE

bulletproof likes this.
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

In short no. Thats the function of the amp.

You might get close to what you want by a very sensitive speaker - giving you a fraction more volume out of each setting.

3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1

cooljuk likes this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Not always, but some power tubes can marginally increase headroom. I switched from EL-84s to Soviet 6P14P-EV tubes in my VOX and got a bump. I dunno about 6V6 tubes.

I'll agree that a speaker swap wont boost your headroom. However, I just finished researching 10" speakers and found the Ten 30 to be the least appealing in sound clips. I ended up getting a Jensen MOD 10-50 and it sounds really good for a practice amp speaker.

6. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

The '68 custom series amps are designed for earlier breakup than the reissue series. So you may be on something of a hiding to nothing in looking for more headroom.

A more efficient speaker can give you more volume at the same settings but if you're starting with a 10" speaker rated at 95 db, you don't have many more efficient options and the difference will only be slight.

In my 65 PRRI, I swapped out the stock P10Q rated at 93dB sensitivity for an Alnico Gold 10 rated at 98dB sensitivity and I get a fraction more clean volume at gigging levels. The Gold is a nicer sounding speaker though, that's why I made the swap.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    BlueCajun and bulletproof like this.
  7. MichaelAndrew3435

I should have mentioned in the OP that in general, I'm not a huge fan of the current speaker (Ten 30). I was just curious if a speaker would increase clean headroom because that's what I mainly use it for.

What amp did you match with the Jensen MOD 10-50?

EDIT: If I decided to go with the MOD Series, would the 10-35 be more ideal for a 12 watt amp?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  8. northernguitarguy

I had a dead Peavey Envoy 110 collecting dust in the basement and I took out the amp and converted it to an excellent 1x10 open back cab. I use it with my VOX. The MOD was on a short list of low cost speakers I was considering and a new one popped up cheap on the local used market. It's an excellent little speaker and I'm really pleased with this for a practice setup.

9. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

yes, if the speaker is rated more sensitive than whats already there.

put simply, the db or sensitivity rating reflects how efficient the speaker is at converting electricity into sound pressure waves hence a higher db rating speaker will sound louder before the break up point is reached. A couple of db's can make a big difference

bulletproof likes this.
  10. MichaelAndrew3435

11. northernguitarguy

12. northernguitarguy

Another excellent source is Don from Soul Tramp. He's experimented with many speakers and would have the best insights, IMO. Good guy, too.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. MichaelAndrew3435

I'm just using it for home use. Don is one of the most knowledgable people on this forum. I had one of his Tweed 12 heads but I traded it for a lower watt amp because it was a bit too loud for home use. Beautiful head, just didn't get the playing time. He'd most likely recommend a Weber speaker which is what I used with that head. Those are great speakers for Fender amps too.

14. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

A speaker change won't necessarily help but as others have said a Celestion 40w Gold wouldn't hurt at all.
    I've changed the preamp tube in my smaller amps in V1 to a 12AY7 and that definitely allows more headroom compared to the 12AX7 plus there's only a marginal difference in output volume.

15. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Right, more watts generally means more headroom. You should have kept the Soul Tramp amp and turned it down.

ac/dcfan87 and bulletproof like this.
  16. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

My factory special run PRRI originally came with a Jensen P10R. Sounds great at low volume. But I don't like it at all turned up past 3 or 4. It starts to get especially bright and IMO doesn't sound good as the amp breaks up. I've been through several speakers for this amp and here are my favorites:
    American: Eminence Alessandro GA10-SC64. This is what the Jensen reissue speakers want to sound like. I cannot speak highly enough of this speaker in a Princeton Reverb.
    British: Celestion G10 Gold or G10 Vintage. If you want more mids, these are both really nice sounding speakers. I like the Gold more than the Vintage. But the Gold costs quite a bit more.

By the way, all of these speakers are more efficient than the Jensen P10R. So at the same level on the volume knob, they will all sound louder.

Hope that helps.

17. MichaelAndrew3435

I went with the P10R. Most of the negative reviews I've read are similar to yours. If it brightens up the sound, I think I'll like it. One big difference I've noticed between the PRRI and the DRRI is that the DRRI I had was a lot brighter. I loved that amp but I sold it because I needed money at the time. It came with a Jensen speaker but I'm not sure which model.

I'm trying to make this amp sound "less" British as possible. I already have a Bogner and 2 Blackstars which give me all the British tonez I need.

northernguitarguy and BlueCajun like this.
  18. northernguitarguy

Brighter will 'sound' louder.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  19. MichaelAndrew3435

Swapped it. Definitely an upgrade. The extra brightness can easily be adjusted by turning the treble down. Cleans sound a lot better, and OD/Distortion sound pretty similar compared to the stock speaker, which is fine. I'm glad I did the exchange.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  20. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Only if the speaker is inside a more powerful amplifier ...

northernguitarguy likes this.