Would iron Gear pickups be an upgrade from standard Epiphone pickups?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Jackangus, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mikekim

mikekim Junior Member

same here... cant recommend Irongear pickups highly enough.
    when i upgraded my Epi Prophecy I went with Irongear Tesla Sharks and installed a Charles Guitars wiring loom with Luxe repro caps.
    running a straight A/B against my SGj i had at the time fitted with SD Slash SDII's, there was no noticeable difference over the Tesla Sharks, which where 33% of the Cost of the Duncan Set.

have also installed a rolling mill in a single pickup guitar, and a set of Texas Locos in a partcaster, both of which sounded great.
    for the cost you'd be stupid not to at least try them, as they're fantastic value for money.

Gooner and BADMAN67 like this.
  2. jbat

jbat Member

Just your opinion.

3. randomguitarist

randomguitarist Member

Interesting thread. I bought a pair of irongear blues engines for a cheap les paul copy (Vintage brand). They are really nice, in that particular guitar there is just something in the tone that makes me want to keep on playing. They are a low output 'PAF sounding' pickup, very clear very nice.

I did put SD alnico pro 2's in the guitar as well and didn't get anything like the same result. The pro 2's were OK, until I heard the iron gears. Having said that there's a question of taste with the whole thing as well. The SDs were a good sound but not the one I wanted. I suspect the irongears are a bit more microphonic, I've not gigged this guitar yet so don't know if that will be a problem, at fairly loud recording levels irongears are squeal-free.

I have a couple of Gibson studios and right now neither of them sound as good as the cheap guitar with the cheap pickups. I'm not entirely happy about that but it's true.
    Having said that I don't believe pickups are the whole story with tone, wood and construction do play some part, even if not in a terribly predictable way, so your mileage may very.

Gooner likes this.
  4. Marco_1975

Marco_1975 Junior Member

I do gig with an ‘01 Epi LP with iron gear blues engine ( neck) and tesla shark (bridge), combined with a Line6 Pod XT and Fender Blues deluxe 40 Watts. Even at higher volumes the tone definition stands out. Very controllable feed back: only if the pu’s are in the direction of the amp and close to the speaker. BTW these are the open coil types!

The neck blues engine has a really warm sound, even great for soloing with an OD/distortion. I use this pickup for most of my sounds.