Would a '79 Standard have full size humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by barchiola, Jun 19, 2017.

1. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Here's a pic, guitar is about an hour away from me. Thanks!

79 Standard LP.jpg

2. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

volute looks a little funky
    79 Standard LP volute.jpg

3. gball

gball Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, yes. I think If it had minis it'd be a Deluxe, but there are people here more knowledgeable than I.

The volute looks identical to the one on my '79 Custom.

4. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

As far as I know, ALL standards come with full size humbuckers. Deluxes had the mini hums though a large number of those were rerouted for full size humbuckers at some point.

5. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

I am on my way to go look at it.....

6. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Guitar was in rough shape so I left without it. Bridge hardware was pitted, pickups looked like someone maybe rewound them but held a heat gun to them just to give them a nice singed appearance, back of neck was warn through the finish, laquer on the front was pitted/scratched, cracks in the finish around the neck/body joint.....maybe if I was in the habit of rebuilding/refinishing these and had a supply of parts I could have done something with it but he also said Guitar Center already offered him $1500 for it. I said I'd be a buyer closer to $1000 but even then I don't have time for a project so I passed.

Learned a lot though so another day wiser. :)

7. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Just curious what a restored '79 would be worth if it was kept reasonably close to stock.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

The two things i'd be worried about are the "cracks around the neck/body joint" - there simply shouldn't be any - and looking at the pickup routes and pickups themselves.
    As said above the cavities might well be routed and the pickups colour looks suspicious to me. I don't think Gibson did T-tops in white, and they should have had a cover if original.

Otherwise what you describe is a well used ~40 year old "player guitar" which in stock state still is worth more than a refinished one. Marketing would call this a "natural relic" :D
    Whatever work you put into them is not going to alter their value significantly, and might even detract from their value, just for future reference...

9. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Thanks for the reply! Worth $1500 though if the neck/body joint is stable?

10. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

I'm in Denmark, so can't answer price questions for other countries/continents :)

On a well treated Gibson neck joint you may see/feel the outline of the joint through the finish, but there should be no cracking (more than on the rest of the body) in that area.

To me cracks around the joint seams mean that there has been something bad happening to the guitar. A fall or, worst case scenario, even a broken neck that's been glued back on.

Even if it is stable, imo signs of breakage/stress reduce the value of the guitar. By how much depends on the going rates in your location and your haggling power :)

11. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Seemed like you made up your mind the first time.
    If it was worth $1500 to you you would have known it when you had it in your hands.
    There's no real price on a guitar except for what you're willing to pay for it.
    Personally I've always said that money is money is money. You can always get money.
    Win some, lose some but money is money.
    A guitar is quite unique and it's worth less to some and more to others.
    Once it's gone, you can (most probably) never get it back.

If you're questioning your decision to pass because you "want" it, then try to resolve the price issue in your mind.
    If you're questioning your decision to pass because you think there might be a way to squeeze a little profit from it
    you're on the wrong track.

12. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

not worrying about profit, just hate to lose money by making bad decisions. i might call the guy back and see about taking another look at it. it was so much worse than he described i was kind of in shock that i drove that far for a "relic". lol

lots to do today around the house, plenty of time to think about it! :(

13. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I would be more worried about what other gremlins are lurking in a piece that the seller already misrepresented in his description. He may just be naïve, or could be hiding something about it's history. A routed LP Deluxe with replacement PUs and NO neck issues, good frets, etc. is a good player, but a grand, tops in todays market. As long as the bridge hasn't collapsed, I wouldn't worry about the finish wear on the hardware. It is typical of instruments that have been played a lot (usually a good sign to me). Let us know how it works out

14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its an old guitar. If its showing its age then more than likely its simply been played. If you don't like an old guitar looking its age, buy a new one. Its pretty simple. The way you have been going on I don't think you are really cut out for owning old guitars full stop.

I would be worried about a guitar that old being pristine actually. There are so few of those 'found under bed' stories anymore that the guitars that look new are more often than not the dogs that never got played.

15. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

I'm not worthy! roflmao
    All because I didn't want to drop $1500 on a guitar that looked like it spent the last thirty years in someone's hot attic. ok, i'll give you the guy's number, you buy it.

16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep. Old guitars look old. When we start to have false expectations it can often feel a little odd when these are pointed out to us.

And I'm sure a bright-eyed person like you could see why that guitar would be a spectacular failure as a target purchase for myself.

17. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Are you a comedian as your day job? There's a point where "relic" crosses over to just "wreck", someone else can have a go at it.

You've wasted enough of your time on me, maybe you can go look down on someone else now.